Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Maher moving from Calif over high taxes

Bill Maher made a comment Friday that his benefactor and hero Barack Obama should sit up and take notice of. Speaking about the taxes the rich pay particularly in California, the host of HBO's Real Time said, "Liberals - you could actually lose me" (video follows with transcribed highlights and commentary):

The panel discussion began with a conversation about the various budget proposals currently on the table in Washington. MSNBC Rachel Maddow predictably slammed Congressman Paul Ryan's (R-Wisc.) plan. "The Ryan budget is a document that says the big problems in America right now are that rich people do not have enough money," she mocked. "They need relief from confiscatory tax rates."

"Well," Maher unsuccessfully tried to interrupt as Maddow continued. When she was finally done, he surprisingly pushed back. Pointing at Virginia's former Republican Congressman Tom Davis, Maher said, "You know what? Rich people - I'm sure you'd agree with this - actually do pay the freight in this country."

"I just saw these statistics," he continued, "I mean, something like 70 percent. And here in California, I just want to say liberals - you could actually lose me. It's outrageous what we're paying - over 50 percent. I'm willing to pay my share, but yeah, it's ridiculous." So it appears there is a point where Maher's money becomes more important than his politics.

Consider that in California, millionaires on top of the 39.6 percent they'll pay to the federal government in 2013, there's an additional 14.63 percent that now goes to the state. Add in payroll taxes, local taxes, and property taxes, and I've seen estimates that the total tax bite could exceed 60 percent here.

But the rich aren't paying their "fair share."

Link

Hey Obama, take your Fair Share and shove it up your ass.

Disclaimer: My threads and posts are created to allow forum members to discuss interesting subject matter.

I reserve the right to change my decisions at anytime.

Good riddance, maggot.

I'm serious Daryl - my finger is hovering a millimeter over the ban button...

Comment

• Alndln3
      Alndln3 commented
      Editing a comment

Daryl Flynn wrote:

Good riddance, maggot.

The maggot Visconti lied about leaving the forum and is still here.

Visconti wrote:

Bill Maher made a comment Friday that his benefactor and hero Barack Obama should sit up and take notice of. Speaking about the taxes the rich pay particularly in California, the host of HBO's Real Time said, "Liberals - you could actually lose me" (video follows with transcribed highlights and commentary):

The panel discussion began with a conversation about the various budget proposals currently on the table in Washington. MSNBC Rachel Maddow predictably slammed Congressman Paul Ryan's (R-Wisc.) plan. "The Ryan budget is a document that says the big problems in America right now are that rich people do not have enough money," she mocked. "They need relief from confiscatory tax rates."

"Well," Maher unsuccessfully tried to interrupt as Maddow continued. When she was finally done, he surprisingly pushed back. Pointing at Virginia's former Republican Congressman Tom Davis, Maher said, "You know what? Rich people - I'm sure you'd agree with this - actually do pay the freight in this country."

"I just saw these statistics," he continued, "I mean, something like 70 percent. And here in California, I just want to say liberals - you could actually lose me. It's outrageous what we're paying - over 50 percent. I'm willing to pay my share, but yeah, it's ridiculous." So it appears there is a point where Maher's money becomes more important than his politics.

Consider that in California, millionaires on top of the 39.6 percent they'll pay to the federal government in 2013, there's an additional 14.63 percent that now goes to the state. Add in payroll taxes, local taxes, and property taxes, and I've seen estimates that the total tax bite could exceed 60 percent here.

Link

Being concerned for your personal financial well being doesn't conflict with your politics. Maher is right, in his own case.
    If I live in California and they have a 10% personal income tax and a 9% sales tax (L.A. county and some others) and I decide to move to Washington, which has no state income tax, and live near Oregon, which has no sales tax, I can return about 17%-19% of my gross income (depending on what county in California I leave) to my take home pay. I'm paying my 'fair share' in Washington, because that's what they require of me, and I'm paying my 'fair share' in Oregon, because that's what they ask of me there.
    Isn't this still America, and don't you favor people being able to move about freely, and for states to set their own tax requirements? Or do you require people to live where they contribute the most?
    Seems sort of 'big government' to me . . .

Comment

• Kreatorkind
      Kreatorkind commented
      Editing a comment
      Liar. Nowhere does it say that Maher is moving from California.

Why is the thread title a lie?

Mayer announced no move, or no plans to move.

Comment

• kav
      kav commented
      Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:

Ingesting vast quantities of semen has clouded the OP's mind.

• snebarekim
      snebarekim commented
      Editing a comment

BA.Barcolounger wrote:

He states "Liberals, you could actually lose me."  Apparently OP has construed that into moving from the state, which may be correct. OR he could mean he wont march to the leftist drum on that subject anymore.

In the video Maher is ready to book out of California over being forced to pay more than his fair share.

FU Obama Jug.

Disclaimer: My threads and posts are created to allow forum members to discuss interesting subject matter.

I reserve the right to change my decisions at anytime.

Comment

• Kreatorkind
      Kreatorkind commented
      Editing a comment

Visconti wrote:

In the video Maher is ready to book out of California over being forced to pay more than his fair share.

FU Obama Jug.

Wrong. Did you even watch the show?

• splatbass
      splatbass commented
      Editing a comment

Visconti wrote:

FU Obama Jug.

How are California state income tax rates Obama's fault? You realize that the president doesn't set state tax rates, right? Or are you really that stupid?

Visconti wrote:

Link

You still here?

Comment

Working...
    X