Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two part question for the AR-15 advocates

1. What defensive situations do you feel can you solve with an AR-15 that you can't with a shotgun/revolver combo.

2. How likely is such a scenario?

I'll add a third:

3. If you were a nut job and you wanted to kill as many people as possible in a crowded theater or mall, what weapon would you choose? a handgun, shotgun, or an ar-15 with a hi cap mag?
    I hope we're not too messianic or a trifle too Satanic.

**************** art, buy junk.

Comment

• John Ellis
      John Ellis commented
      Editing a comment

Invisible Hand wrote:
      I'll add a third:

3. If you were a nut job and you wanted to kill as many people as possible in a crowded theater or mall, what weapon would you choose? a handgun, shotgun, or an ar-15 with a hi cap mag?

In a theatre?  a couple of 2 litre coke bottles filled with premium gas. 

I hate going to the mall.:

• Microtilt
      Microtilt commented
      Editing a comment

Invisible Hand wrote:
      I'll add a third:

There is a much more effective way to kill a theater full of people...

The BLOB, ****************!!!

Attached Files

• testuser
      testuser commented
      Editing a comment

Invisible Hand wrote:
      I'll add a third:

I'd go for a fully auto AK47, but don't quote me on that...

AR-15's are for the little people that want to think they actually have firepower.

Noreaster wrote:

1. What defensive situations do you feel can you solve with an AR-15 that you can't with a shotgun/revolver combo.

I own an AR-15 and will openly admit that I can handle anything that comes my way with a pistol or shotgun in the unlikely event that situation would arise.

Comment

Noreaster wrote:

Logical defensive situations? I am assuming focusing on home defense, since the amount of people that want to (or do)  carry in public an AR-15 for self defense is almost 0%, even with short barrel carbine versions.

1- Anything over 50 yards which would be external to the inside of a home, and where accuracy (and lessor recoil) matter.

Longer ranges than 100-200 yards, the 6.5 Grendel in the AR 15 platform would be good.
      Shorter range (and up to vehicle disablement capabilities), the BeoWulf in .50 in the AR 15 is very good.

2- Scenarios are endless. Anybody that owns more than 2 acres or so, especially down in the south west.

AR 15 is an excellent defense weapon.

Comment

Noreaster wrote:

Why do you ask?

Comment

• Noreaster
          Noreaster commented
          Editing a comment

Mr.NiceGuy wrote:

Noreaster wrote:

Why do you ask?

Curiosity, mostly.

I understand that part of the popularity is a result of military personnel returning to civilian life wanting the personal arms they own to closely approximate what they trained with.

At the same time, it's a bit of a downer that, apparently, a lot of people are convinced that a world in which teams of mutant ninjas target the average family home on a daily basis is an inevitability.

I don't "advocate" them, I defend them against being demonized as a social ill.

1. I wouldn't use an AR-15 for a defense situation. I use and recommend large caliber, autoloading pistols (.40 or .45 caliber) for skilled marksmen, and medium caliber, double action revolvers for more casual self defense shooters. To me, AR-15 rifles would be more for fun. I personally don't care for them, and have never owned one. The closest I ever came was a .30 caliber M-1 carbine.

2. The chances of a mulitple shooter (several opponents) self defense situation in your home or on your property are almost zero.

3. The most successful terrorist acts in history have all employed bombs. The worst school massacre in the U.S. involved bombs, not "assault weapons" or even guns.

Comment

• Noreaster
          Noreaster commented
          Editing a comment

dblazer wrote:

I don't "advocate" them, I defend them against being demonized as a social ill.

1. I wouldn't use an AR-15 for a defense situation. I use and recommend large caliber, autoloading pistols (.40 or .45 caliber) for skilled marksmen, and medium caliber, double action revolvers for more casual self defense shooters. To me, AR-15 rifles would be more for fun. I personally don't care for them, and have never owned one. The closest I ever came was a .30 caliber M-1 carbine.

2. The chances of a mulitple shooter (several opponents) self defense situation in your home or on your property are almost zero.

3. The most successful terrorist acts in history have all employed bombs. The worst school massacre in the U.S. involved bombs, not "assault weapons" or even guns.

We don't particulary like each other, but I can say I find you logical and reasonable. As a consequence, i value your input on such issues as firearms more than most other posters.

Admittedly, i ****************ing love guns. I grew up with them, I find them fascinating and they turn ruffed grouse into food far more efficiently than a handful of rocks.

Still, I beleive that guns don't belong in the hands of everyone. In Maine, an 18-yo-old high school kid can buy one with no oversight. Having taught 18 year old kids, I can attest to the fat that such a situation is a horrible idea. I hope we can both agree that completely unmitigated gun rights may not be a great idea.

So, in my Makers Mark induced, less than articulate state, (it was a good week) I'd be interested to know what non-abnsolutists gun owners such as yourself think are acceptable measures to keep guns out of the hands of morons.

I have no problem with you wielding an AR-15 and Glock-17 because, even though I'm not a fan of  the baby boom generation as a whole, I know you're  a competent non-psychopath. I can't say the sam for some of the 18-year-olds I've taught.

Noreaster wrote:

1.  I don't know, since I've never been in that situation and don't own a shotgun or AR-15.

2.  I don't know.  Any situation where you have to defend yourself with a gun is rare.

A better question might be "What scenario is there where a shotgun or any handgun is a better choice of weapon than an AR-15?"

If a shotgun and revolver were the best weapons for a person to defend themselves with, all the militaries of the world and SWAT teams, etc. would use them primariy.  They don't do that because those weapons are more difficult to fire quickly and accurately.  That's why they use AR-15's and MP5's.

I guess hypothetically answering the first question, I would say that in any situation where a person would face multiple armed assailants, a weapon that potentially forces the person to reload is unacceptable.

Stay above this line.

Good Trades with: recovery, sumphead, here2trade, Hodder, JoshuaTSP, justinhedrick, Foorever, xstraightedgesh, bendedavis, hvymtl939, DracoAran, pinto79, itkindaworks, torgeot, Coverdale, guitarded84, schaeffy (x2), King CAD, Dash4814, guitarsignals, Mike Fiasco, divadc, teleman (x2), ecdrevolution, tomh777, bluesthug, fxloop, bluesrock70's, Chevyman95, Suit & Tie Guy, theepicproblem, filster2, rll, aehoff, nbabmf, shooto, Viper Jazz, api4u, FenderP, KingdomGuitar

Comment

I can say landowners along the border prefer military style semi-autos for self-defense becuase that's what their likely opponents carry.

I didn't buy mine for self-defense, it's primarily a ranch rifle.

Comment

Noreaster wrote:

1. Solve it?  Maybe not, but allows one to be better prepared for illegal, violent action by armed agents of government carrying...AR-15s.

2. In my lifetime: Unlikely.  In the future history of our nation: Innevitable.

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Comment

Can we please talk less about the environment and more about these...

CM-10.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant

*I'm not a fan of the AR-15.

Noreaster wrote:

Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Comment

• buckethead99
                buckethead99 commented
                Editing a comment

GTRMAN wrote:

1. Irrelevant

2. Irrelevant

*I'm not a fan of the AR-15.

Noreaster wrote:

Thanks for putting the thread back on course..

Funny how they drift off.

Noreaster wrote:

Think of it like life insurance for fathers of young families: It'c cheap and you probably won't need it. But it sure comes in handy when your family DOES need it. And it's irresponsible not to have it.

Comment

Noreaster wrote:

In a panic situation, people tend to miss. And there is a very real value to intimidation. Most of the time a gun is used in self defense, it is never fired. It intimidates the perp into fleeing. An AR-15 has high intimidation value. That doesn't just matter. It's a key component of using a gun for self defense.

Not that it will fit in your purse.

Comment

One significant advantage a shotgun has over a rifle is that misses don't fly across the street and kill your neighbor.

"Let us not ignore the truth among ourselves, that we are the aggressors and they defend themselves. The country is theirs, because they inhabit it, whereas we want to come here and settle down."David Ben-Gurion (the father of Israel) http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...xt=va&aid=4715

Comment

Who is Hank Parker?

Comment

Working...
                    X