No announcement yet.

Why does religion work?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does religion work?

Because it uses humiliation, shame, and fear to manipulate followers. Period.

Unfortunately, fear is the opposite of love. 

Comments?

you left out peer pressure, political / public subterfuge, and supression of truth.

Comment

• Fred Fartboski
      Fred Fartboski commented
      Editing a comment

Guilt.

• VanHalen
      VanHalen commented
      Editing a comment

Hoppy Shimko wrote:

you left out peer pressure, political / public subterfuge, and supression of truth.

I'm guessing that the driving force of all of those things is fear, not love.

It's rare that any religions use love. The main inspiration of religious people is usually always fear. Think about it... threats of hell, hatred of gays, warnings that God will punish... these are all based in fear not love.

Indoctrination and fear of the unknown.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding

Comment

Some people don't want to believe they have to take control of their own lives... it's too much work.

Other people want to find any means to exert control over others, to make themselves feel better about who they are.

Religion is an easy answer for those people.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
      — Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Godsky
        Godsky commented
        Editing a comment

Fear of death/afterlife, a false sense of morals?

I wasn't aware that it did work...

Comment

• VanHalen
        VanHalen commented
        Editing a comment

Zeopold wrote:

It works for the preacher when his flock is in his church cowering to his manipulation and control.

• Todzilla
        Todzilla commented
        Editing a comment

What does the OP mean by "work?"

• thankyou
        thankyou commented
        Editing a comment

Zeopold wrote:

Worked just fine for Joseph Smith until things got dicey in Illinois, some time after he found his liking for tween aged girls was right in line with God's plans for polygamy.  His first wife was not seeing it that way.

It's working just fine for Pat Robertson and Creflo Dollar.

Religion is a machine that uses idiots for fuel.

Stumblin' thru da ghost town.....

Comment

• thankyou
        thankyou commented
        Editing a comment

DesertDirtDog wrote:

Religion is a machine that uses idiots for fuel.

That is awesome, but it sounds like a death threat.  Not to worry, nobody gets banned anymore.

Man does not live on bread alone and there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in (your) philosophy. 

That said, it's also the opiate of the masses. 

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
        Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

Man does not live on bread alone and there are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in (your) philosophy. 

That said, it's also the opiate of the masses. 

heaven is not a pissoir

when you use your dick only for pissing

then you will be sent to hell

Jesus is coming back soon, and he is going to throw the sinners in the Lake Of Fire to be tormented and tortured for eternity in burning brimstone.

P.S. - Jesus loves you!

Comment

• The Badger
        The Badger commented
        Editing a comment

VanHalen wrote:

Jesus is coming back soon, and he is going to throw the sinners in the Lake Of Fire to be tormented and tortured for eternity in burning brimstone.

P.S. - Jesus loves you!

Having read Dante Alligheri's guidebook to Hell, I am convinced that when Judgement Day comes, there will be an awful lot of very surprised "Christians" there. Assuming they know where they've gone, becauase they will be surrounded by so many other "Christians."

Working...
    X