Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Assault weapons ban won't be in Dems' gun bill!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assault weapons ban won't be in Dems' gun bill!

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The sponsor of a proposed assault weapons ban says Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has told her that the ban will not be part of the initial gun control measure the Senate will debate next month.

California Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein says that instead of being included in the measure, the ban will be offered as an amendment.

The decision, which was expected, means that the ban seems to stand little chance of surviving because of expected solid opposition from Republicans and likely defections from some moderate Democrats.

The ban was one of four gun control measures approved this month by the Senate Judiciary Committee. The others would expand required federal background checks for firearms buyers, increase federal penalties for illegal gun trafficking and boost school safety money.

:cat:

Expected, and I'm OK with it. If something passes it should pass on its own merits, not because it is attached to something else.

http://www.last.fm/user/pinkfreudHC

Comment

• rbstern
      rbstern commented
      Editing a comment

That's too bad.  I wanted that boat anchor in, to help sink the whole ****************ing piece of dreck.

Im in favor of background checks and enforcement of existing laws. Nothing will prevent someone from carrying out whatever plan they can think of, so banning certain weapons wont do anything to help. 

Comment

• Caulk Rocket
      Caulk Rocket commented
      Editing a comment
      As much as I disagree with the AWB in principle, I couldn't care less. I don't see myself owning anything more than a shotgun. I may get some plinker with hi-cap mags for fun, but that's about it.

I'd rather buy guitars.

• Minning Around
      Minning Around commented
      Editing a comment

moogerfooger wrote:

Im in favor of background checks and enforcement of existing laws. Nothing will prevent someone from carrying out whatever plan they can think of, so banning certain weapons wont do anything to help. 

So you don't bellieve in market dynamics:
      The more guns there are, the cheaper they are, the easier they are to find, the more likely they are to be used.

As stated earlier, if Dems want to lose the senate because of gun control, they should proceed.

Feel good band aids that restrict the Bill of Rights, only a good idea to the left.

Comment

Quickie must be a complete wreck over this devastating news!:smileylol:

Comment

Working...
      X