Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Any of you argumentative folks want to jam???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Any of you argumentative folks want to jam???

I found this nice funky backing track to Billy Cobham's "Red Baron", and instead of watching football (which I loathe, like I was a commie or somethin') I grabbed it and did a quick take. Anyone else fancy a go at it? Opposite Day, I bet you're ALL OVER this one

Red Baron backing track

Red Baron Ant's take 1

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

I like what you did there. Nice phrasing and great tone.

Did you add keys to the backing tracks too or was that Rhodes part already there?

I may have a go at it after supper (I'm not watching football either) but I don't have anyway to post it online. 

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

• yumpy
      yumpy commented
      Editing a comment

onelife wrote:

Did you add keys to the backing tracks too or was that Rhodes part already there?

I may have a go at it after supper (I'm not watching football either) but I don't have anyway to post it online. 

soundcloud.com

• Red Ant
      Red Ant commented
      Editing a comment

onelife wrote:

No, the Rhodes was already there - had I played it, it would have been a lot dirtier and less "polite"

Red Ant wrote:

I found this nice funky backing track to Billy Cobham's "Red Baron", and instead of watching football (which I loathe, like I was a commie or somethin') I grabbed it and did a quick take. Anyone else fancy a go at it? Opposite Day, I bet you're ALL OVER this one

Red Baron backing track

Red Baron Ant's take 1

Vintage Ant!. Love the sixes you hit over the ones in the melody. More sixes make it more dorianer I always say. Laid back and in command. Wouldn't change a note. Great stuff!!!

By band does this one. The triplet bit threw me for a while, but I just kinda figured it as a five note sequence played in a four beat rhythm consisting of three eighth note triplets, one of which is doubled each time around.

Well that sounds about eighteen times more complicated than it is.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• Red Ant
      Red Ant commented
      Editing a comment

Opposite Day wrote:

Red Ant wrote:

Red Baron backing track

Red Baron Ant's take 1

Vintage Ant!. Love the sixes you hit over the ones in the melody. More sixes make it more dorianer I always say. Laid back and in command. Wouldn't change a note. Great stuff!!!

By band does this one. The triplet bit threw me for a while, but I just kinda figured it as a five note sequence played in a four beat rhythm consisting of three eighth note triplets, one of which is doubled each time around.

Well that sounds about eighteen times more complicated than it is.

My band does this one also... we kinda struggle with the triplets That's why I did this take - even though I play keys in the band, I thought this backing track did a very good job with that part, so I wanted to get more comfy with it.

Don't be scared... It's only 2 chords!
    Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

Key is G Dorian - meaning any mode of F Maj. will work over the progression, which is a ii - V.

-- Vaclav Havel

-- Carl Sagan

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

I don't have a way of posting audio online so I made a video thinking that I could simply add it to the post.

It's a little sloppy in places but I confess that I didn't spend a lot of time learning all the bits.

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

• Opposite Day
        Opposite Day commented
        Editing a comment

onelife wrote:

I don't have a way of posting audio online so I made a video thinking that I could simply add it to the post.

It's a little sloppy in places but I confess that I didn't spend a lot of time learning all the bits.

Very cool! Dig the Wes Montgommery octaves. Great tone. Mature playing. f

Attached Files

• Red Ant
        Red Ant commented
        Editing a comment

Nice! Dig the octaves and the bell-like clean tone!

Red Ant wrote:

Red Baron backing track

Red Baron Ant's take 1

I'd love to jam with you, but having heard the brilliant job you did I fear I'd only be showing my lack of talent.

You play really well!

Question: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?

Answer: because it was dead.

Comment

• Red Ant
        Red Ant commented
        Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

Red Ant wrote:

Red Baron backing track

Red Baron Ant's take 1

I'd love to jam with you, but having heard the brilliant job you did I fear I'd only be showing my lack of talent.

You play really well!

Why, thank you!

Working...
    X