Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trickle down economics doesn't work

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Trickle down economics doesn't work

    Obviously

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5oOLs2ns14&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky


    Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

  • #2
    In other news the sky is blue
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

    Comment


    • Ed
      Ed commented
      Editing a comment

      Then by all means, drive the evil corporations away. That should really help the ol' economy, eh? Hell, they are leaving anyway, so all you have to do is keep taxing them.


      Tax 'em out of their fancy boxers! They will leave for greener pastures and maybe then you can try your "middle out" approach to economics.


  • #3
    There are decades of statistics showing an increasing wealth gap from trickle down economics and still the idiots think it's an idea worth saving.

    Nope. Into the dustbin of history with you.

    TWO TERMS BITCHES! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    Comment


    • Minning Around
      Minning Around commented
      Editing a comment

      willhaven wrote:
      There are decades of statistics showing an increasing wealth gap from trickle down economics and still the idiots think it's an idea worth saving.

      Nope. Into the dustbin of history with you.

      Yes. The wealth/income gap is one of the three or four worst things threaten the nation. Trickle down has been like an internal assassin...or a cancer.


  • #4

    radomu wrote:
    Obviously

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5oOLs2ns14&feature=youtube_gdata_player

    Actually it does work becasue if it didn't, income statements and budgets wouldn't start with top-line revenue and end in expenses.

     

    What doesn't work is calling soemthing "trickle-down" and then spending more than you make.

     

    And the left derps it up as we see here...

     

    Wanna see "demand-side" in action. Just look at Obamacare and the increasing costs of health care.

    Comment


    • #5
      What doesn't work is believing that tax cuts for corporations and those on the top will result in greeter wages/wealth for those further down. Whether you want to call that "trickle down" or not is irrelevant.
      _________________________________________________
      band websites:
      http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
      https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
      https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
      http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

      Comment


      • Ed
        Ed commented
        Editing a comment

        guido61 wrote:
        What doesn't work is believing that tax cuts for corporations and those on the top will result in greeter wages/wealth for those further down. Whether you want to call that "trickle down" or not is irrelevant.

        Of course not.But if you take those tax cuts away, they will pass it on to the consumer, if they can. Businesses are in the business of making as much money as they can. Not giving you a high paying job and selling low priced goods.

        You want higher prices? Tax the businesses. You want lower prices? You can reduce their expenses and cross your fingers. The choice, is yours.


      • nedezero1
        nedezero1 commented
        Editing a comment

        guido61 wrote:
        What doesn't work is believing that tax cuts for corporations and those on the top will result in greeter wages/wealth for those further down. Whether you want to call that "trickle down" or not is irrelevant.

        Especially if a weak dollar and insane debt are creating a drag on th economy.

         

        But yeah I agree, if we take money away from rich people and corporations,  they'll grow and hire more people 'cuz they can't hide their money in secret vaults overseas keeping it away from the poor single moms that deserve it.


    • #6
      Not really. They can raise their prices and people just won't buy their products. It goes both ways
      "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

      Comment


      • Ed
        Ed commented
        Editing a comment

        LithiumZero wrote:
        Not really. They can raise their prices and people just won't buy their products. It goes both ways

        Yea, of course. People won't buy a widget that costs more than another widget, or they might simply decide they don't need a widget because it is too expensive.

        Change widgets to a gallon of gas. You want that?


    • #7
      You're right. They are in business making as much money as they can. But it isn't taxes that ultimately set the prices they can charge, it's the market. Demand for their goods and competition. Costs are only one factor and not the most important. If that were the case, nobody would ever go out of business. They'd just keep on passing on the costs

      And lower prices aren't and shouldn't be the only goal. Either as a business or as a consumer. That's just a downward spiral to poverty. One were currently heading towards, BTW.

      I have no desire to be Malaysia. But stuff sure is cheap there! I'd rather make a decent wage and pay fair money for quality items. YMMV.
      _________________________________________________
      band websites:
      http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
      https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
      https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
      http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

      Comment


      • Ed
        Ed commented
        Editing a comment

        guido61 wrote:
        And lower prices aren't and shouldn't be the only goal. Either as a business or as a consumer. That's just a downward spiral to poverty. One were currently heading towards, BTW.

        I have no desire to be Malaysia. But stuff sure is cheap there! I'd rather make a decent wage and pay fair money for quality items. YMMV.

        Trickle down economics isnt going to raise your wage. Not unless you can figure out how to get some more of that trickle down money.

        It is about lowering the cost of doing business, and that can result in lower prices.

        If you want a higher salary, you are going to have to look into investing in education of a desirable skill. If you can do lap dances, you don't work in Malaysia. You work in north dakota. If all you can do is sell encyclopedias door-to-door, I suggest you go back to school and learn how to work a brass pole.

        Trickle down economics won't raise your salary, but it might lower your expenses. And at the end of the day, that amounts to the same thing.


    • #8
      It seems Ed would be fine with his boss lowering his wages every year as long as prices kept dropping. He seems to think this is how an economy is supposed to function properly?
      _________________________________________________
      band websites:
      http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
      https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
      https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
      http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

      Comment


      • #9
        I don't know about secret vaults, but we're currently seeing many companies recording record profits and not hiring more people or increasing wages. Why? Because the demand for expanding their businesses doesn't presently exist. The idea that if only they paid a bit less tax on that profit this year that THEN they'd decide to hire more people is absurd.
        _________________________________________________
        band websites:
        http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
        https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
        https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
        http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

        Comment


        • nedezero1
          nedezero1 commented
          Editing a comment

          guido61 wrote:
          I don't know about secret vaults, but we're currently seeing many companies recording record profits and not hiring more people or increasing wages. Why? Because the demand for expanding their businesses doesn't presently exist. The idea that if only they paid a bit less tax on that profit this year that THEN they'd decide to hire more people is absurd.

          Umm....you do know there are other considerations in hiring right?

           

          You also know that capital to fund hiring is a prerequisite prior to the decision right?

           

          Yes increased demand is a reason, as is strategic growth, investment in R&D, compliance reasons,etc..etc..

           

          Point is there's other components to the equation than just "derp you didn't hire so should take yer money derp".


      • #10
        Get on your knees and now to your employer and thank him profusely for being so kind as to give you ANY job at all. In fact, I think everyone should go to work tomorrow and offer to take a 30% wage cut just out of gratitude and then beg him to not offshore your job.
        _________________________________________________
        band websites:
        http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
        https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
        https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
        http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

        Comment


        • Ed
          Ed commented
          Editing a comment

          guido61 wrote:
          Get on your knees and now to your employer and thank him profusely for being so kind as to give you ANY job at all. In fact, I think everyone should go to work tomorrow and offer to take a 30% wage cut just out of gratitude and then beg him to not offshore your job.



          I'm all for higher wages. You think taxing the corporations more is gonna get us higher wages?


        • RedRoadEnsemble
          RedRoadEnsemble commented
          Editing a comment

          Corporations are individuals. He/she has feelings, too.


      • #11
        Yes there are other components. That's the point. Trickle down (or whatever YOU like to call it) doesn't work.
        _________________________________________________
        band websites:
        http://www.JumpStartYourParty.com
        https://www.gigmasters.com/Rock/Jump-Start
        https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
        http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

        Comment


        • RedRoadEnsemble
          RedRoadEnsemble commented
          Editing a comment
          It worked for Ronny, but he was senile.

      • #12
        It's really as simple as letting developing country develop their own industry for their own internal demand for their own consumer base, while restricting capital flows so businesses won't flow out of the country.
        Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky


        Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

        Comment


        • Ed
          Ed commented
          Editing a comment

          radomu wrote:
          It's really as simple as letting developing country develop their own industry for their own internal demand for their own consumer base, while restricting capital flows so businesses won't flow out of the country.

          Just close your borders and keep all the money from leaving dodge?

          Yeah, have fun with that. Totally unrealistic and will never happen, but keep on dreamin'.


          Hey, it works for north korea.

          So basically you complain about "trickle down economics" not working because it doesnt raise salaries, when its more about lowering prices. And then you propose something that even banana republics are embarrased to do.

           


      • #13
        Feudalism seemed to not work so well for the serfs
        I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

        Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

        What happens up north, stays up north

        Comment


        • #14
          It won't happen without a massive popular movement because the corporations own the government. And trickle down economics doesn't work.
          Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky


          Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

          Comment


          • Ed
            Ed commented
            Editing a comment

            radomu wrote:
            It won't happen without a massive popular movement because the corporations own the government. And trickle down economics doesn't work.

            Not that I agree, but if you are waiting for the OWS to come out of their parents' basements to start this massive popular movement again, you really don't have anything that will work, either.

            In the meantime, it is an undeniable truth that corporations are greedy, and if you tax them more, they are going to pass those costs on to the consumer.

            So what you want are higher prices, without higher wages to compensate.


        • #15
          Hey ed... find some examples of trickle down working for all parties involved
          I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

          Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

          What happens up north, stays up north

          Comment


          • radomu
            radomu commented
            Editing a comment

            55gibby wrote:
            Hey ed... find some examples of trickle down working for all parties involved

            In the fifties, when the American economy was the most prosperous. Back then rich people paid NO taxes.

             

             

             

             



        Working...
        X