A Point To Ponder...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Point To Ponder...

Carl Sagan On Science, Politics And Religion

...And thus one genius ruins politics and religion in five sentences.

Interesting observations. That last sentence is the most is the most disturbing one because most wars have been the result of disagreements over politics and/or religion. 

Attached Files

Faith also needs to evolve. Try selling that to the fundies, though.

"I don't see how the fat lady with the dog fits in." Stonedtone

"I usually know whats going to come out well. Im usually right." Davo17

"Don't make me spell bitch on your ass with a backwards B." moonlight

"He believes that when you've worked hard, and done well, and walked through that doorway of opportunity, you do not slam it shut behind you. You reach back, and you give other folks the same chances that helped you succeed."

Comment

Actually, Sagan was mistaken.

It does happen, but it is a demonized behavior that is quickly distorted and rarely evaluated on merits rather than political calcuation. 

Case in point, two politicians recently changed their minds on gay marriage. 

Major issue.  Publicly stated reversal of position by both men.

1. President Obama

2. Senator Portman

The result?

More poltiics.

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Comment

• testuser
        testuser commented
        Editing a comment

rbstern wrote:

It does happen, but it is a demonized behavior that is quickly distorted and rarely evaluated on merits rather than political calcuation. 

1. President Obama

2. Senator Portman

The result?

More poltiics.

And Reagan went from Democrat to Republican. I've changed some of my views regarding both politics and religion. For starters, I went from not being a Christian to being a Christian. I also changed many of my positions on some of the specifics taught within the Christian community.

IOW, Sagan was either disengenuous or ignorant in making that statement. If he was still alive today, I wonder if he would admit he was wrong.

• coyote-1
        coyote-1 commented
        Editing a comment

rbstern wrote:

1. President Obama

2. Senator Portman

The result?

More poltiics. 

Add a third: Bill Clinton.

All were welcomed to the Enlightenment. Nonetheless, their motives for so doing do bear scrutiny, along with their previous policy statements on the issue. To wit:

Bill Clinton did try to advance the gay rights agenda by proposing they be allowed to serve openly in the military. He compromised on DADT.

Obama? Here's his 11/2/2008 statement: "I

• kissmyace
        kissmyace commented
        Editing a comment

rbstern wrote:

1. President Obama

2. Senator Portman

The result?

More poltiics.

sometimes it depends on the reason for changing your mind -- here- one for votes, one for a family member's coming out. but yeah, its politics, too  one flip flops the other evolves Which is which ??

... and coyote manages to make this a partisan thread...

Comment

The Badger wrote:

Interesting observations. That last sentence is the most is the most disturbing one because most wars have been the result of disagreements over politics and/or religion. 

If you believe this, i expect you to advocate for the end of the head start program.   See here.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/The-Political-Party/Education-Philosophy/m-p/34827414#U34827414

Attached Files

Comment

• Caulk Rocket
          Caulk Rocket commented
          Editing a comment
          "Rick Santorum is a ****************ing retard." - Carl Sagan

• The Badger
          The Badger commented
          Editing a comment

Davo17 wrote:

The Badger wrote:

If you believe this, i expect you to advocate for the end of the head start program.   See here.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/The-Political-Party/Education-Philosophy/m-p/34827414#U34827414

What the hell are you talking about? 

I have never "advocated the end of the Head Start program." Please stop telling me what I think, especially when you're dead wrong about it. The link you've posted contains 71 posts, many of which go against you. 

And I stand by that last sentence, where Sagain says, "I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." I could cite many reasons, but your own words are as good an example of what Sagan said as any other. You keep trolling this forum with nonsense, and when someone contradicts that nonsense with proof and cites his or her sources, I have never seen  you change your mind. You just call them names, throw insults and carry on as if you were the only fount of knowledge in the universe. 

To quote Alexander Pope's "Essay on Criticism":

Alexander Pope Wrote:

A Little Learning

by Alexander Pope

A little learning is a dangerous thing ;
          Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring :
          There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
          And drinking largely sobers us again.
          Fired at first sight with what the Muse imparts,
          In fearless youth we tempt the heights of Arts ;
          While from the bounded level of our mind
          Short views we take, nor see the lengths behind,
          But, more advanced, behold with strange surprise
          New distant scenes of endless science rise!
          So pleased at first the towering Alps we try,
          Mount o
          Attached Files

The Badger wrote:

Sagan prefaces his own opinion though insinuation in the first sentence.  Sometimes rhetoric is simply rhetoric, regardless of how 'brilliant' the source may seem (or may actually BE on other subjects).

Attached Files
        gp

''For thousands more years the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across—which happened to be the Earth—where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.''

The above is not to be taken too seriously.

Comment

Working...
        X