No announcement yet.

Best Bang For the Buck Low Watt Amp

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Bang For the Buck Low Watt Amp

I'm going to vote for the China VHT http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V5WI24/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=28162410715&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&h vrand=9256382811187706678&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b& ref=pd_sl_7wbv9xe4hv_b

I picked up a head version for $125 shipped! It's a cool little monter tone, cheap amp. PTP all tube wiring made by people making $1.27 an hour.

What's ya got?

Stonedtone wrote:

What's ya got?

my stuff

Attached Files
    Roll Tide!!!!!

Comment

• Stonedtone
      Stonedtone commented
      Editing a comment

Hoddy wrote:

Stonedtone wrote:

What's ya got?

my stuff

I'm not a Marshall guy, at all, but always loved yours. The 1974 and BB would be the only Marshall I'd want

Attached Files

Generally, you get what you pay for. I'm tired of cheap gear. It just takes up space.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Faith ruled the Dark Ages."

Comment

• AxiomVanguard
      AxiomVanguard commented
      Editing a comment

Minning Around wrote:

Generally, you get what you pay for. I'm tired of cheap gear. It just takes up space.

+1....

• Stonedtone
      Stonedtone commented
      Editing a comment

Minning Around wrote:

I found a Modded w/speaker upgrade (Celest ann)  Carvin Vintage 16 for $350 a few years ago. That's a cheap amp, but without question the best deal I've ever found. The little 1X12 16W combo does everything. It sounds great at low vol, but I've never had an issue keeping up in many tries

POD

Comment

Lol @ Tim freaking out

Comment

I had the aw16 as well. It was a good unit and I regretted selling it too. While I get much better recordings using my Mac I find that I spend more time staring at a screen which sucks the creativity out of me pretty quickly.
        "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

Because people are now showing off their work I went through upteen pages in the DIY section and found the AC4TV project that I did some time ago.  I did the work much earlier than I had thought.

At any rate, here is the project page for the ACTV4:
          http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/DIY-Do-It-Yourself/Theory-reality-check-AC4TV/m-p/29662301#U29662301

This is the schematic for that project at the time I completed the project and moved to experimenting with changing the output EL-84 to a 6L6.  Generally the red sections indicate altered values, changed components, or altered voltages depending on where used.

AC4TV schematic

This is the thread where I experimented with changing the output tube to a 6L6.  As previously stated, I was unable to operate the 6L6 in starvation mode.  The schematic shows how much work there would have been to change the power transformer:
          http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/DIY-Do-It-Yourself/Wild-hair-Ac4tv-10-content/m-p/32723454#U32723454

If the schematic looks familiar, the general format is used in the AC4, Champ, and V8.  There are probably several other amplifiers that use the same general layout.

The speaker that went into the amp:

Speaker

All of the work was done without resorting to the common hype of changing to this transformer or that widget.  Just plain ol' engineering.  The output transformer in the AC4 can easily handle 15 watts, and the power transformer is adequate for a 15 watt amplifier.

Attached Files

Comment

I like my Fender PJ.

Comment

• sirfun
              sirfun commented
              Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
              I like my Fender PJ.

+1

Blackstar HT1 or HT5 !!!

http://www.blackstaramps.com/

Change Liberals can believe in...Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country can do for you.

Comment

Working...
            X