Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

California woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • California woman dies after nurse refuses to perform CPR.

    A California retirement home is backing one of its nurses after she refused desperate pleas from a 911 operator to perform CPR on an elderly woman who later died, saying the nurse was following the facility's policy. 

    "Is there anybody that's willing to help this lady and not let her die," dispatcher Tracey Halvorson says on a 911 tape released by the Bakersfield Fire Department aired by several media outlets on Sunday.

    "Not at this time," said the nurse, who didn't give her full name and said facility policy prevented her from giving the woman medical help.

    At the beginning of the 7-minute, 16-second call on Tuesday morning, the nurse asked for paramedics to come and help the 87-year-old woman who had collapsed in the home's dining room and was barely breathing.

    Halvorson pleads for the nurse to perform CPR, and after several refusals she starts pleading for her to find a resident, or a gardener, or anyone not employed by the home to get on the phone, take her instructions and help the woman.

    "Can we flag someone down in the street and get them to help this lady?" Halvorson says on the call. "Can we flag a stranger down? I bet a stranger would help her."

    The woman was later declared dead at Mercy Southwest Hospital, officials said.

    The executive director of Glenwood Gardens, Jeffrey Toomer, defended the nurse's actions, saying she did indeed follow policy.

    "In the event of a health emergency at this independent living community our practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives," Toomer said in a written statement. "That is the protocol we followed."

    Toomer offered condolences to the woman's family and said a "thorough internal review" of the incident would be conducted.

    He told KGET-TV that residents of the home's independent living community are informed of the policy and agree to it when they move in. He said the policy does not apply at the adjacent assisted living and skilled nursing facilities.

    A county official also said the dispatcher followed general protocols when she pleaded with the nurse to perform CPR.

    Kern County Fire Department spokesman Sean Collins says Halvorson, who is an experienced dispatcher and has worked for the county center for at least a decade, had more passion in her voice than normal during the call because she thought she was talking with a registered nurse who was refusing to save the woman's life.

     
     
    Money is worth more than life.
    _________________________________________

    “True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
    ―J.S.B. Morse

  • #2

    Paging Dr. Davo Tubbalard.... Dr. Davo Tubbalard

    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

    Comment


    • Sloppy Santa
      Sloppy Santa commented
      Editing a comment
      profit solves all our problems...

      ...except this woman's... unless her problem was life I guess...

    • thankyou
      thankyou commented
      Editing a comment

      LithiumZero wrote:

      Paging Dr. Davo Tubbalard.... Dr. Davo Tubbalard


      He criticized my reporting of this because I mentioned it was "corporate policy", and that must have come from a liberal biased news source.  Fox must now have its liberalization project in place, trying to attract viewers after their dismal performance during the election.


    • Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

      LithiumZero wrote:

      Paging Dr. Davo Tubbalard.... Dr. Davo Tubbalard


      She had a DNR, son.


  • #3
    So what was the point of your rhetorical question?

    Comment


    • Just Me
      Just Me commented
      Editing a comment

      Sloppy Santa wrote:
      So what was the point of your rhetorical question?

      What are you talking about?


  • #4
    The previous post was for just me. Mobile version of the forum sucks a bit.

    Comment


    • #5

      With the knowledge and tech we have today, you'd think the medical industry would come up with another way of doing cpr.

      Comment


      • #6

        Mute point

         

        Family: Woman denied CPR wanted no intervention

        A woman who died after a nurse at her elder home refused to provide CPR had chosen to live in a facility without medical staff and wanted to pass away without life-prolonging intervention, her family said Tuesday.

        Lorraine Bayless' family said in a statement to The Associated Press that it does not plan to sue the independent living facility where the 87-year-old woman died last week.

        A 911 tape recounts a dramatic conversation between a dispatcher and a nurse who refused to cooperate with pleas for someone to start CPR as firefighters sped to the scene. In the 7-minute, 16-second exchange, the dispatcher insisted the nurse perform CPR or find someone willing to do it.

        The home's parent company said in a statement that the employee wrongly interpreted company policy when she declined to offer aide.

        "This incident resulted from a complete misunderstanding of our practice with regards to emergency medical care for our residents. Glenwood Gardens is conducting a full internal investigation," Brookdale Senior Living said, adding that the employee was on voluntary leave during the process.

        City fire officials say Bayless did not have a "do not resuscitate" order on file at the home. Her family said, however, "it was our beloved mother and grandmother's wish to die naturally and without any kind of life-prolonging intervention."

        Glenwood Gardens is an independent living facility, and company officials say no medical staff is employed there. The woman who identified herself as a nurse to the dispatcher was employed at the facility as a resident services director, the company said.

        The nurse's decision has prompted multiple state and local investigations at Glenwood Gardens in Bakersfield.

        The California attorney general was "aware" of the incident, said a spokeswoman, Lynda Gledhill. Bakersfield police were trying to determine whether a crime was committed when the nurse refused to assist the 911 dispatcher looking for someone to start CPR.

        The nation's largest trade group for senior living facilities has called for its members to review policies that employees might interpret as edicts to not cooperate with emergency responders.

        "It was a complete tragedy," said Maribeth Bersani, senior vice president of the Assisted Living Federation of America. "Our members are now looking at their policies to make sure they are clear. Whether they have one to initiate (CPR) or not, they should be responsive to what the 911 person tells them to do."

        Bayless collapsed in the Glenwood Gardens dining hall on Feb. 26. Someone called 911 on a cellphone asking for an ambulance to be sent and eventually a woman who identified herself as a nurse got on the line.

        Brookdale Senior Living said in a statement that the woman on the 911 call was "serving in the capacity of a resident services director, not a nurse."

        The Tennessee-based parent company also said that by law, the independent living facility is "not licensed to provide medical care to any of its residents." But it added later that it was reviewing company policies "involving emergency medical care across all of our communities."

        Bayless' family said she was aware that Glenwood Gardens did not offer trained medical staff, yet opted to live there anyway.

        "We understand that the 911 tape of this event has caused concern, but our family knows that mom had full knowledge of the limitations of Glenwood Gardens and is at peace," the family's statement said.

        The death shines a light on the varying medical care that different types of elderly housing provide

        Comment


        • Davo17
          Davo17 commented
          Editing a comment

          moonlightin wrote:

          Mute point

           

          Family: Woman denied CPR wanted no intervention

          A woman who died after a nurse at her elder home refused to provide CPR had chosen to live in a facility without medical staff and wanted to pass away without life-prolonging intervention, her family said Tuesday.

          Lorraine Bayless' family said in a statement to The Associated Press that it does not plan to sue the independent living facility where the 87-year-old woman died last week.

          A 911 tape recounts a dramatic conversation between a dispatcher and a nurse who refused to cooperate with pleas for someone to start CPR as firefighters sped to the scene. In the 7-minute, 16-second exchange, the dispatcher insisted the nurse perform CPR or find someone willing to do it.

          The home's parent company said in a statement that the employee wrongly interpreted company policy when she declined to offer aide.

          "This incident resulted from a complete misunderstanding of our practice with regards to emergency medical care for our residents. Glenwood Gardens is conducting a full internal investigation," Brookdale Senior Living said, adding that the employee was on voluntary leave during the process.

          City fire officials say Bayless did not have a "do not resuscitate" order on file at the home. Her family said, however, "it was our beloved mother and grandmother's wish to die naturally and without any kind of life-prolonging intervention."

          Glenwood Gardens is an independent living facility, and company officials say no medical staff is employed there. The woman who identified herself as a nurse to the dispatcher was employed at the facility as a resident services director, the company said.

          The nurse's decision has prompted multiple state and local investigations at Glenwood Gardens in Bakersfield.

          The California attorney general was "aware" of the incident, said a spokeswoman, Lynda Gledhill. Bakersfield police were trying to determine whether a crime was committed when the nurse refused to assist the 911 dispatcher looking for someone to start CPR.

          The nation's largest trade group for senior living facilities has called for its members to review policies that employees might interpret as edicts to not cooperate with emergency responders.

          "It was a complete tragedy," said Maribeth Bersani, senior vice president of the Assisted Living Federation of America. "Our members are now looking at their policies to make sure they are clear. Whether they have one to initiate (CPR) or not, they should be responsive to what the 911 person tells them to do."

          Bayless collapsed in the Glenwood Gardens dining hall on Feb. 26. Someone called 911 on a cellphone asking for an ambulance to be sent and eventually a woman who identified herself as a nurse got on the line.

          Brookdale Senior Living said in a statement that the woman on the 911 call was "serving in the capacity of a resident services director, not a nurse."

          The Tennessee-based parent company also said that by law, the independent living facility is "not licensed to provide medical care to any of its residents." But it added later that it was reviewing company policies "involving emergency medical care across all of our communities."

          Bayless' family said she was aware that Glenwood Gardens did not offer trained medical staff, yet opted to live there anyway.

          "We understand that the 911 tape of this event has caused concern, but our family knows that mom had full knowledge of the limitations of Glenwood Gardens and is at peace," the family's statement said.

          The death shines a light on the varying medical care that different types of elderly housing provide


      • #7
        He's just senile
        "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

        Comment


        • #8
          I didn't say otherwise son. I just knew you'd show up playing doctor even though you're not one
          "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

          Comment


          • Davo17
            Davo17 commented
            Editing a comment

            LithiumZero wrote:
            I didn't say otherwise son. I just knew you'd show up playing doctor even though you're not one

            I suspect you also hold out hope that your dad will come back from the store one day, even though he left when you were 12.

             

            Son.


        • #9
          Who are you talking about? Davo's previous example was about socialism.

          Comment


          • quickie1
            quickie1 commented
            Editing a comment

            Sloppy Santa wrote:
            Who are you talking about? Davo's previous example was about socialism.

            Remember who you are replying to Sloppy......John Ellis isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.....he can barely find the shed.....


        • #10
          "That is the protocol we followed."

          That's pretty funny. It's the classic "I was just following orders." defense.

          Comment


          • #11

            I can tell you that if an adult over the age of 55 flatlines, we've got about a 4% chance of getting them back. 96% says that woman would not have survived.

            Boo

            Comment


            • quickie1
              quickie1 commented
              Editing a comment

              Disemboweler wrote:

              I can tell you that if an adult over the age of 55 flatlines, we've got about a 4% chance of getting them back. 96% says that woman would not have survived.


              It's worth the chance.....especially if it's your mother or wife.


            • John Ellis
              John Ellis commented
              Editing a comment

              Disemboweler wrote:

              I can tell you that if an adult over the age of 55 flatlines, we've got about a 4% chance of getting them back. 96% says that woman would not have survived.


               Yep

               And then there's a question of quality of life.

               I'm a believer in resusitation of a person injured in a traumatic event but otherwise  healthy. 

               But if it's a person passing of natural causes, let them go. This lady had almost 90 years  just to get dumped in a care facility. She was ready to go. 


            • Davo17
              Davo17 commented
              Editing a comment

              Disemboweler wrote:

              I can tell you that if an adult over the age of 55 flatlines, we've got about a 4% chance of getting them back. 96% says that woman would not have survived.


              And she's prehospital, so I believe it drops to 2 percent.



          Working...
          X