No announcement yet.

Professor bans citing Fox News, claiming it makes her cringe

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor bans citing Fox News, claiming it makes her cringe

http://news.yahoo.com/professor-bans-citing-fox-news-claiming-makes-her-105829523.html

Back in the day, teachers often scoffed at using encyclopedias as serious academic references. These days, it

Not a big fan of fox news. I think I would have worded it differently. "If you're going to put anything from fox news, you HAVE to put a differing opinion from another news source as well and prove you investigated the news presented." Actually teach them as to why fox is not good instead of saying some bs line: because fox makes me cringe.  Then you can tell the class that watching fox lowers your IQ and you know the students are all too smart to let that happen.

Comment

• cdawg
      cdawg commented
      Editing a comment
      all news is biased. surprise.

Actually, I think this professor is doing it all wrong. She should have her students watch Fox and then critique it, check their sources, their accuracy, their spin, etc. Just telling students not to watch something seems slightly dishonest or something. 

Comment

• thankyou
      thankyou commented
      Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

Actually, I think this professor is doing it all wrong. She should have her students watch Fox and then critique it, check their sources, their accuracy, their spin, etc. Just telling students not to watch something seems slightly dishonest or something. 

Agreed.  Good writers show instead of tell.  Good teachers show how to think, not what to think.

• rushtallica
      rushtallica commented
      Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

That's a good idea; and allow for students to do the same with other news networks, as well.

• Just Me
      Just Me commented
      Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

She didn't say don't watch it, she said it can't be cited as a source. Its a pretty common requirement in writing assignments to cite credible sources only.

I think the professor is right. Faux won a lawsuit that said that they could lie when presenting their news.

Comment

• Inspector 71
      Inspector 71 commented
      Editing a comment

A librul teacher with control issues is very common

Working...
X