Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GOP of Old Has Grown Stale And Moss-Covered

Rand Paul says "liberty needs to be the backbone of the GOP"   www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/03/14/rand_paul_the_gop_of_old_has_grown_stale_and_moss-covered.html.

I think he's exactly right, that the failure of the right has been a failure to sell America on the superiority of liberty.

Thoughts?  (yeah, I know, I'm asking for thought on HCPP.  But I'm in a humorous mood)

The GOP needs to go back to Reagan style politics and never waver again.

Comment

• Used2BMarkoh
      Used2BMarkoh commented
      Editing a comment

Daryl Flynn wrote:

I heard Mayor Bloomberg on TV yesterday morning (the things you have to put up with in a doctor's office!).  He said something to the effect of "well excuse me for trying to make the lives of my people better".  And I thought "what about freedom, your majesty?  What about giving your serfs freedom?".   It just highlighted for me how the blueblood GOP has abandoned the real American dream, which is liberty.

• coyote-1
      coyote-1 commented
      Editing a comment

Daryl Flynn wrote:

Reagan was a demagogue. THe GOP's lonely boner for him obscures so many flaws in his politics....

In case you didn't notice, Romney and Perry both tried to claim the "personable, amiable tall guy with good hair" mantle that Reagan held. Both failed. In a previous election cycle, Fred Thompson tried for the "conservative actor now in politics" Reagan mantle... he also failed.

Reagan's appeal was to my grandma. But she'd dead. America is no longer so enamored of 2nd rae actors who sell them cigarettes.

• BA.Barcolounger
      BA.Barcolounger commented
      Editing a comment

Daryl Flynn wrote:

Yeah, let's have the GOP go back to giving amnesty to illegal aliens, selling arms to Iran, giving away free health care in ER's, and tripling the national debt.

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

Rand Paul says "liberty needs to be the backbone of the GOP"   www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/03/14/rand_paul_the_gop_of_old_has_grown_stale_and_moss-covered.html.

I think he's exactly right, that the failure of the right has been a failure to sell America on the superiority of liberty.

Thoughts?  (yeah, I know, I'm asking for thought on HCPP.  But I'm in a humorous mood)

Here's a thought for you: If you want someone's opinion, it might be smart not to insult their intelligence before they speak. Being belittled before one has the opportunity to express themselves could cause an individual to discern his time would be mis-spent.

Try it. You might have improved results.

Comment

• Used2BMarkoh
      Used2BMarkoh commented
      Editing a comment

Hoppy Shimko wrote:

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

Here's a thought for you: If you want someone's opinion, it might be smart not to insult their intelligence before they speak. Being belittled before one has the opportunity to express themselves could cause an individual to discern his time would be mis-spent.

Try it. You might have improved results.

Hey, you could prove me wrong, by posting some relevant thoughts.  Now wouldn't that just make your day, to prove me wrong?

(You could also google "sense of humor")

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

My thoughts on the matter are simply this:

Heinlein's Law: For any given society the product of Liberty and Security is always a constant.

You simply cannot have more of one without having less of the other. For reasons that likely deserve their own lenghty discussion, the American people have at some point decided that more security (and therefore less liberty) was a good thing.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

• coyote-1
      coyote-1 commented
      Editing a comment

Red Ant wrote:
      My thoughts on the matter are simply this:

Heinlein's Law: For any given society the product of Liberty and Security is always a constant

You simply cannot have more of one without having less of the other. For reasons that likely deserve their own lenghty discussion, the American people have at some point decided that more security (and therefore less liberty) was a good thing.

Those are not your thoughts. They are Heinlein's, and merely carrying a Teutonic moniker does not imbue the thought with wisdom.

Consider this: You are not at liberty to make an informed choice about your frozen fishstick purchase if you don't have the security of government forcing the manufacturer to provide all pertinent information. How much mercury is in the fish? Is it cod or tilapia or hake? Does the breading contain industrial gum to keep it adhered to the fish? Was it pre-fried in lard or canola or other oil? Does it contain chemical "flavor enhancers"??

But the fishstick producer sure is at liberty to throw whatever cheap crap they want into that fishstick, aren't they.

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

The failure of the right has been the insistence on continuing to try to bring 'christian morals' into politics.  The reason that Obama won the vote of women in this country by such a large margin is the right's position on abortion.  The reason that Obama won the vote of young people in this country is the right's position on gay marriage.  When the GOP continues to parrot 'conservative values', and NOT personal liberty, they will continue to lose votes.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
    — Isaac Asimov

Comment

• moonlightin
      moonlightin commented
      Editing a comment

gtrjones wrote:

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

The failure of the right has been the insistence on continuing to try to bring 'christian morals' into politics.  The reason that Obama won the vote of women in this country by such a large margin is the right's position on abortion.  The reason that Obama won the vote of young people in this country is the right's position on gay marriage.  When the GOP continues to parrot 'conservative values', and NOT personal liberty, they will continue to lose votes.

yep

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

The right can't sell America on the superiority of liberty when they're not about liberty.

Comment

Working...
    X