Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas Jefferson Quotes on 2nd amendment and government.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Jefferson Quotes on 2nd amendment and government.

[Edit]  I have edited out quotes that do not have verification as having been said by Jefferson, still, some great quotes.

What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance?

God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion. The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive. If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty.... And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure.

The policy of the American government is to leave their citizens free, neither restraining nor aiding them in their pursuits.

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.

think myself that we have more machinery of government than is necessary, too many parasites living on the labor of the industrious. (Back then!)

I am not a friend to a very energetic government. It is always oppressive.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.

Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty.

An elective despotism was not the government we fought for.

Besides being a guitar player,
    I'm a big fan of the guitar.
    I love that damn instrument.
    -Steve Vai

considering no-one has suggested banning all guns, this threat is pointless

WARNING: may contain traces of Cynicism and Sarcasm

Comment

• Floyd Rosenbomb
      Floyd Rosenbomb commented
      Editing a comment

Bowe wrote:

considering no-one has suggested banning all guns, this threat is pointless

All guns have been banned in the UK, they have been banned in Mexico, violent crime is at an all time highs in these countries.  The only people with guns in those country's are the criminals, and they are emboldened to know that their fellow countrymen are unarmed sheep.  This is road that we are on, you trust government to always do what is right, I do not!

Can you guarantee that there will never be ethnic or religious cleansing in the United States?

Would you like to be able to defend yourself and your family in the case of a state emergency, I.E. LA riot, katrena, etc. 

The case in unlikely that I will have a fire in my home, but still like to keep a fire extinguisher on had.

It is unlikely that I will have to deal with looters, but if I do, I will be well armed and you want to take that away from me and have me put my trust in an incompetent government system to come save me in my time of need?  This is foolishness.

You say noone what has suggested banning all guns, but they have proposed banning guns that look scary, and limiting magazines to less then 10 rounds.  That is unacceptable, period. 

Why do I need an AR-15?

Why do you need more then one guitar?

Why do you need more then one pair of shoes?

Because you are free!  And you choose to do so.

Yup clearly jefferson sounds just like a modern statist liberal.

at least thats what that will tell you.

Comment

• Belva
      Belva commented
      Editing a comment

Davo17 wrote:

Yup clearly jefferson sounds just like a modern statist liberal.

at least thats what that will tell you.

How is that a problem?

Do a little research before you make an ass out of yourself by C and P-ing bogus Jefferson quotes.
    x

Comment

• mdwagner73
      mdwagner73 commented
      Editing a comment

Who cares what a slave-owning rapist had to say?

• Floyd Rosenbomb
      Editing a comment

slodge wrote:

Do a little research before you make an ass out of yourself by C and P-ing bogus Jefferson quotes.

What is bogus about them? 

They are his quotes. 

Do they make you uncomfortable?

Gun nuts like to lie about the founding fathers.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Comment

Your source was a personal blog, and you want to be taken seriously?

Comment

• Floyd Rosenbomb
        Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:

Who said anything about being taken seriously?

FYI, this is the Harmony Central Political forum.

• slodge
        slodge commented
        Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:

In fairness, he did man up about his source.

There are people here who would still be arguing, or ignoring, the validity of those quotes.

Bowe: They don't want to ban all guns, today. For now, they'll settle for those guns which would be most effective at defending ourselves against the government.

Comment

• savoldi
        savoldi commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Bowe: They don't want to ban all guns, today. For now, they'll settle for those guns which would be most effective at defending ourselves against the government.

Against the government doing what exactly? What's your trigger point, Hopalong?

• Godsky
        Godsky commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

That's what a lot of gun owners said when they restricted semi-automatics here.

We still live more freely than you guys.

Why are you guys so paranoid about your governement? This isn't the 19th century.

I'm all for gun ownership. Just not an arsenal that capable of taking out large amounts of people.

• larry50
        larry50 commented
        Editing a comment

You really think your little .22 AR-15 or Sig Sauer P227 is going to defend you when the "government" comes crashing through your door?  Think it'll  be enough when a company of crazy Marines arrives to destroy your house and your civil rights?  Are you completely mad?

Right wingers who offer this up as an argument in favor of their right to own rifles intended for combat only in the civilian world are completely delusional.  

Bowe: It is precisely what they're doing.

Comment

• Zeopold
        Zeopold commented
        Editing a comment

Mauser, they've done it already... I didn't spot any drones at Walmart last time I was over

• Bowe
        Bowe commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Bowe: It is precisely what they're doing.

of course it is

Yes we're not Australia. Do you really think our government is more nefarious and requiring its own populace be armed to confront it?
      https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
      http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

• Just Me
        Just Me commented
        Editing a comment

I feel like half the country is literally watching the other half go insane......

they cried when Obama adressed the school children, they freaked out  when the first lady suggested healthy eating, they fell in love with obvious nutcase  Sara Palin, they were certain that it was going to be Romney 2012 in a landslide, and now they are convinced Obama is going to make the 2nd ammendment go away, and so they are threatening  ..............somebody.

I wish these clowns would start a revolution - it would help to clear out some of the deadwood in the gene pool.

• mauser
        mauser commented
        Editing a comment

guido61 wrote:
        Do you really think our government is more nefarious and requiring its own populace be armed to confront it?

Today, or 10 years from now?  Or 20?

You know what the future holds about as well as I do.  The problem is that you'd like to pass laws which disarm the populace, not knowing whether we'll ever need to defend ourselves against the government or not.

I'm unwilling to take that chance and the government has never given me any reason whatsoever to trust it....regardless of which party is at the helm.

Fret: If you wish to be disarmed, you're free to do so. If you wish to trust a government with the track record of ours....you're free to do that as well.

Comment

• Belva
        Belva commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Fret: If you wish to be disarmed, you're free to do so. If you wish to trust a government with the track record of ours....you're free to do that as well. But yeranidiot

Fixt.

The 2nd Amendment isn't the only thing we have to worry about. The 1st, 4th and 5th are all under constant scrutiny by our elected officials to see what they can get away with. Study a bit of Greek history. If history does indeed repeat itself, it's up to the people to keep it from happening.

Working...
    X