Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Pretending to like jazz

Yeah, I just realized that the only "jazz" that I listen to and enjoy is Jeff Beck, Return to Forever, and Wes Montgomery.

Turns out I like jazz as much as like metal: I enjoy listening to some songs of a couple of artists.

Therefore, let us all stop pretend we actually listen to this stuff.

Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky

Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

I like a lot of jazz, especially from the 50's.
    Hail Homer! Blessed is he among men and blessed is the fruit of his loins Bart.

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
      Editing a comment

When you do not understand, or feel a Jazz tune, then omit the sevenths, and play triads, but only minor and major triads. Diminished triads and augmented triads are unhealthy for musically limited minds, and chords by seconds are a total no no for pop Heinies.

The catalogue of my record company has no such Jazz! Sorry radomu, even thus one album won #1 Gold Album of the Year 2010 in Japan.

• A. Einstein
      A. Einstein commented
      Editing a comment
      "One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz"

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
      Editing a comment

"200 Pounds Beauty"  (a Jazz tune)

Han-na is an overweight phone sex employee and a ghost singer for Amy, a famous pop singer who actually lip syncs. Instead of being famous for her own amazing vocal talent, Han-na hides behind Amy's performance stage and sings during Amy's concerts, and records all of Amy's songs.

Han-na attempts suicide but is interrupted by a phone call from one of her phone sex regulars who happens to be a top plastic surgeon.

When she comes back from the hospital, Han-na is incredibly beautiful and slender.

The truth is that I would much more prefer to listen to Lily Allen than Charlie Parker (-.-)

Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky

Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

Comment

• bluzboy
      bluzboy commented
      Editing a comment

radomu wrote:

The truth is that I would much more prefer to listen to Lily Allen than Charlie Parker (-.-)

That says a lot more about you than it does about Bird's music.

He was a genius; you're obviously an idiot.

Comment

radomu wrote:

Yeah, I just realized that the only "jazz" that I listen to and enjoy is Jeff Beck, Return to Forever, and Wes Montgomery.

Turns out I like jazz as much as like metal: I enjoy listening to some songs of a couple of artists.

I like pretty much all forms of music except for rap and hip-hop. There is a lot of jazz I like but even more that I don't like. Return to Forever is a favorite of mine. I have some Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck that I like. Heck, I like classical, country, hillbilly, various forms of rock and pop, modern Christian worship music, you name it. I even like some music featuring a sitar.

I can only assume that most of the people here like some aspects of most genres, being musicians and all. We "hear" more of the nuanced stuff going on. In fact, I listened to "Single Lady" without watching the video and that song seems to be a genre unto itself and I love it, though I am otherwise not a fan of her music.

Comment

• RogueGnome
        RogueGnome commented
        Editing a comment

I enjoy listening to jazz. It is pop music which I just cannot abide these days.

I don't care if I never hear another 18-24 year old female vocalist. I hate that ****************. 

But then... I am old.

• Zeopold
        Zeopold commented
        Editing a comment

Easy Listener wrote: I like pretty much all forms of music except for rap and hip-hop. 

radomu wrote:

Translation:  Your transcendental honesty makes  you even more hip than the people pretending to be hip.

Priceless.

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
        Editing a comment

There are two kind of music listeners:

1. The poeple who have a natural understand for all music, and simply say to the composer and musicians: "Thank you, I enjoyed it very much"

2. The snobs.

I grew up with and love jazz, and I'm lucky enough to live just outside NYC, the jazz capitol of the world.  I got a jazz education by pretty much living on 7th Ave South in the Village on the weekends, listening up close to jazz Greats like Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Sam Rivers, World Saxophone Quartet, Ornette Coleman, Tommy Flanagan, Keith Jarrett, Max Roach, Jack DeJohnette, Sheila Jordan, Carla Bley, Don Pullen, and 100s more.  And they were all gracious enough to spend some time with me when I asked them questions (except Keith, who bummed me out the last time I saw him with a between set rant about how much bad music there was in the world.)  It was an education you cannot get in a university.  I think the thing about jazz that rubs a lot of people the wrong way is that there is a lot more tension than resolution, like altered dominant 7and 9 chords resolving to more altered dominant 7 and 9 chords all the way through the circle of fifths.  People need to feel where "home" is (I chord), and need to go back there constantly. 

Comment

• Telecruiser
        Telecruiser commented
        Editing a comment

• Zig al-din
        Zig al-din commented
        Editing a comment

Joe Bleek wrote:

I grew up with and love jazz, and I'm lucky enough to live just outside NYC, the jazz capitol of the world.  I got a jazz education by pretty much living on 7th Ave South in the Village on the weekends, listening up close to jazz Greats like Sun Ra, Cecil Taylor, Sam Rivers, World Saxophone Quartet, Ornette Coleman, Tommy Flanagan, Keith Jarrett, Max Roach, Jack DeJohnette, Sheila Jordan, Carla Bley, Don Pullen, and 100s more.  And they were all gracious enough to spend some time with me when I asked them questions (except Keith, who bummed me out the last time I saw him with a between set rant about how much bad music there was in the world.)  It was an education you cannot get in a university.  I think the thing about jazz that rubs a lot of people the wrong way is that there is a lot more tension than resolution, like altered dominant 7and 9 chords resolving to more altered dominant 7 and 9 chords all the way through the circle of fifths.  People need to feel where "home" is (I chord), and need to go back there constantly. 

I have a friend who's a very talented musician (in terms of natural gifts) but who has zero technical understanding of music. He HATES jazz. (He hates all music that sounds like it came from blues or anything related to that tradition). Anyway, his way of putting it is that jazz chords sound "wrong" or "cheesy." Or both. Flat 5 chords sound wrong. Major 7 chords sound cheesy and 13 chords are both at once. So, seeing how jazz is chock full of either "wrongness" or "cheesiness," he can't stand it. He also has a strong natural aversion to any form of music where technical prowess is evident.

I only mention this because it is a window into the mind of someone who hates jazz. I love jazz, especially from the 40's and 50's. Thelonious Monk, Duke Ellington and Wayne Shorter are some of my favorite composers. I could make a list of a hundred musicians in the idiom whom I admire and love -- but to him, it's all just wrong and cheesy. I dunno.   

radomu wrote:

let's you and him fight.

Is This Thing On?

https://soundcloud.com/tom-hicks888

Comment

• Tom Hicks
        Tom Hicks commented
        Editing a comment

oh, and django

One of the best albums ever made,

Besides being a guitar player,
      I'm a big fan of the guitar.
      I love that damn instrument.
      -Steve Vai

Comment

radomu wrote:

Return To Whatever is borderline circus music. Overrated.

Comment

• Hoddy
          Hoddy commented
          Editing a comment

Sloppy Santa wrote:

radomu wrote:

Return To Whatever is borderline circus music. Overrated.

That pretty much sums up just about all jazz.

The Return to Forever assessment is correct. lol

Comment

• Hoddy
          Hoddy commented
          Editing a comment

I like how jazz heads get all huffy if someone doesn't like their music." id="man" src="https://guitarcenter.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_man-.png" alt=":man:" title="Man Very Happy" />

• note4note
          note4note commented
          Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

The Return to Forever assessment is correct. lol

Perhaps.  I thought their first album had some good moments on it.

This, with Corea, Clarke, and John McLaughlin, takes me away.

You can stop pretending.

Meanwhile, I'm woodshedding to do Anthropology and a few other great tunes on guitar next month. I've played drums in bebop settings before, but this will be my first foray into performing that stuff on guitar. I'm both elated and scared.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

• Joe Bleek
          Joe Bleek commented
          Editing a comment

coyote-1 wrote:

Meanwhile, I'm woodshedding to do Anthropology and a few other great tunes on guitar next month. I've played drums in bebop settings before, but this will be my first foray into performing that stuff on guitar. I'm both elated and scared.

Anthropology on guitar?  I'm both elated and scared for you.

How about Craig Chaquico, formerly with Jefferson Starship, and his new age acoustic jazz.

Comment

• Red Ant
          Red Ant commented
          Editing a comment

normh wrote:

How about Craig Chaquico, formerly with Jefferson Starship, and his new age acoustic jazz.

That is horrific!!!

My gF pretends to like Jizz..all over her face.

Not a speck of cereal

Comment

radomu wrote:

A bit of an egotistical viewpoint you got there.  Ok, YOU only like a couple of Jazz artists.  That's entirely YOUR business.  Don't be trying to redefine everyone else's listening preferences though.

Question: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?

Answer: because it was dead.

Comment

Working...
          X