Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you drive Manual or Automatic??

It's sort of a political issue, I guess. Where I come from, almost everyone drives automatics, like in the United States. I practiced on a manual, but I haven't driven one for over three years so I probably would have forgotten how to do so.

Starting to get tired of Europeans telling me that 'you're not driving if you're not driving on manual'. :robotsurprised:

In the end, which is better? (safety, efficiency, etc.)

Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky

Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

I drive both. My drop-top is a manual, my pickup and the family car are automatics.  And, of course, the motorcycle is manual.

Stop and go traffic is really, really hard with a manual.  High speed highway driving is no different whichever.

Manual is generally more fun, but functionally absolutely no better, except MAYBE when down-shifting into curves.  But I like it better except in traffic jams or when plowing with the truck.  Then the automatic is better.

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
      Editing a comment

I employ a chauffeur.

• radomu
      radomu commented
      Editing a comment

yanktar wrote:

I drive both. My drop-top is a manual, my pickup and the family car are automatics.  And, of course, the motorcycle is manual.

Stop and go traffic is really, really hard with a manual.  High speed highway driving is no different whichever.

Manual is generally more fun, but functionally absolutely no better, except MAYBE when down-shifting into curves.  But I like it better except in traffic jams or when plowing with the truck.  Then the automatic is better.

I was told they save more energy?

I prefer manuals because I feel like I have more control and they are more engaging. I enjoy the challenge of driving a manual gearbox well, especially heel and toe downshifts.

I am not a fan of paddle shifters either, even in sports cars.

Originally Posted by Papa Grizzly

Auntie Em just piddled her knickers.

Originally Posted by 55gibby

It's OK that you're a dumbass... but it's not OK that you're boring. If you're going to be stupid, a least be funny

Originally Posted by Hoddy

First off, I'm not Hoddy, and secondly as far as groveling is concerned, probably about as much as Johnny66 or Daddysguitar did when they were banned.

Comment

• GaIIus
      GaIIus commented
      Editing a comment

Manual.

Automatics are for fat lazy ****************s.

Both of my cars have manual transmissions. I feel like I have more control that way.
    Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Comment

radomu wrote:

It's sort of a political issue, I guess. Where I come from, almost everyone drives automatics, like in the United States. I practiced on a manual, but I haven't driven one for over three years so I probably would have forgotten how to do so.

Starting to get tired of Europeans telling me that 'you're not driving if you're not driving on manual'. :robotsurprised:

Safety comes from the driver, not the transmission.

My pickup is manual, my wife and daughter's cars are automatic, and all three of us can drive either type, so that if either lady need to borrow my truck, they can do so.

About only real difference is that manual vehicles get better gas milage, all other things being equal, and manual transmissions are easier to work on, so are a bit cheaper to get fixed.

Comment

• rbstern
        rbstern commented
        Editing a comment

I love driving manual transmission vehicles on open streteches of roadway, mountains, anything "sporting."

It gets monotonous for in town driving, and makes drinking coffee a challenge.

radomu wrote:

I drive a manual.  In fact, I've never driven an automatic.

In the UK if you take your driving test in a manual, you can drive either, but if you take it in an automatic, you're restricted to auto.

I've got nothing against automatics, just never driven one yet.

Question: Why did the monkey fall out of the tree?

Answer: because it was dead.

Comment

• willhaven
        willhaven commented
        Editing a comment

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lu5euzk9aF1qfd629o1_500.jpg

Manual. Besides being far more fun, you can also eke out significantly more miles by making particular choices - such as neutral-coasting on downhills.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

• Hoppy Shimko
        Hoppy Shimko commented
        Editing a comment

I have both. I prefer manual.

I don't own a car.  My boat has a one speed manual transmission.

"Anyone who believes exponential growth can go on forever is either a madman or an economist." Kenneth Boulding

Comment

• gubu
        gubu commented
        Editing a comment

Manual

• planteater-X
        planteater-X commented
        Editing a comment

note4note wrote:

I don't own a car.  My boat has a one speed manual transmission.

5 speed manual car. 

Boat has a rag on a stick (plus a two speed F/R auxilliary for bad days).

manual is a spanish guy and i don't really roll that way. 

automatic is a cute thai, that i drive, whenever i go to bangkok.. 

oh wait! is this one of them serious threads? 

Comment

• RedRoadEnsemble
        RedRoadEnsemble commented
        Editing a comment

yumpy wrote:

manual is a spanish guy and i don't really roll that way. 

automatic is a cute thai, that i drive, whenever i go to bangkok.. 

oh wait! is this one of them serious threads? 

You could not read or drive a manual w/o Manuel's help.

Driving is a miserable ****************ing chore. Anything that makes it a little less tedious is fine with me.

Comment

My Wife and I prefer a stick shift. We have a Honda Del Sol with 160,000 miles on it and the original clutch. (One owner car.) We're obviously not hard on clutches. (I'd be surprised if we go beyond 200,000 without replacing it.) But all the reasons that one has to prefer a manual over an automatic are gone. Traction control is better than a stick. (Though it's not really a choice restricted to one because you can get that with either type of transmission.) And automatics have gotten rid of any noticeable difference in gas mileage. Manuals are a bit cheaper, but are harder to find available in some models. Manuals are cheaper to repair and maintain. That's the only advantage left if you already know how to drive one without frying the clutch. Stupid driving can fry a clutch in a few thousand miles. (I've never stalled a stick shift! bragging can leave you with some sizable repair bills.) resting your foot on the clutch pedal will also fry the clutch in short order. Not removing your foot from the clutch between shifts is bad. As is sitting at a stop light with the clutch disengaged instead of waiting with the transmission in neutral and the clutch engaged. (Saves serious wear on the throw out bearing. An ugly fix.)

Comment

• madryan
          madryan commented
          Editing a comment

My Honda is a manual.  I pretty much only buy manuals.  They're much easier to drive in snow than auto's.  They're much more fun on an autocross track too.  Manual trannys weigh a few hundred pounds less usually.

For stop and go traffic I'd probably snag a cheap automatic.

radomu wrote:

It's sort of a political issue, 

No it's not.

Comment

• gubu
          gubu commented
          Editing a comment

ASS MURPHY wrote:

No it's not.

Ya it is. It boils down to whether you're part of the 47% who believe they're entitled to have their gears changed for them, or part of the majority of hard working salt of the earth folk who work hard every day changing their own gears.

Working...
      X