X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violating my 2nd Amendment Rights

UCF classes canceled after IEDs found on campus

The University of Central Florida in Orlando canceled some of its classes on Monday after police responding to a 911 call found improvised explosive devices in a dorm room and a man dead in an apparent suicide.

A school official said that a fire alarm went off in the Tower 1 residence hall at approximately 12:20 a.m. Monday. As firefighters were en route, police received a 911 call reporting a man with a gun. The building

To you I'm an atheist; but to God, I'm the Loyal Opposition.

We need to ban explosives.

Comment

• coyote-1
      coyote-1 commented
      Editing a comment

Explosives are the only thing between us and a gubmint takeover of our explosives.

Ask Tim McVeigh, he'll tell ya

My word....

Comment

RogueGnome wrote:

The University of Central Florida in Orlando canceled some of its classes on Monday after police responding to a 911 call found improvised explosive devices in a dorm room and a man dead in an apparent suicide.

A school official said that a fire alarm went off in the Tower 1 residence hall at approximately 12:20 a.m. Monday. As firefighters were en route, police received a 911 call reporting a man with a gun. The building

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Comment

• Ghost of Strat555
        Ghost of Strat555 commented
        Editing a comment

rbstern wrote:

RogueGnome wrote:

• RogueGnome
        RogueGnome commented
        Editing a comment

rbstern wrote:

RogueGnome wrote:

Coyote: My belief is that what is illegal for the people must also be illegal for the government.

Comment

• gismo recording
        gismo recording commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
        Coyote: My belief is that what is illegal for the people must also be illegal for the government.

So you think it should be illegal for the government to own nukes? Or should it be legal for you and I to own nukes?
        Either one is stupidity in the extreme.

• coyote-1
        coyote-1 commented
        Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

An admirable concept to be certain. But historically a bit naive, and certainly unsustainable in the modern world.

A republic necessarily empowers government to go beyond what a private citizen may do. Most obvious example is incarceration. The state may, under law, incarcerate those who violate certain of those laws. I'm not sure I want to see the private citizenry empowered to do that. Due process is a difficult enough ideal to attain at the state and federal levels. How would that be managed if every citizen could empanel his/her own jury, incarcerate other citizens, etc?

Gizmo: Stupidity in the extreme is allowing the government to make illegal for the people what is legal for itself.

Comment

Coyote: The empowerment comes from the people.

The people can delegate tasks to the government, but only if they themselves have the power as an individual. Obviously, you cannot have the government or anyone else do for you that which would be illegal for you to do yourself.

Comment

• coyote-1
          coyote-1 commented
          Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
          Coyote: The empowerment comes from the people.

The people can delegate tasks to the government, but only if they themselves have the power as an individual. Obviously, you cannot have the government or anyone else do for you that which would be illegal for you to do yourself.

It is illegal for me, or you, to incarcerate someone.

Since we're on the 2nd, you are of course aware that one possible 'solution' to the problem of gun violence has been floated by the NRA and its minions, and that is to "do something about" insane people. They are painting it as "I have a right to my guns. It is crazies that should be kept away" from firearms. Given the NRA objects to all background checks, how do we read this?

Should society be going around doing assessments of the mental health of everyone, and if those individuals are deemed unfit to handle firearms lock them up?

Mauser, beliefs are all well and good. But at a certain point, your belief about item A conflicts with your own belief about item B. At some point, you have to do what the Right always talks about: TAKE RESPONSIBILITY. Take responsibility for resolving the conflicts in your own beliefs. Without such resolution, those beliefs are nothing mre than platitude and talking point. The way to make **principle** from them is to do the mental hard work of resolving the inherent conflicts.

Coyote: The people certainly have the right to make arrests and hold the individual until they can be turned over to the people to whom we've delegated that power.

Comment

Coyote: You may have conflicting beliefs, but I do not.

Comment

• coyote-1
            coyote-1 commented
            Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
            Coyote: You may have conflicting beliefs, but I do not.

Do you believe government and individuals ought have equal power to incarcerate lawbreakers?
            Do you believe existing laws against murder ought be enforced?

Do you believe due process is a requirement of law enforcement leading to incarceration?

Do you believe government ought not regulate individual lives?

How do you verify due process if individuals incarcerate other individuals?

You see where this is going. Absent complete anarchy, there are bound to be conflicts. Aleister Crowley's "Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of law" allows for murder, rape, etc with zero consequence.

And if you do seek that anarchy, there's a nation waiting for you on the west coast of Africa.

Coyote: The only real conflict comes when the government believes itself to be above the people from whom it receives its powers.

Comment

Yank: There's nothing absurd about the belief that the government shouldn't make illegal for the people what it makes legal for itself.

Comment

• yanktar
              yanktar commented
              Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
              Yank: There's nothing absurd about the belief that the government shouldn't make illegal for the people what it makes legal for itself.

So you want any yahoo in Montana or the Ozarks to be able to have a nuclear weapon.

You want any rich guy to be able to own an F-22 loaded with radar and heat-seeking missiles.

You want the Koch Bros to be able to build a private army as well armed as the US military, answerable to nobody but the Koch Bros.

Guess what, Mauser. Not even this SCOTUS is going to interpret the 2nd to mean that.  They made that crystal clear in "Heller".  So only a few wild-eyed fringers are going to agree with you, not the overwhelming majority of Americans.

Yank: What I want is for that which is illegal for the people to also be illegal for the government.

If you believe the people to be the servants and government the master, then I can understand your reticence.

Comment

• yanktar
              yanktar commented
              Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
              Yank: What I want is for that which is illegal for the people to also be illegal for the government.

If you believe the people to be the servants and government the master, then I can understand your reticence.

M,

You can keep dodging the issue as much as you like but the bottom line is: You're never going to get the VAST majority of Americans, or the courts to EVER agree that you are entitled to own and possess military weapons from Stinger shoulder-fired missiles to ICBMs tipped with MIRVs, to "Boomer" subs or nuclear-powered aircraft carriers.

You can live in the paranoid fantasy that they are out to get you, but ALL we need to do is stop electing dumb-ass yahoos, at every level from town councils to the US Senate.

Yank: The issue goes far beyond the 2nd Amendment.

The reason most prefer the current arrangement is because they can't fathom not having the government involved in every aspect of their lives.

Its amazing they don't ask permission before wiping their ass.

Comment

• RogueGnome
              RogueGnome commented
              Editing a comment

the gun lobby has won the debate yet again.

It is no longer about guns; it has been shifted to the capacity of the magazines.

Just as they have always manipulated the debate from guns to indiviudal freedoms.

Point goes to NRA and their ilk.

game over.

Rogue: Its always about individual freedoms and the government and others wanting to infringe upon them.

Whether the issue is guns or marijuana or seat belts.....the bottom line remains the same.

Comment

• RogueGnome
              RogueGnome commented
              Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
              Rogue: Its always about individual freedoms and the government and others wanting to infringe upon them.

Whether the issue is guns or marijuana or seat belts.....the bottom line remains the same.

no, I'm not challenging that.

Same with abortion, gay marriage.

Individual rights vs State intervention. I know, I know.

tip o' the hat to the NRA. They're good.

Yanktar: if the RATE is the same for 1991 DC and present Chicago are the same, then the population increase doesn't matter...

Comment

• yanktar
              yanktar commented
              Editing a comment

prolurkerguy wrote:
              Yanktar: if the RATE is the same for 1991 DC and present Chicago are the same, then the population increase doesn't matter...

DId I say it wrong?--the TOTAL # of murders in DC in 1991 and Chicago 2012 are virtually the same.  The RATE was 4x greater in DC.  74/100K vs  18.5/100k Chicago.

Working...
          X