Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monsanto vs. The Farmer

http://news.yahoo.com/high-stakes-fight-over-soybeans-high-court-140546296--finance.html

The problem here is that once cross germination takes place over a period of time, virtually ALL crops will contain Monsanto-engineered characteristics. This will mean that ANYONE planting a crop will have to pay royalties to Monsanto. As a business model, it's brilliant. Morally and ethically, it's corrupt. Economically and socially, it's a disaster in the making.

Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Monsanto should face criminal charges for genome pollution.
    Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

GTRMAN wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/high-stakes-fight-over-soybeans-high-court-140546296--finance.html

The problem here is that once cross germination takes place over a period of time, virtually ALL crops will contain Monsanto-engineered characteristics. This will mean that ANYONE planting a crop will have to pay royalties to Monsanto. As a business model, it's brilliant. Morally and ethically, it's corrupt. Economically and socially, it's a disaster in the making.

Capitalism at its best. Such outrage at a company protecting its product.

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
      ―J.S.B. Morse

Comment

• GTRMAN
        GTRMAN commented
        Editing a comment

Its acually capitalism at its worst. It's about monopolizing the seed industry. If their interest was really in protecting their patents, then they would be producing plants which cannot produce viable seeds which will germinate.

quickie1 wrote:

GTRMAN wrote:

• Disemboweler
        Disemboweler commented
        Editing a comment

quickie1 wrote:

GTRMAN wrote:

Your understanding of everything is terrible. 

If someone cross pollinates into my crops, they are destroying my property. Say I'm an organic farmer, and my customers are those who do no wish to have GMO foods. If cross pollination destroys the only reason my customers buy from me, not only are the genetically dominant strains further reducing the genetic base, they are destroying my property.

No question patent law needs reform.  Another egregious example is laboratories' practice of patenting human genes.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding

Comment

Working...
      X