Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop and Frisk?

Should it be used in our inner cities to curb the crime problem?

Should cops be able to stop and frisk somebody on the basis of "reasonable suspicion"?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/stop-and-frisk-may-be-working-but-is-it-racist/267417/

just brown yellow and black people should be targeted

┌∩┐(â—•_â—•)┌∠©â”

Comment

• Caulk Rocket
      Caulk Rocket commented
      Editing a comment
      No.

**************** the police.

• The Badger
      The Badger commented
      Editing a comment

lagger wrote:

just brown yellow and black people should be targeted

So are white people with long hair who look twice out the car window at some cop who's sitting on the grass, half way down a freeway onramp. 

I know this, because it happened to me, on morninig. My ex was driving me home from classes in Massachusetts, and just south of the New Hampshire border, some cop pulled us over and went through my pockets. He never even talked to her. I asked why and he said, "weapons check." 

As for the "probable cause" in the case of Terry v. Ohio, Martin McFadden, the Clevenand police detective who did that stop-and-frisk did have "probable cause." He'd been watching John Terry and Richard Chilton walking back and forth past a store window several times, then pausing at the street corner to talk. He thought they might be planning a robbery, so he stopped and frisked them, turning up guns in their pockets. 

That cop who pulled me over didn't even do that, he just saw someone shaggy looking at him the wrong way and pulled us over. Good thing that didn't go to court, because he'd have had some 'splainin' to do.

Just Me wrote:

Should cops be able to stop and frisk somebody on the basis of "reasonable suspicion"?

http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2013/01/stop-and-frisk-may-be-working-but-is-it-racist/267417/

Yes, absolutely.

Comment

• trainset
      trainset commented
      Editing a comment
      Shane wants black people searched

Just: It shouldn't be, but it is.

Comment

• RedRoadEnsemble
      RedRoadEnsemble commented
      Editing a comment

I would let the police officer frisk me. I would make fun of its discretion as I left.

Just Me wrote:

Absolute BS.

Cops have too much power now. Even if you do have a gun or contraband that doesn't come close to proving that you will use it to commit a crime. We have too many cops and too many people who want the government to protect them from every possible threat.

If you want to lower crime then we must address the underlying problem instead of becoming a police state in an effort to prevent it.

Originally Posted by Papa Grizzly

Auntie Em just piddled her knickers.

Originally Posted by 55gibby

It's OK that you're a dumbass... but it's not OK that you're boring. If you're going to be stupid, a least be funny

Originally Posted by Hoddy

First off, I'm not Hoddy, and secondly as far as groveling is concerned, probably about as much as Johnny66 or Daddysguitar did when they were banned.

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
      Daryl Flynn commented
      Editing a comment

newbie chick wrote:

Just Me wrote:

Absolute BS.

Cops have too much power now. Even if you do have a gun or contraband that doesn't come close to proving that you will use it to commit a crime. We have too many cops and too many people who want the government to protect them from every possible threat.

If you want to lower crime then we must address the underlying problem instead of becoming a police state in an effort to prevent it.

The inner cities need a police state.

Not more handouts.

lol @ "address the underlying problem"

translation: more handouts

Newbie: every once in a while we agree. LOL

Comment

Working...
    X