No announcement yet.

Professor makes students stomp on Jesus

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Professor makes students stomp on Jesus

A Florida Atlantic University student said he was punished after he refused a professor

Disclaimer: My threads and posts are created to allow forum members to discuss interesting subject matter.

I reserve the right to change my decisions at anytime.

Visconti wrote:

A Florida Atlantic University student said he was punished after he refused a professor

Comment

• yumpy
      yumpy commented
      Editing a comment

larry50 wrote:

We get it maggot.  You're a bigot who hates Muslims.

Now go away like you promised, you wimpy welcher. 

and u are a lawyer?

lol!! 

Geat Prof! Fck the little bastard who usurps education and authority ion the name of religion, which isnt alowed.

I'll stomp on Jesus' name, or anyones name , my mother, my my father or me, if its part of the instructitive curriculim.

Comment

• dblazer
      dblazer commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn't there a brain in your head? did you READ what it says?

Tempest in a teapot. More Christian self-martyrdom.

• yumpy
      yumpy commented
      Editing a comment

Balthazar Munoz wrote:

Geat Prof! Fck the little bastard who usurps education and authority ion the name of religion, which isnt alowed.

I'll stomp on Jesus' name, or anyones name , my mother, my my father or me, if its part of the instructitive curriculim.

u bout stupid too.

My wife has two young cousins who are devout Xians. They attend university... they complain that the college is not supportive of their beliefs. When you ask a few questions, you get this:

Is there a chapel there for you? Yes

Do people prevent you from attending that chapel? No

What then is the issue?

1. not everyone there believes what we believe

2. we get taught things that aren't in agreement with our beliefs

Then why not attend a Christian university?

We want the opportunities that come from where we attend now

It does not occur to them that the very openness of thought at their university is what creates the opportunities they seek. That if everyone was completely in agreement with their beliefs and they were never taught anything that contradicted those beliefs, the opportunities would vanish.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

• moonlightin
      moonlightin commented
      Editing a comment

coyote-1 wrote:

My wife has two young cousins who are devout Xians. They attend university... they complain that the college is not supportive of their beliefs. When you ask a few questions, you get this:

Is there a chapel there for you? Yes

Do people prevent you from attending that chapel? No

What then is the issue?

1. not everyone there believes what we believe

2. we get taught things that aren't in agreement with our beliefs

Then why not attend a Christian university?

We want the opportunities that come from where we attend now

It does not occur to them that the very openness of thought at their university is what creates the opportunities they seek. That if everyone was completely in agreement with their beliefs and they were never taught anything that contradicted those beliefs, the opportunities would vanish.

That's not exactly what this is about.

Visconti wrote:

Why doesn't this son of a bitch do this to Prophet Muhammad?

Oh that's right, the stupid wimp professor won't have students stomp on Prophet Muhammad because he thinks a radical Muslim will throw acid in his face or slash his throat when he's walking across the street.

He was teaching a lesson on the importance of symbols in culture.  In the United States, a country that is 3/4 Christian, Jesus is an important symbol.  Mohammed, not so much. 

Comment

• moonlightin
      moonlightin commented
      Editing a comment

mdwagner73 wrote:

Visconti wrote:

Oh that's right, the stupid wimp professor won't have students stomp on Prophet Muhammad because he thinks a radical Muslim will throw acid in his face or slash his throat when he's walking across the street.

He was teaching a lesson on the importance of symbols in culture.  In the United States, a country that is 3/4 Christian, Jesus is an important symbol.  Mohammed, not so much. 

And it's probably a useful lesson but the way he went about it, and the institutions reaction, is all wrong.

• coyote-1
      coyote-1 commented
      Editing a comment

mdwagner73 wrote:

There are actually a slew of lessons there, for those willing to think about it. You know, rather than get all dogmatic.

But one of the lessons the class learned, courtesy of that student, is that dogma is inflexible.

• Edward
      Edward commented
      Editing a comment

mdwagner73 wrote:

Visconti wrote:

Quite. Also, you'd think people who like to be the first to bang on about how much more tolerant they are than *those* *Muslims* would see it as a positive that they can be used as an example like this....

Personally, when I teach the law on hate speech, my first resort is to use Christianity and criticism of it in examples for the simple reason that I am saying things about my own faith group. If my Muslim students wish to make hyptothetical attacks on their own faith for the purposes of discussion, they are welcome so to do. Generally they are very open, tolerant, and thoughtful kids who are really good at grasping the subtleties of the various arguments for and againt - the more devout they are, the more ready they are to consider the opposing viewpoint and deal with it articulately and without emotive nonsense. 

None of us were there or know exactly how it went down. The professor could have been an ass. Equally, the student might have been one of those arrogant people who cannot brook the thought of another holding an opinion or belief that conflicts with his own. We don't know. For my money, IF the situation happened exatly as noted in the article, the student concerned's reluctance to comply with the instruction is exactly the reaction the exercise relies on to stimulate the discussion it seeks. In that case it is not the exercise which is at fault, but an apparent failure to apply it properly. Of course, we don't know how that student expressed his objection. It is entirely plausible the censure he faced was for the manner in which he expressed dissent rather than the fact he dissented. Of course, if you have a victim complex and wish to perpetuate a partisan slant on this, that's not information you will particularly require. 

It's absurd that this sort of disrespect towards people is tolerated and often encouraged in our society. The prof and exercise is every bit as disrespectful as what Fred Phelps church does.
    Information is not knowledge
    Knowledge is not wisdom
    Wisdom is not truth
    Truth is not beauty
    Beauty is not love
    Love is not music.
    Music Is The Best.

- Frank Zappa

Comment

• moonlightin
      moonlightin commented
      Editing a comment

photon9 wrote:
      It's absurd that this sort of disrespect towards people is tolerated and often encouraged in our society. The prof and exercise is every bit as disrespectful as what Fred Phelps church does.

Bingo!

• burningsg
      burningsg commented
      Editing a comment

Another hateful liberal piece of ****************....  nothing new. And of course the usual hcpp liberal ****************stains jump in to attack.

That professor needs to be kicked in the nuts!" id="smiley" src="https://guitarcenter.i.lithium.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-.png" alt=":smiley:" title="Smiley Very Happy" />

Roll Tide!!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X