Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So yesterday I listened to "Left Politics" on Sirius....

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So yesterday I listened to "Left Politics" on Sirius....

- Population growth is a greater threat than climate change, and can be controlled through the education and establishment of civil rights for women. (Even here in the U.S.). Religion is the greatest barrier to this endeavor.

While I agree in principle, I'm not sure how the host proposes to eliminate religion in places where people don't even have the freedom to declare themselves atheists.

- All rich people and corporations are evil and are a larger problem than people who choose to live off social programs/assistance.

Hmmm...not sure what the host was proposing. People get rich by producing more than they consume, and by spending less than they earn. Are we saying people should spend exactly what they earn and only produce the bare minimum?

Corporations are formed to acquire assets for production not possible for an individual to acquire. The benefits are delusion of risk...so this attracts investors.  Are we suggesting GM, Ford, GE, Boeing could exist as a Ma & Pa?

- Unemployment would cease to exist if we went to a 30 hour work week.

Umm..yeah...that's it. Works great in Europe.

- Economic growth is bad and is like sawing off the limb you're sitting on.

Host proposes economies should be stagnant and any growth should be returned to the people or something like that.

Anyhooo, I thought it was interesting and I also heard all the standard talking points I hear here. Back to the Ozzy's Boneyard for today though.

nedezero1 wrote:

- Population growth is a greater threat than climate change, and can be controlled through the education and establishment of civil rights for women. (Even here in the U.S.). Religion is the greatest barrier to this endeavor.

While I agree in principle, I'm not sure how the host proposes to eliminate religion in places where people don't even have the freedom to declare themselves atheists.

- All rich people and corporations are evil and are a larger problem than people who choose to live off social programs/assistance.

Hmmm...not sure what the host was proposing. People get rich by producing more than they consume, and by spending less than they earn. Are we saying people should spend exactly what they earn and only produce the bare minimum?

Corporations are formed to acquire assets for production not possible for an individual to acquire. The benefits are delusion of risk...so this attracts investors.  Are we suggesting GM, Ford, GE, Boeing could exist as a Ma & Pa?

Host proposes economies should be stagnant and any growth should be returned to the people or something like that.

Anyhooo, I thought it was interesting and I also heard all the standard talking points I hear here. Back to the Ozzy's Boneyard for today though.

Making it up as you go, ned? No link, so I call bull**************** which is not uncommon coming from you.

Comment

• nedezero1
      nedezero1 commented
      Editing a comment

RedRoadEnsemble wrote:

nedezero1 wrote:

Making it up as you go, ned? No link, so I call bull**************** which is not uncommon coming from you.

It was a radio show moron.

• Just Me
      Just Me commented
      Editing a comment

RedRoadEnsemble wrote:

nedezero1 wrote:

yeah, you dont even have to call bull**************** on ned,it's asumed. 

Sure Neddy, we believe you.

nedezero1 wrote:

Libs are mindless robots, this is where they get their ideas.

Comment

• slodge
      slodge commented
      Editing a comment

Davo17 wrote:

nedezero1 wrote:

Libs are mindless robots, this is where they get their ideas.

Davos' posts are like MadLibs where the only words you can put in the blanks are "liberals," "children," or "robots."

nedezero1 wrote:

You make some interesting points,some of which I agree with and some of which I don't.

Obviously I didn't hear the broadcast, so am only going by what you say here.

The first statement in italics doesn't appear to me to be advocating the elimination of religion, merely pointing out that many religions aren't exactly great when it comes to civil rights for women. Eliminating that attitude is what I assume is being advocated, rather than eliminating religion.  If I'm mistaken in that, and your perception of it is correct, then it's not going to happen.

The second set of italics seems to me to be a total sweeping statement.  Is that an exact quote?  If so, it should be treated as rubbish IMO.  Many rich people and many corporations do behave in a way that could be called evil, but not all of them.  Maybe most, but not all.  However, I disagree with you as to how people get rich and why corporations are formed.

People get rich in many, many ways.  The thrift and industry model you present is only one of those ways, and it's dubious to say the least to suggest that anyone produces more than they consume.  In fact, it's a physical impossibility.

Corporations in a capitalist society are also formed for many reasons, but it all comes down to one thing - the acquisition and control of capital.  You got that one half right.   Corporations are formed to acquire assets, but not for production - for survival and growth of the corporation.

I totally agree with you on the third statement.

Only three things are important: Love, peace and pale ale.

Comment

• nedezero1
      nedezero1 commented
      Editing a comment

Gromit wrote:

nedezero1 wrote:

You make some interesting points,some of which I agree with and some of which I don't.

Obviously I didn't hear the broadcast, so am only going by what you say here.

The first statement in italics doesn't appear to me to be advocating the elimination of religion, merely pointing out that many religions aren't exactly great when it comes to civil rights for women. Eliminating that attitude is what I assume is being advocated, rather than eliminating religion.  If I'm mistaken in that, and your perception of it is correct, then it's not going to happen.

The second set of italics seems to me to be a total sweeping statement.  Is that an exact quote?  If so, it should be treated as rubbish IMO.  Many rich people and many corporations do behave in a way that could be called evil, but not all of them.  Maybe most, but not all.  However, I disagree with you as to how people get rich and why corporations are formed.

People get rich in many, many ways.  The thrift and industry model you present is only one of those ways, and it's dubious to say the least to suggest that anyone produces more than they consume.  In fact, it's a physical impossibility.

Corporations in a capitalist society are also formed for many reasons, but it all comes down to one thing - the acquisition and control of capital.  You got that one half right.   Corporations are formed to acquire assets, but not for production - for survival and growth of the corporation.

I totally agree with you on the third statement.

Thanks for being another one of the few adults repsonding.

Tom doesn't formulate his own opinions: he prefers to copy and paste from others.

Comment

Working...
    X