Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh my, Apple computers compromised ... Again.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh my, Apple computers compromised ... Again.

(Reuters) - Apple Inc was recently attacked by hackers who infected Macintosh computers of some employees, the company said Tuesday in an unprecedented disclosure describing the widest known cyber attacks targeting Apple computers used by corporations.

Unknown hackers infected the computers of some Apple workers when they visited a website for software developers that had been infected with malicious software. The malware had been designed to attack Mac computers.

The same software, which infected Macs by exploiting a flaw in a version of Oracle Corp's Java software used as a plug-in on Web browsers, was used to launch attacks against Facebook, which the social network disclosed on Friday.

The malware was also employed in attacks against Mac computers used by "other companies," Apple said, without elaborating on the scale of the assault.
    Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/19/us-apple-hackers-idUSBRE91I10920130219

I know that the Apple users feel so smug about being immune to virus, trojans and other malware.  However, the article above shows this to be a false belief.

The myth of immunity has always been a dangerous delusion that Mac owners have had. 

###### Why can't I post anything here anymore??? ######

Comment

• Zeopold
      Zeopold commented
      Editing a comment

I was one of 600,000 affected by the Flashback Trojan. Macs aren't immune

normh wrote:

(Reuters) - Apple Inc was recently attacked by hackers who infected Macintosh computers of some employees, the company said Tuesday in an unprecedented disclosure describing the widest known cyber attacks targeting Apple computers used by corporations.

Unknown hackers infected the computers of some Apple workers when they visited a website for software developers that had been infected with malicious software. The malware had been designed to attack Mac computers.

The same software, which infected Macs by exploiting a flaw in a version of Oracle Corp's Java software used as a plug-in on Web browsers, was used to launch attacks against Facebook, which the social network disclosed on Friday.

The malware was also employed in attacks against Mac computers used by "other companies," Apple said, without elaborating on the scale of the assault.
    Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/19/us-apple-hackers-idUSBRE91I10920130219

I know that the Apple users feel so smug about being immune to virus, trojans and other malware.  However, the article above shows this to be a false belief.

I dont know about feeling smug, but for the last 12 years I've made my living using, managing and administering apple computers and of the hundred or so mac I have in service now, and the hundreds of machines I've had in the past. none of them has ever had a virus, or been corrupted by malware. it's not a matter of feeling smug. it a matter of feeling secure in the knowing that with minimal effort, macs run and run and run and run. 

I'm posting on a macbook pro from 2008,  and i'll probably use it for another year or two, worry free. 

Comment

• normh
      normh commented
      Editing a comment

moogerfooger wrote:

I dont know about feeling smug, but for the last 12 years I've made my living using, managing and administering apple computers and of the hundred or so mac I have in service now, and the hundreds of machines I've had in the past. none of them has ever had a virus, or been corrupted by malware. it's not a matter of feeling smug. it a matter of feeling secure in the knowing that with minimal effort, macs run and run and run and run. 

I'm posting on a macbook pro from 2008,  and i'll probably use it for another year or two, worry free. 

While I can appreciate your position, I will also disagree.  If you were concerned with security, your users would be using BSD.

OSX is a variant of Mach 3 Unix.  It was one of the more insecure versions of Unix.

One of the jobs of a system administrator is paranoia.  Through that paranoia they will hopefully provide greater security to the system they oversee.

"My PC got a virus."

"When did you last update your security software?"

"Three days ago."

"Oh, so it's your fault you got a virus."

Comment

Face it.  Bill Gates became a billionare off a faulty product named Windows.

Comment

• Disemboweler
        Disemboweler commented
        Editing a comment

Joe Bleek wrote:

His product works just fine if you're not a total dumbass.

• normh
        normh commented
        Editing a comment

Joe Bleek wrote:

I disagree.  Bill Gates bought a program that was leased to IBM.  IBM later contracted with MS to write OS/2.  OS/2 became the basis of Windows.  Windows is and has been the most popular OS to date.  Being the most popular OS, it has the most people looking for and exploiting vulnerabilities.  Linux has about 2.5 percent of the market share and OSX has about 5 percent of the market share.  Those numbers are based off of browser records and not the hype of the individual OS.  If I were to write a virus or trojan, I would write it for the OS and the borwsers that were most commonly used so that I could infect the most machines.

BSD has about 0.05 percent of the market share.  It has exactly one known vulnerability.  That vulnerability was present in OSX and all *nix.  It was a Bind vulnerability.

Windows is fine.  You should never put an unhardend system on the internet.  The problem with Windows is that out of the box, it is not hardend.  If Windows were hardend out of the box, many programs in daily use would not work.

I've always known that any computer can be attacked. But there are a huge number of Windows virus's and very few Mac virus's. At the current rate, they might even out in 20+ years. Just a note, Avast makes anti-virus software for Macs and PCs that is free for home use. (And reasonable for businesses.) Macs aren't perfect, but in my personal experience, Macs have about the same amount of hardware failures and about half as many software failures. I haven't had any serious issues with my one Windows 7 machine. (Yet, it's one year old now.) And I've had only the rarest of issues with my 2.5 year old MacBook Pro. (Better than my XP machine.)

Comment

Working...
      X