Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-overclocking a cheap laptop?

I only need this laptop for a few more months, but I wanna make it a bit faster.  Can I up it to maybe 2.5 ghz or something?  If so how?

Id like to do it using a software program if possible, you cant access its bios apparently.

I realize its not the best for reliability.  But Im hoping a modest bump will be helpful.

The model in question:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=2346352& rpn=PSLD8U&modelFilter=L355-S7915&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

That doesn't look very upgradeable. Add ram if it's not maxed out already.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

Comment

• Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

erok123 wrote:
      That doesn't look very upgradeable. Add ram if it's not maxed out already.

Its got 3 gigs, I might add another gig to its max at 4,  but only plan to keep it for a bit longer.

Are you aware of any software programs that overclock?

CPUZ and GPUZ to gain information about your computer and then either:

AMD Overdrive  or Intel Desktop Control Center.

You may also want to look at Memset and CPU-Tweaker.

Having given you some tools, allow me to give you a little advice.  Don't overclock a laptop - the thermal envelope is too tight.  The most you should overclock on a laptop is the memory.

Comment

• Grumpy_Polecat
      Grumpy_Polecat commented
      Editing a comment

normh wrote:

CPUZ and GPUZ to gain information about your computer and then either:

AMD Overdrive  or Intel Desktop Control Center.

You may also want to look at Memset and CPU-Tweaker.

Having given you some tools, allow me to give you a little advice.  Don't overclock a laptop - the thermal envelope is too tight.  The most you should overclock on a laptop is the memory.

I concur.

Davo17 wrote:

I only need this laptop for a few more months, but I wanna make it a bit faster.  Can I up it to maybe 2.5 ghz or something?  If so how?

Do it - you'll blow the ****************er sky high.

Seriously, if you have to ask the question, you're not the right person to do the job.  Also, a rise from 2.2 Ghz to 2.5 with the same memory, motherboard, GPU and HD is going to be hardly detectable (if even possible), and the extra heat generated and power consumed will probably kill something quickly.

Depending on how much RAM you have, an upgrade might help.  Also, if memory serves me correctly the CPU is socket P, and there should be dual core P4 chips that'll fit.  You won't be able to change the CPU yourself, as it takes a little experience and intelligence that you don't possess, but you might be able to throw some more RAM into it.

Edit:

As you're probably using 32 bit Vista, don't bother with putting more than 3 Gb into it.  It won't make a difference.

As suggested by others, an SSD would improve things, but as I'm guessing you're short of cash I'd suggest blitzing Vista (which is not a particularly speedy OS) and putting something like Ubuntu Linux on it.  If you're only using the machine for WP, email and pretending to be a doctor on the Interwebz, that'll suit you fine, and run a lot quicker than Vista.

Question: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?

Answer: because it was dead.

Comment

• Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

Davo17 wrote:

Seriously, if you have to ask the question, you're not the right person to do the job.  Also, a rise from 2.2 Ghz to 2.5 with the same memory, motherboard, GPU and HD is going to be hardly detectable (if even possible), and the extra heat generated and power consumed will probably kill something quickly.

Depending on how much RAM you have, an upgrade might help.  Also, if memory serves me correctly the CPU is socket P, and there should be dual core P4 chips that'll fit.  You won't be able to change the CPU yourself, as it takes a little experience and intelligence that you don't possess, but you might be able to throw some more RAM into it.

Edit:

As you're probably using 32 bit Vista, don't bother with putting more than 3 Gb into it.  It won't make a difference.

As suggested by others, an SSD would improve things, but as I'm guessing you're short of cash I'd suggest blitzing Vista (which is not a particularly speedy OS) and putting something like Ubuntu Linux on it.  If you're only using the machine for WP, email and pretending to be a doctor on the Interwebz, that'll suit you fine, and run a lot quicker than Vista.

Not short on cash, just saving up some cash for a nice new laptop.  I will alse be purchasing a new flatscreen and speakers soon.   I have my tech research cut out for me.

This laptop will become a backup.  In the meantime Im doing a fair amount of work on it.

• normh
      normh commented
      Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

You won't be able to change the CPU yourself, as it takes a little experience and intelligence that you don't possess...

Most laptops have the CPU soldered and not in sockets.  Space and thermal issues.

• Booker
      Booker commented
      Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

Davo17 wrote:

Edit:

So much this.

davo sound computer retarded. These kind of people should not be trying to overclock.

Davo17 wrote:

Id like to do it using a software program if possible, you cant access its bios apparently.

I realize its not the best for reliability.  But Im hoping a modest bump will be helpful.

The model in question:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=2346352& rpn=PSLD8U&modelFilter=L355-S7915&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663

You should do this right away. I would start at 3.5 ghz and bump it up from there. No reason it shouldn't 4.0 .ghz. This is free so I would try this first before a SSD primary drive. You can easily do this yourself. Go for it!

Comment

Comment

Two rather nice features of that particular tosh are the fact that the power socket is soldered to the motherboard with flying leads (so it doesn't crack the board after a few years of use), and there is a physical volume control.

Comment

• Davo17
          Davo17 commented
          Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

Two rather nice features of that particular tosh are the fact that the power socket is soldered to the motherboard with flying leads (so it doesn't crack the board after a few years of use), and there is a physical volume control.

The physical volume control is cool, but I dont like the taper.  Still beats clicking in the lower right of my screen though.

Davo,

If you want your computer to be just a little bit faster with the minimum of pain, find somebody who is good - really good - with computers, and simply get them to tidy it up for you by removing unnecessary running software and generally configuring it properly.

I don't know if your friend is any good (or, given that you're a compulsive liar, whether he even exists), but a really good computer tech can work wonders with older machines, or even new machines that've been overloaded with non-essential crap.. 

Comment

• Davo17
          Davo17 commented
          Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

Davo,

If you want your computer to be just a little bit faster with the minimum of pain, find somebody who is good - really good - with computers, and simply get them to tidy it up for you by removing unnecessary running software and generally configuring it properly.

I don't know if your friend is any good (or, given that you're a compulsive liar, whether he even exists), but a really good computer tech can work wonders with older machines, or even new machines that've been overloaded with non-essential crap.. 

I will mention that to him, he had me turn off system administrator or something and it helped a bit.  Also I hate IE and get better performance out of Chrome.

Tim seems extra bitchy.

Comment

• Gromit
          Gromit commented
          Editing a comment

prolurkerguy wrote:
          Tim seems extra bitchy.

'Tis all good fun.

Davo and I are lesbian lovers in real life.  The extreme hostility and bitchiness is just our way of throwing everyone off the scent.

You should over clock a treadmill and give that a whirl
        "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

Davo17 wrote:

The model in question:

Do it, idiot.

I hope it blows up in your lap.

Never argue with an idiot, they will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Working...
          X