Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Homophobia as bad as Racism?

I mean, you are condemning someone for something they have no control over... Maybe we (institutions) should start punishing and firing people for being opposed to LGBT equality, when there is virtually no tolerance to those who believe in the return of Jim Crow.

Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky

Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

yes

Comment

• Caulk Rocket
      Caulk Rocket commented
      Editing a comment
      What makes either bad? They're only opinions.

Actively discriminating against people is the real evil.

• Faldoe
      Faldoe commented
      Editing a comment

Hoddy wrote:

yes

this

radomu wrote:

I mean, you are condemning someone for something they have no control over... Maybe we (institutions) should start punishing and firing people for being opposed to LGBT equality, when there is virtually no tolerance to those who believe in the return of Jim Crow.

Well in the past in the west,the punishment for being gay were certainly more severe, not sure if this might not still  be the case in other parts of the world.  Worse perhaps not - as bad as definitely

Phil

Founding member of Harmony Unacoustic Activities Committee

Comment

• testuser
      testuser commented
      Editing a comment

fatback wrote:

radomu wrote:

Well in the past in the west,the punishment for being gay were certainly more severe, not sure if this might not still  be the case in other parts of the world.  Worse perhaps not - as bad as definitely

Phil

There is interesting stuff going on in France right now regarding this issue. The "homophobes" are a little more in your face about it over there.

radomu wrote:

Should this make a difference?   I mean if the homosexual could choose would it then be ok to discriminate?

Phil

Founding member of Harmony Unacoustic Activities Committee

Comment

• testuser
      testuser commented
      Editing a comment

fatback wrote:

radomu wrote:

Should this make a difference?   I mean if the homosexual could choose would it then be ok to discriminate?

Phil

Personally, I think it is ok, regardless, though I do not believe in condemning people, but their actions. The US protects our freedom to choose who we associate with. And we choose those with whom we associate for all sorts of reasons. This would be one of them for many people.

Dislike towards others on account of superficial or inconsequential differences is a common trait among idiots and losers.
    Stumblin' thru da ghost town.....

Comment

• testuser
      testuser commented
      Editing a comment

DesertDirtDog wrote:
      Dislike towards others on account of superficial or inconsequential differences is a common trait among idiots and losers.

Actually, it is a common trait among human beings to one degree or another.

radomu wrote:

Which institution are you?

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Comment

Who cares? If you can visualise Al Sharpton blowing Buckwheat without getting uptight about it you're in the clear 

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
        Daryl Flynn commented
        Editing a comment

Zeopold wrote:

Who cares? If you can visualise Al Sharpton blowing Buckwheat without getting uptight about it you're in the clear 

I have some bad news for you

radomu wrote:

I mean, you are condemning someone for something they have no control over...

You're opening premise is wrong.  There are innumerable sexual attractions / turn-ons in the world of human sexuality.  Why some people insist on treating same-gender sexual attraction as something somehow special and different from other sexual attractions is the height of limited thinking.

Truth and falsehood were bathing. Falsehood came first out of the water and dressed in Truth's garments. Truth, unwilling to take those of falsehood, went naked.

Comment

• Ed
        Ed commented
        Editing a comment

Big0range wrote:

radomu wrote:

You're opening premise is wrong.  There are innumerable sexual attractions / turn-ons in the world of human sexuality.  Why some people insist on treating same-gender sexual attraction as something somehow special and different from other sexual attractions is the height of limited thinking.

But that is all they have to go on. I believe the current argument up for the supreme court is that same-sex marriage is about equality under the law. Yet, there are tons of ways that the law discriminates against people. If anything else, look at the left demanding that the rich be treated differently under tax law.

But they were never really about being equal. They are about having their own way, and it is not going to go well in the SCOTUS for them.

• radomu
        radomu commented
        Editing a comment

Big0range wrote:

radomu wrote:

It isn't, that's the point no? You don't have hetrosexuals being condemned for having a boner for the opposite sex.

• Sloppy Santa
        Sloppy Santa commented
        Editing a comment

Big0range wrote:

There are innumerable sexual attractions / turn-ons in the world of human sexuality.  Why some people insist on treating same-gender sexual attraction as something somehow special and different from other sexual attractions is the height of limited thinking.

So you are saying that a woman being sexually attracted to goats is the same as a man being sexually attracted to another man?

The stupidity of Shane is amazing. He doesn't even pretend to make sound arguments.

Originally Posted by Noam Chomsky

Whenever you hear anything said very confidently, the first thing that should come to mind is, wait a minute is that true?

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
        Daryl Flynn commented
        Editing a comment

radomu wrote:

The stupidity of Shane is amazing. He doesn't even pretend to make sound arguments.

As soon as the first ad hominem comes I know I'm winning.

• Edward
        Edward commented
        Editing a comment

radomu wrote:

Soujd arguments wouldn't wind you up. Shane is a troll. If no-one reacted to his nonsense, he'd disappear. 

radomu wrote:

For starters, "homophobia" is an interesting word. Normally, a word ending in "phobia" is defined as a fear of something. But look this one up in pretty much any dictionary. It is much broader in meaning. I would have to know what kind of homophobia you are referring to to answer the question intelligently.

Comment

Sorry.... Most.

Comment

Working...
        X