No announcement yet.

Kudos to Rand Paul

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kudos to Rand Paul

I think he's a complete idiot, but his old fashioned filibuster on the Brennan CIA appointment is totally cool.  First, he's doing it the old fashioned way, a la "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", saying he's going to talk until he can't anymore.  He's had the floor for over 8 hours now, and he's not slowing down.  Second, he know's he doesn't have the votes to block Brennan's appointment,  so he's doing it out of respect for his principles.  Third, he is speaking to the point (most of the time) about the need for public awareness regarding the use of drones both internationally and domestically, rather than just reading a dictionary, newspaper or encyclopedia.  Fourth, he is shaming the liberals on this issue, who are willing to rubber stamp the appointment of the person who is the architect of our current drone policy.

So kudos to Paul for the effort. 

He's still a complete idiot, though. 

Even a stopped clock is correct twice a day.  It will be interesting to see if when Brennan takes the directorship he actually moves the administration of the drone program to the Pentagon.  Few people willingly give up power.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding

Comment

If humanity is lucky he'll pass away from exhaustion.

Seriously, no joke...I sincerely hope he dies

Comment

• PFB
        PFB commented
        Editing a comment

I'll give a kudo to the post about giving Rand Paul kudos.

Did he never vote to approve a budget deficit?

Is he an opponent of wars?

Did he criticize foreign policy in the Middle East?

Is he for non-interventionism in foreign policy?

Does he advocates an immediate withdrawal of U.S. military from all countries?

If not, shoot the bastard.

Comment

• gspointer
        gspointer commented
        Editing a comment

Rudolf von Hagenwil wrote:

Well, I think he is safe from being shot per your list.

• Davo17
        Davo17 commented
        Editing a comment

Rudolf von Hagenwil wrote:

Worry about politics on your side of the pond, euro trash.

And real good idea, advocating the killing of a US senator, euro trash.

• testuser
        testuser commented
        Editing a comment

larry50 wrote:

I think he's a complete idiot, but his old fashioned filibuster on the Brennan CIA appointment is totally cool.  First, he's doing it the old fashioned way, a la "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington", saying he's going to talk until he can't anymore.  He's had the floor for over 8 hours now, and he's not slowing down.  Second, he know's he doesn't have the votes to block Brennan's appointment,  so he's doing it out of respect for his principles.  Third, he is speaking to the point (most of the time) about the need for public awareness regarding the use of drones both internationally and domestically, rather than just reading a dictionary, newspaper or encyclopedia.  Fourth, he is shaming the liberals on this issue, who are willing to rubber stamp the appointment of the person who is the architect of our current drone policy.

Noted.

Comment

The same Rand Paul who wants to do away with public safety/health regulations and inspections via the EPA, FDA, OSHA, USDA, ...etc

Comment

• larry50
          larry50 commented
          Editing a comment

SHRED wrote:

The same Rand Paul who wants to do away with public safety/health regulations and inspections via the EPA, FDA, OSHA, USDA, ...etc

I said I thought he was a complete idiot. 

• Caulk Rocket
          Caulk Rocket commented
          Editing a comment

SHRED wrote:

I'm glad Rand Paul won't stop the FDA and USDA from protecting me from medical marijuana. 

• testuser
          testuser commented
          Editing a comment

SHRED wrote:

I knew there was something I liked about him.

I wasn't aware there were any liberals who opposed domestic drone use. Why would they be shamed?

Comment

• Davo17
          Davo17 commented
          Editing a comment

infragreen wrote:
          I wasn't aware there were any liberals who opposed domestic drone use. Why would they be shamed?

Its ok when Obama does it you see.

Its unfortunate that more politicians aren't as concerned about violating the Constitution.

Its also unfortunate that more Americans don't care.

Comment

• kissmyace
          kissmyace commented
          Editing a comment

so, the lib are ok with Obama having the authority to kill anyone he deems a threat

Attached Files

The most dangerous precedent here is changing when and how lethal force can be used against an American at home.
        Today, a cop can't legally shoot you unless he's defending himself or another citizen from imminent threat. Pull a gun on a cop? Get shot. It's that easy.
        With a drone, however, there's no cop in danger. Maybe if you have a gun to the head of someone else, but I don't think a drone is good enough to make that shot.
        So, by allowing drones, we are changing that standard. Who makes the call on who gets zapped? Some hungover police sergeant? A beareaucrat at DHS? Obama himself? Can obama order a strike on a "compound" of domestic terrorists? What if those domestic terrorists are tree spikers and a republican president wants to pull that trigger?
        How far do we go?

I thought obama was all about protecting the little guy from the man. Now that he's the man, though, it's beginning to look less like equality and more like turning the tables.

That's why we have laws in this country. To protect us from the whims of human politicians.
        We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

• Tom Hicks
          Tom Hicks commented
          Editing a comment

if you don't really know, guessing is an acceptable substitute around here?

Elias Graves wrote:

So, by allowing drones, we are changing that standard. Who makes the call on who gets zapped? Some hungover police sergeant? A beareaucrat at DHS?

don't mind me, i hate to see good hyperbole go to waste. it wouldn't take long before the Red Dawn/militia crowd get their own aircraft and fight back against tyranny.

redneck drone

Attached Files

larry50 wrote:

I find myself in agreement, somewhat. He brought attention to something that deserved it, while not seriously impeding the appointment.

But now we end up having to grapple with history. Bonnie and Clyde can be considered the model for this. They died at the hands of law enforcement without being given an opportunity to surrender, with no conviction and no trial. They were ambushed, and machine-gunned til they didn't move any more. Just for being considered a strong enough enemy of the state. Many other notorious criminals throughout American history died in similar circumstance, and then there's the fate of so many in the early 1800s who (think Whiskey Rebellion) likewise died without due process.

Or more specifically, without what WE consider due process.

Not agreeing with Holder.

Just sayin'.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

Working...
        X