Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christian obsession with the Cross?

One thing I never understood about christianity, even when I was a christian, was the obsession with the cross. Why are they so attached to that symbol of ancient torture? Why do they revere it so much. Can't they find other symbols which would better illustrate the message of their so-called messiah? I personally find the display of such brutality appalling. 

Non fui. Fui. Non sum. Non curo.

Bored today?

Comment

• GTRMAN
      GTRMAN commented
      Editing a comment

Nope. It's an honest question. Why do they hold such an abhorrent thing as the cross as sacred?  I can't make sense of it.

mauser wrote:
      Bored today?

Sounds like a good start for another thread bashing Christians for being ____________.

Comment

• GTRMAN
      GTRMAN commented
      Editing a comment

I've done no bashing od anyone in this thread. My question is sincere and I'm trying to be fair to everyone. However, thus far I have been the one people are bashing.

mauser wrote:
      Sounds like a good start for another thread bashing Christians for being ____________.

GTRMAN wrote:

Can't they find other symbols which would better illustrate the message of their so-called messiah?

I can't think of a better symbol than the thing he got nailed to for his beliefs

Lighten up, it's their logo. Like that star thing the Jews have...

"I used to be into dope, now I'm into racism. It's much heavier, man" - Clapton

Comment

• GTRMAN
      GTRMAN commented
      Editing a comment

So they symbolise his sacrifice with the means of his death... wouldn't that be like memorializing the teachers/administrators at Sandy Hook with an AR-15? How would that go over?

Zeopold wrote:

GTRMAN wrote:

Can't they find other symbols which would better illustrate the message of their so-called messiah?

I can't think of a better symbol than the thing he got nailed to for his beliefs

Lighten up, it's their logo. Like that star thing the Jews have...

GTRMAN wrote:

One thing I never understood about christianity, even when I was a christian, was the obsession with the cross. Why are they so attached to that symbol of ancient torture? Why do they revere it so much. Can't they find other symbols which would better illustrate the message of their so-called messiah? I personally find the display of such brutality appalling. 

What are you? You a fag?  Shut your ****************ing hole. Have some respect.

Comment

• Hoppy Shimko
      Hoppy Shimko commented
      Editing a comment

omni wrote:

GTRMAN wrote:

What are you? You a fag?  Shut your ****************ing hole. Have some respect.

reported

• moogerfooger
      moogerfooger commented
      Editing a comment

omni wrote:

GTRMAN wrote:

respect it earned not demanded. 

Well, I guess lemme get in on this before it gets really dumb(er). The cross's primary significance is as a form of legal execution. I think I once saw someone here eager to get in on the anti-Christian bandwagon quip that Christians should be wearing little electric chairs around their necks. Kind of a broken clock moment that. Exactly right. It is not that it is a symbol of death, but that it is a symbol of the death of a justly condemned criminal. The wages of sin is death. Death is separation from God. And this is nature of Jesus' suffering on the cross, not physical pain. For a Christian, to contemplate the cross is to realize the impossible reality of a certain forgiveness.

While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

Comment

• moogerfooger
      moogerfooger commented
      Editing a comment

Opposite Day wrote:

Well, I guess lemme get in on this before it gets really dumb(er). The cross's primary significance is as a form of legal execution. I think I once saw someone here eager to get in on the anti-Christian bandwagon quip that Christians should be wearing little electric chairs around their necks. Kind of a broken clock moment that. Exactly right. It is not that it is a symbol of death, but that it is a symbol of the death of a justly condemned criminal. The wages of sin is death. Death is separation from God. And this is nature of Jesus' suffering on the cross, not physical pain. For a Christian, to contemplate the cross is to realize the impossible reality of a certain forgiveness.

Gibberish. Christians always resort to gibberish when trying to explain the unexplainable. 

"to contemplate the cross is to realize the impossible reality of a certain forgiveness

WTF. 

GTRMAN wrote:

How on earth could you be a christian and not be taught the cross?  There must be some pretty out-there churches out there.  It is the axis of all reality in the christian religion.

Indeed, it IS appalling, appalling that people like you and I could hate a good man with such intensity.  We're all haters, and godhaters, at least at some point in our lives. The whole human race stands indicted on that hill.  But because the one that took it all is now also a man for all eternity, redemption is offered to any human willing to be 'in Christ'.

Comment

• chuckgp
      chuckgp commented
      Editing a comment

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

GTRMAN wrote:

How on earth could you be a christian and not be taught the cross?  There must be some pretty out-there churches out there.  It is the axis of all reality in the christian religion.

Indeed, it IS appalling, appalling that people like you and I could hate a good man with such intensity.  We're all haters, and godhaters, at least at some point in our lives. The whole human race stands indicted on that hill.  But because the one that took it all is now also a man for all eternity, redemption is offered to any human willing to be 'in Christ'.

full o' ****************e

• GTRMAN
      GTRMAN commented
      Editing a comment

Your premise is flawed as:

1. I do not hate anyone

2. I do not believe Jesus was a god-man.

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

GTRMAN wrote:

• Hoppy Shimko
      Hoppy Shimko commented
      Editing a comment

Used2BMarkoh wrote:

GTRMAN wrote:

You would do well to speak for yourself. I have never hated any "good man". I can barely muster hate for "bad men". I don't believe in hate.

Appalled at seeing a cross? Really? You can't be any more appalled than I am when I see someone who still has an Obama bumper sticker on their car.

Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.

Comment

• TubeAddict
      TubeAddict commented
      Editing a comment

gmoulder wrote:

Appalled at seeing a cross? Really? You can't be any more appalled than I am when I see someone who still has an Obama bumper sticker on their car.

If I had a car, I would put an Obama bumper sticker on it.

• Used2BMarkoh
      Used2BMarkoh commented
      Editing a comment

gmoulder wrote:

Probably trying to hold the thing together, now that they realize Obama isn't actually going to give them a new electric car.

GTRMAN wrote:

It's sort of like your obsession with baiting posters I guess.

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
    ―J.S.B. Morse

Comment

Markoh:
      Ok, that could be rude, sorry. I just mean, if you don't like the way I talk, we're not going to be friends in real life any more than we are here.
      ------------------
      I appreciate the way you talk. It's a concrete reminder of how even seemingly smart people can be duped by religion and miss the point of the message of their mythology all together..
      Information is not knowledge
      Knowledge is not wisdom
      Wisdom is not truth
      Truth is not beauty
      Beauty is not love
      Love is not music.
      Music Is The Best.

- Frank Zappa

Comment

I thought it was a symbol of Christ's sacrifice and our redemption as well as the intersection of eternity (vertical beam) with the temporal plane (horizontal beam) represented by Christ's incarnation. 

Comment

• Microtilt
          Microtilt commented
          Editing a comment

Zig al-din wrote:

I thought it was a symbol of Christ's sacrifice and our redemption as well as the intersection of eternity (vertical beam) with the temporal plane (horizontal beam) represented by Christ's incarnation. 

That's pretty deep.  I always thought a cross was just an artificial tree used as an execution device.  Does it have symbolism that predates Christ's death?

Gtrman: Sorry....but I don't believe you.

Not that it really matters.

Comment

Working...
        X