Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it weird when gun rights people blame video games, movies, and the media for violence??

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it weird when gun rights people blame video games, movies, and the media for violence??

Originally Posted by newbie chick

My internet brilliance hinges on finding the critical balance point of pseudo-intelligence and snarky attitude.

Originally Posted by skippydmongoose

i like boobs. but after a little while, i'm ready to take the party downstairs

Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome

All my threads are 100% serious and life changing topics, I have no time for being funny.

Kowalski wrote:

No, it's stupid.

Comment

Kowalski wrote:

Yes, it is stupid.

Comment

I wonder how many of them also blamed Judas Priest and Ozzy for those suicides back in the 80's.

Comment

• RedRoadEnsemble
          RedRoadEnsemble commented
          Editing a comment

I cannot explain the NRA.

It is particularly wierd when the do so just days before releasing their own FPS.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

• Godsky
          Godsky commented
          Editing a comment

It's more stupid when the NRA president claims background checks wont help....

Kowalski wrote:

Is it weird when gun rights people blame video games, movies, and the media for violence??

They tend to do this because they are desperate and stupid.

I've never seen movie kill a person. I'm sure conservatives would agree with regards to the Benghazi video. The people matter most, next are the tools they use. I'm sure conservatives would agree with regards to Iran trying to obtain nuclear weapons.

We have to keep nuclear weapons out of the hands of the Iranians at any cost, right? Only sane countries should have nuclear weapons, right?

Same with guns in this country. 

Warren G (Obama) gonna have ta regulate.

Obama #2TERMZ

Attached Files

TWO TERMS BITCHES! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Comment

• Hoddy
          Hoddy commented
          Editing a comment

willhaven wrote:

Kowalski wrote:

They tend to do this because they are desperate and stupid.

Glad that I've never done it.

People didn't kill each other before movies, TV and video games. Not for sleeping with the neighbor's wife, not in street fights, never in burglaries or muggings, not for pure malice and entertainment, never for religious crusades, etc.
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        {www.dronecloud.org}
        {www.soniccrayonfx.com}

Comment

• kav
          kav commented
          Editing a comment

"...But research is clearly lacking on a direct causal relationship between violent video games and youth violence. Interestingly, the US has the highest homicide rate in the world.  But, as Fareed Zakaria noted in The Washington Post, the Japanese are avid video game players and have a homicide rate close to zero. He argues that the difference is the incredibly strict restrictions on firearms.  In fact, the rate of video game use of all kinds is actually decreasing in the United States, and many of the top selling games are decidedly non-violent.  (Does the NRA want to take on Super-Mario Brothers as etiologic for mass shootings?)  Furthermore, as Mr. Zakaria suggests, many comparable nations have comparable consumption of video game and violent media, but low homicide rates. The Japanese, he notes, are avid video game players, and have a homicide rate close to zero.

The fact is that analyses of school shooting incidents from the US Secret Service and the Federal Bureau of Investigation National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime do not support a link between violent games and real world attacks..."

"The assertion that violent video games and movies cause violent behavior has not been demonstrated by scientific research."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/inside-out-outside-in/201212/violent-video-games-and-movies-causing-violent-behavior

but video games AFFECT people!!

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/01/us-senator-video-games-are-a-bigger-problem-than-guns/

Gear:
        Cort m200 (with SD 59/JB combo)
        Ampeg Dan Armstrong
        Gibson Firebird Studio
        Gibson Explorer x2 (natural/white)
        Gibson LP studio
        Squier Tele Custom II
        Godin LG EMG
        Hello Kitty Strat
        Edwards LPC
        Jackson COW 6
        Jim Root Strat
        ESP Eclipse I DBSB
        Billy Corgan Strat
        50s Tribute Goldtop HB
        Squier Mini Strat
        Fender Cabronita Tele

Comment

Kowalski wrote:

Agreed. Seems like more of a Gore thing.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• yanktar
            yanktar commented
            Editing a comment

I don't get it:

If the NRA has long said "Guns don't kill, people do" doesn't that imply that it's each individual's personal responsibility?

And if it is, how can the NRA hit the cop-out of blaming vid game manufacturers? Long before video games, kids played "Cops and Robbers", "Cowboys and Indians", "War", "Pirates", etc.  Even a snowball fight is a form of controlled violence, as is boxing and football.  So is fencing and unarmed martial arts. Maybe the NRA should blame them.  Hell, Chess is a stylized form of war and violence.

Working...
        X