Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado state senator criticized for remarks to rape victim at gun hearing.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado state senator criticized for remarks to rape victim at gun hearing.

A Colorado state senator has come under fire for remarks she made to a rape victim at a committee hearing Monday on a bill that would ban concealed weapons on public college campuses.

Sen. Evie Hudak, a Democrat from Westminster, Colo., criticized testimony provided by Amanda Collins, 27, who said that the attack on her at University of Nevada, Reno, may have been avoided had she been allowed to carry a gun on campus, The Denver Post reported.

"I just want to say that, actually, statistics are not on your side even if you had a gun," Hudak told Collins during the hearing, according to the report. "And chances are that if you would have had a gun, then he would have been able to get that from you and possibly use it against you."

Hudak cited statistical data compiled by the Colorado Coalition Against Gun Violence, claiming that for every woman who used a handgun to kill someone in self-defense, 83 were murdered by their own weapon, The Post reported.

Collins, who reportedly had a valid concealed-carry permit at the time of the assault, told the paper that Hudak's remarks were shocking and deeply disturbing. 

"I had a hard time falling asleep because I couldn't stop thinking about what she said to me," Collins said.

Dave Kopel, a professor at the University of Denver law school and author of a firearms law and policy textbook, told The Post that Hudak's comments displayed the senator's "self-righteous, ignorant bigotry."

Hudak, who apologized to Collins after the hearing, said in a statement to the paper that she "didn't mean to be insensitive." 

The bill, which would reverse a state Supreme Court ruling that forces colleges to accommodate students with concealed carry permits, passed the committee on a 3-2 party line vote.

Of course, presenting facts are "insensitive". Students carrying weapons on a college campus is a tragedy waiting to happen.

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
    ―J.S.B. Morse

they are idiots. 

http://www.glennbeck.com/2013/03/05/war-on-women-rape-survivor-dissed-by-colorado-politicians/?utm_source=Daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20 13-03-05_203927&utm_content=24800559&utm_term=_203927_20 3934

Comment

• John Ellis
      John Ellis commented
      Editing a comment

The other lib said that women should pee on their attackers. eek

Colorado is big on giving light sentances to rapists and pedophiles.

liberal utopia, at last.

Rape victims & victims of violence in general are deserving of empathy, sensitivity & our best efforts to give them some semblance of justice.  They also deserve to hear the truth.

I haven't heard Sen Hudak's tone at the hearing but nothing in her comments strikes me as insensitive, demeaning, or "bigoted."  Regardless of Miss Collins's status as a victim of violence, she is not entitled to make policy statements at committee hearings and cry foul when contratictory facts are presented. 

Miss Collins's proposal is non-sensical and displays an ignorance of both the statistics & culture of violence in the US.  Hopefully, my insensitive comments won't prevent her from sleeping.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

• Just Me
      Just Me commented
      Editing a comment

I honestly think that women would be safer if the had mace, finger on the button, whenever they are walking through an area that makes them nervous.

Its not really practical to have a gun in hand, finger on the trigger at all times.

I don't know about the statistics that were quoted, but it makes sense. I couldn't picture a woman being able to get the gun from her purse quickly enough if they are accosted. Hell most women I know it takes them 5 minutes to find anything in a purse.

Working...
X