Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-Rate this P bass?

What do you think of this bass?  Its my beater, nicknamed "Mo", for its greasy ass old strings, which get a motown sound.  Mo is about to get a pup upgrade, and Im adding the bling not so much for looks (though it looks cool) but beacuse I like some of the tones i can get (jamerson "hooking", foam mute above strings) this way.

One additional question, I want to mount a thumbrest somewhere back between the chrome bits, is that a good location?  Any benefits to placing it elsewhere?mo

Attached Files

Sounds great. 

Comment

No idea but the bass looks great already.

Comment

A thumb rest is sure fire way to ruin your bass. I know from experience

The least destructive way to do it on a P is to mount it on the top edge of the pickguard using the existing screw in the middle and adding another thru the pickguard. That way if you remove it you just have one non-original screw

"I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man" - Clapton

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
          Editing a comment

does not really look like a Precision to me... I mean 40 years ago I have seen this bass model for hundreds of gig around the shoulder on the guy on the left of me, and btw, never liked his sound, my left and right foot often refused to sync to his sloppy sound

• Davo17
          Davo17 commented
          Editing a comment

Zeopold wrote:

A thumb rest is sure fire way to ruin your bass. I know from experience

The least destructive way to do it on a P is to mount it on the top edge of the pickguard using the existing screw in the middle and adding another thru the pickguard. That way if you remove it you just have one non-original screw

Well its a beater bass, but even looking at the guard, I dont see a good place to put the rest as you suggest.

I dont think I will use the stock locale (allowing thumb picking), but I was thinking of putting it between the chrome covers, directly into the body (not through the guard).

send me a PM w/ an address and i will ship on my dime a set of DR flatwounds that i got for Christmas 2 years ago. never been opened.
        how fortunate for governments, that the people do not think!In the past quarter century, we exposed biases against other races and called it racism, and we exposed biases against women and called it sexism. Biases against men we call humor.—Warren FarrellCanada: What Britain would become if it got fat and had its' nuts cut off.Obummer says I can has freeberty!

Comment

• Invisible Hand
          Invisible Hand commented
          Editing a comment

I'll second the advice about the thumb-rest.  Put it where Fender does, in the pickguard.  You'll have to remove the chrome.

• Davo17
          Davo17 commented
          Editing a comment

360vodka wrote:
          send me a PM w/ an address and i will ship on my dime a set of DR flatwounds that i got for Christmas 2 years ago. never been opened.

Thats downright generous!  Ive been wanting to get some flats, its part of the motown sound.  PM inbound.

Working...
      X