Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dormer, first human targeted for drone in US

Yesterday, as a task force of 125 officers, some riding Snowcats in the rugged terrain, continued their search, it was revealed that Dorner has become the first human target for remotely-controlled airborne drones on US soil.

A senior police source said:

The drones aren't armed.   Using a drone, or a helicopter, or a Cessna 172, what's the difference.

And I feel pretty sure Dormer isn't the first "human being" to be tracked with a drone in the USA. 

You anti-drone guys can be ridiculous. 

Comment

• Another Brick
      Another Brick commented
      Editing a comment
      If the drone finds him I'm sure they will use live cops to pump him full of lead.

• normh
      normh commented
      Editing a comment

larry50 wrote:

The drones aren't armed.   Using a drone, or a helicopter, or a Cessna 172, what's the difference.

And I feel pretty sure Dormer isn't the first "human being" to be tracked with a drone in the USA. 

Did you read the linked article?  I think not. 

Here.  Allow me to give you the Slashdot write up:

Spy Drones Used To Hunt Down Christopher Dorner

"The Express reports that as a task force of 125 officers continue their search for Christopher Dorner in the rugged terrain around Big Bear, it was revealed that Dorner has become the first human target for remotely-controlled airborne drones on US soil. 'The thermal imaging cameras the drones use may be our only hope of finding him,' says a senior police source. 'On the ground, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.' The use of drones was confirmed by Customs and Border Patrol spokesman Ralph DeSio, who revealed agents have been prepared for Dorner to make a dash for the Mexican border since his rampage began. 'This agency has been at the forefront of domestic use of drones by law enforcement.' Dorner, who was fired from the LAPD in 2008 for lying about a fellow officer he accused of misconduct, has vowed to wreak revenge by 'killing officers and their families.' According to San Bernardino County Sheriff John McMahon: 'To be honest, he could be anywhere right now. Torching his own vehicle could have been a diversion to throw us off track. Anything is possible with this man.'"

Source: http://slashdot.org/

Who to believe, Them or you?

I think them.

• Minning Around
      Minning Around commented
      Editing a comment

larry50 wrote:

Really! What's the difference? If they have a damn good reason to use a drone then let them use a drone. If they don't have a damned good reason then no. It's not hard to come up with a smart drone law.

Another: Given that it's California , the bullets will likely be lead-free.

Comment

normh wrote:

Yesterday, as a task force of 125 officers, some riding Snowcats in the rugged terrain, continued their search, it was revealed that Dorner has become the first human target for remotely-controlled airborne drones on US soil.

Comment

• normh
        normh commented
        Editing a comment

Davo17 wrote:

im a practicing riverside county paramedix, i can tell you thermal imaging is standard to find people out in the brush etc, and this just appears to be an offshoot.

still not happy with it though.

The difference is in the intent and legal use.  You are generally seeking to help, not arrest.

normh wrote:

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
      ―J.S.B. Morse

Comment

• Davo17
        Davo17 commented
        Editing a comment
        alot of firefighters, cops, and medics were worried dorner might attack at the police funeral tommorow.

guess its over now though. he still took another cop with him today, as well as injuring another.

Working...
    X