Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responsibility to the Poor

The only thing I ask, is you watch the video before you comment.  

I will give my opinion later in the thread.

Lord Elpus wrote:
    Can't be ****************ed watching it, but I'll bet the words "free" and "freedom" get mentioned a lot.

You are so close minded that you wont watch the video, and yet post anyway.

Please see your way out of this thread.

Comment

• Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

Lord Elpus wrote:
      Here's a clue Dumbo17.

The ****************ing video doesn't open for me.

We're not all in moms basement on a computer, dumbass.

So why post anyway and appear an ass?

• yanktar
      yanktar commented
      Editing a comment

I was studying Milton Friedman's economics work in grad school while you were still ****************ting in your diapers.

He was cool in his presentation, but was STILL wrong in so many ways I'm not even going to waste my time getting into it (just for grins, his Hong Kong paradigm was full of false assumptions that didn't translate to the United States).  Yet you baggers STILL don't even get what MF was all about, just like libertarianism is Ayn Rand For Dummies.

Oh, but you're a wannabe-doctor and doctors know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING (just ask them), especially what they don't know jack-**************** about!

Black people are poor because it's the government's fault at poor public education. Is Friedman actually suggesting that urban African Americans would be better off with out a public education? Apparantly he is, because he also suggests abolishing the minimium wage to help African Americans get more jobs. Which , of course is another falsehood anyhow.

If McDonald's is operating a store with 30 people making $8 an hour, they aren't going to hire 60 people to work at $4 an hour. As an economist, that should be quite clear to Friedman, but then again, Friedman never operated a business in his entire life, he just sat around specualting in universities.

"The jerk store called and they're running out of you"- George Costanza

Comment

• Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

PFB wrote:

Black people are poor because it's the government's fault at poor public education. Is Friedman actually suggesting that urban African Americans would be better off with out a public education? Apparantly he is, because he also suggests abolishing the minimium wage to help African Americans get more jobs. Which , of course is another falsehood anyhow.

If McDonald's is operating a store with 30 people making $8 an hour, they aren't going to hire 60 people to work at $4 an hour. As an economist, that should be quite clear to Friedman, but then again, Friedman never operated a business in his entire life, he just sat around specualting in universities.

THANK YOU FOR WATCHING!  You are the first.

An argument could be made that private schools do a better job, and there is a CLEAR dichotomy between inner city public schools and those in the burbs.  Of course things like voucher programs were less prevalent in the 70's, but the fact remained that inner city schools suck, and hurt minority children most of all.

On the minimum wage, I dont think Friedman was implying a direct 1 to 1 inverse relationship between wages and jobs, but rather that lowering wages allows some who wouldnt otherwise have a job to get one.  

Illegal immigrants are clearly for this as thats what they are doing-a job for less thereby being hired (and making money) when they otherwise might not.

Put down the bottle jack wagon
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

Like many righties Davo thinks that the poor consist of mostly lazy people that are gaming the system. Sure there are people who do exactly that but dumb ****************s like Davo think that we should throw the baby out with the bath water because he thinks that they are living too large.
      "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

• coyote-1
        coyote-1 commented
        Editing a comment

LithiumZero wrote:
        Like many righties Davo BELIEVES that the poor consist of mostly lazy people that are gaming the system. Sure there are people who do exactly that but dumb ****************s like Davo BELIEVE that we should throw the baby out with the bath water because he thinks that they are living too large.

Fixed. Claiming that "Davo thinks" is specious at best. lol These rightwingbots don't think, they just believe stuff.

• Davo17
        Davo17 commented
        Editing a comment

LithiumZero wrote:
        Like many righties Davo thinks that the poor consist of mostly lazy people that are gaming the system. Sure there are people who do exactly that but dumb ****************s like Davo think that we should throw the baby out with the bath water because he thinks that they are living too large.

Not at all, Im poor.  I was raised quite poor as my parents divorced when I was younger.

Its interesting to me that you think Im stereotyping, and  yet will in the same breath say the rich are crooks.   I dont think anyone likes the system as it is now.

Lol at fat ass Davo calling other people fat. Hit the gym son

Comment

• Just Me
        Just Me commented
        Editing a comment

LithiumZero wrote:
        Lol at fat ass Davo calling other people fat. Hit the gym son

Dumo is so ****************ing stoopid he thinks being fat means you have too much money......

Good point! Thanks for the correction

Comment

• fretmess
        fretmess commented
        Editing a comment

Pennsylvania hospital gets shoeshine tips totaling $200,000 Associated Press PITTSBURGH

Davo17 wrote:

How do poor people get great private education?

How does the welfare system encourage families to break up?

How does being flexible with ones residence promote poverty?

Exactly what did he do when he himself was poor, how much did he earn and during what years? Remember, what he answered in the video was a "yes" without beings specific, followed by a rhetorical question that implies he was poor... followed by another rhetorical question claiming the issue isn't relevant in the first place...

Comment

• fatback
        fatback commented
        Editing a comment

Sloppy Santa wrote:

Davo17 wrote:

Exactly what did he do when he himself was poor, how much did he earn and during what years? Remember, what he answered in the video was a "yes" without beings specific, followed by a rhetorical question that implies he was poor... followed by another rhetorical question claiming the issue isn't relevant in the first place...

Context is everything - Milton was born in 1912 - so when he was working 38c an hour and working a 12 hour day it was probably considered a good wage.  When did Ford introduce the five dollar day?

Phil

• Davo17
        Davo17 commented
        Editing a comment

Sloppy Santa wrote:

Davo17 wrote:

vouchers, allowing parents to choose what schools work for their children, and thereby allowing competition to enter the picture.  The near monopoly as it exists today is failing.

Because it removes the impetus to stay together.  By giving checks to single moms, for example-mothers no longer need to find a decent male to live with-this leads to single parent households, and less stimuli for the men to provide.  Basic family structure anthropology 101.

I dont think the answer is relevant, in fact the point that he was once poor isnt relevant either, especially if you are considering his IDEAS in any case.  In any case, he came from a humble backround.

Davo17 wrote:

One problem with his line of thinking is one that is regurgitated here ad nauseum. It has to do with the evidence that something is working. If you have mutually exclusive systems competing for a chance to work, and one gets the chance to work during a specific point in time, then there is no way one can conclude that the other system wouldn't have worked as well during that point in time.

During our last century we made HUGE strides in technology. We got to a point where we use machines that basically make hundreds of design decisions for us and control our work... machines designing and constructing machines... This revolution in productivity is way more important to the increase of productivity than a socio-economic system is, with the exception of the systems that are directly destroying said resources on purpose.

So to say that the evidence of Capitalism's efficacy is increased productivity is nonsense, because the productivity would have increased regardless based on improved technology.

Comment

• Davo17
        Davo17 commented
        Editing a comment

Sloppy Santa wrote:

Davo17 wrote:

One problem with his line of thinking is one that is regurgitated here ad nauseum. It has to do with the evidence that something is working. If you have mutually exclusive systems competing for a chance to work, and one gets the chance to work during a specific point in time, then there is no way one can conclude that the other system wouldn't have worked as well during that point in time.

During our last century we made HUGE strides in technology. We got to a point where we use machines that basically make hundreds of design decisions for us and control our work... machines designing and constructing machines... This revolution in productivity is way more important to the increase of productivity than a socio-economic system is, with the exception of the systems that are directly destroying said resources on purpose.

So to say that the evidence of Capitalism's efficacy is increased productivity is nonsense, because the productivity would have increased regardless based on improved technology.

I dont buy that premise-while China for example has seen a boom in production capacity, and while the average Chinese has seen some improvements-its still readily apparent that the conditions and inequality in China are staggering.  Beyond that is the irony that Chinas boom has come from adopting capitalist principles.

He makes 100k per year.... Oh wait

Comment

^ This

Comment

I've no intention of watching the clip in the OP but here I am posting in the thread anyway

shrug

Attached Files

Comment

Can't be arsed to watch the vid, especially as it'd interfere with listening to King Crimson.  Best to just assume that whatever your opinion is, it's wrong.

OK?

###### Why can't I post anything here anymore??? ######

Comment

Great question. Who's the moron trying to respond to it?
              A Gadibus usque ad Auroram

Comment

Oh. Miltown Friedman. Advisor to tinpot dictators throughout South America. Probably responsible for Allende's murder.

Now I get it.
                A Gadibus usque ad Auroram

Comment

Working...
                X