Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: speaking of Jazz...

So, in part prompted by radomu's thread, I've been digging into Bill Evans lately... and what I've discovered is that a) he barely EVER moves his left hand - he parks it around middle C and makes ALL the changes by moving one or two notes a half-step and 2) He NEVER EVER plays root notes, and hardly any fifths for that matter. So I attemped to play Blue in Green with those things in mind. This is the result... I know its pretty raw and uncertain, but I'm rather proud of being able to pull it off at all

https://www.box.com/s/0jx70c19p5eziw19em93

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Red Ant wrote:

So, in part prompted by radomu's thread, I've been digging into Bill Evans lately... and what I've discovered is that a) he barely EVER moves his left hand - he parks it around middle C and makes ALL the changes by moving one or two notes a half-step and 2) He NEVER EVER plays root notes, and hardly any fifths for that matter. So I attemped to play Blue in Green with those things in mind. This is the result... I know its pretty raw and uncertain, but I'm rather proud of being able to pull it off at all

https://www.box.com/s/0jx70c19p5eziw19em93

Beautiful! Sounds like the real thing!! Isn't it awesome when you make a breakthrough reverse engineering your favorite players' approach? One of my favorite musical things.k

Attached Files

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• redEL34
      redEL34 commented
      Editing a comment

I really love that. It sounds unlike anything I could ever do, that`s for sure. You`re a Vince Guaraldi, to say the least.

@Davo - not sure, just YouTube "the in sound from way out" and they should all come up.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

• redEL34
      redEL34 commented
      Editing a comment

They dumb it down on TV, but this is really enjoyable.

Can one use an AC30 for jazz guitar amplifier?

Comment

• Red Ant
      Red Ant commented
      Editing a comment

RedRoadEnsemble wrote:

Can one use an AC30 for jazz guitar amplifier?

Why not? Just make sure the highs are tamed.

Well, it doesn't sound like the classic jazz masters, but it does sound like Bill Evans' approach. Expertly hacked! 

Comment

Lush !!!

the rhythms are funny

Comment

Working...
      X