Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone play violent video games?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone play violent video games?

     

     

    EDIT: All the points from my fellow forumites have debunked my idea. Good points guys.

    Anyone here play modern violent games like Call of Duty Black Ops? The only games i ever play are Super Mario Kart Wii and Star Wars PC games from the early 2000s, but this weekend, I tried playing Black Ops on a PS3 at my friend's place, and holy **************** it is realistic. Seeing the stories about the kids shooting people this morning, I felt like the proliferation of REALISTIC violent games and violence on TV is much more the problem than the availability of guns... People had big gun collections in the 80s, but kids never had the visual experience of holding a real-looking weapon in a perfectly real-looking environment and then shooting and killing someone in that environment. And with these games, if you die or your friend dies, you just come back to life.

    I think it's rather ****************ed up that the people calling for gun control aren't throwing a fit about the availability of such violent experiences for fun in video games and movies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but back closer to December, there were more people on the "right" concerned about this while many many on the left just wrote it off and called for gun control. I think that's really ****************ed up.

    These kinds of realistic-yet-virtual visuals and experiences are BRAND NEW to humanity. In the 80s and 90s, when 8-bit and even 64-bit looked very different from the real world, it would be clear to a kid's developing brain that it was totally unlike reality. But when a four-year-old kid whose brain is still learning what reality is like can watch his parents and siblings grab a gun, shoot people, get shot, and come back to life in what looks like the real world, we should probably be concerned about it. We shouldn't write it off. I suppose if congress tried to do something they would be stepping on the 1st ammendment instead of the 2nd, but the people can do something. Boycott these ****************ing games. Play sports games! Play Star Wars! Play fantasy games etc. Let the market squelch this ****************.

    Whaddayathink?

    My band!:
    www.steelphantoms.com/
    my stage stuff:
    fender jimmie vaughan strat, korg dt-10, ts-9, keeley rat, thoroughly modded big muff, 4ms tremulus lune, eventide timefactor running stereo to a traynor bassmaster (w hotplate) and a fender HRD. Everything ('cept the TimeFactor and dt-10) is modded, with much help from folks at Harmony Central. Thanks everybody!

  • #2
    I have played grand theft auto, which is fairly violent.

    And yes, you are talking about the first amendment. Sorry, but that isnt getting amended anytime soon.

    Comment


  • #3

    Crackdown. It's an adrenalin rush. You're an agent taking out zombies, mafia, and gang members. You also drive into those same factors.  If you take out cops or innocent people... the game turns on you.

    Comment


    • John Ellis
      John Ellis commented
      Editing a comment

       Angry Birds

      It makes it easier to butcher one of my pigs when it's time.......cry


  • #4
    I make violent video games for a living, meaning I am the antichrist or something.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    {www.dronecloud.org}
    {www.soniccrayonfx.com}

    Comment


    • yumpy
      yumpy commented
      Editing a comment

      tomb raider and duke nuke'em.

       


    • arcadesonfire
      arcadesonfire commented
      Editing a comment

      tape wrote:
      I make violent video games for a living, meaning I am the antichrist or something.

      I know plenty of excellent people who are good friends of mine and serve their communities well. My first college roommate, who sang and played rhythm guitar in my college jam band, has a career as a game tester. He studied german, lit, and a little comp sci, and now he's got his dream job and i'm really happy for him. So i ain't sayin anything like "people who play games are bad"... even though it probably sounded like it when i called the games "****************." Sorry bout that.

      But, i'm interested to hear if your thoughts on my idea that the realness of the games might possibly have a bad effect on kids who see them and play them during their developing years? Not all kids are going to go grabbing a gun of course, but do you think there might still be some kind of effect that can have real bad consequences in some cases?

      If such an effect exists with games like these, nobody would know yet. Games have only been like this for a few years.


  • #5

    I think that a lot of parents are in denial about their kids mental state.

    Phil SaidIf you possess the superior intellect, then it should be no problem for you to point out the logical fallacies and other problems of their position or post without having to debase yourself by resorting to ad hominem attacks.

    Comment


    • Red Ant
      Red Ant commented
      Editing a comment
      I shoot virtual online pilots out of the virtual sky with a 20mm cannon, does that count?

    • HKSblade2
      HKSblade2 commented
      Editing a comment

      John Ellis wrote:

      I think that a lot of parents are in denial about their kids mental state.


      And others are being told to freak out if their kid positions his fingers in a gun shape, or eats toast and makes an L shape. ZOMG call the doc quick! That's a gun! my kid is f'd up!

      Most of this **************** going around is beyond absurd.

      We played Army as kids. Were all over the neighborhoods, had what looked like real rifles and hand guns. Never hurt anyone, never aspired to buy guns and blow **************** up with grenades.

      Games, Toys, books, movies, action figures. It's not those things that f'ck people up and make them do horrible things. Many more times there are just people with loose screws and anything can set them off one day. No matter what is banned, controlled or regulated.


  • #6
    Arcades: I think you should play whatever games you want to play and let other folks do the same.

    Comment


    • Bowe
      Bowe commented
      Editing a comment
      I only play golf games

      keep getting arrested for breaking onto golf courses though

  • #7

    I will still play a good  D&D action adventure rpg if there's any out there. Games like Dragon's Dogma I like. Games like Manhunt no.

     

    Don't think censoring will help much but some games go over the top. We do glorify violence.

    Comment


    • #8
      Pong ftw
      I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

      Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

      What happens up north, stays up north

      Comment


    • #9

      arcadesonfire wrote:

      Anyone here play modern violent games like Call of Duty Black Ops? The only games i ever play are Super Mario Kart Wii and Star Wars PC games from the early 2000s, but this weekend, I tried playing Black Ops on a PS3 at my friend's place, and holy **************** it is realistic. Seeing the stories about the kids shooting people this morning, I felt like the proliferation of REALISTIC violent games and violence on TV is much more the problem than the availability of guns... People had big gun collections in the 80s, but kids never had the visual experience of holding a real-looking weapon in a perfectly real-looking environment and then shooting and killing someone in that environment. And with these games, if you die or your friend dies, you just come back to life.

      I think it's rather ****************ed up that the people calling for gun control aren't throwing a fit about the availability of such violent experiences for fun in video games and movies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but back closer to December, there were more people on the "right" concerned about this while many many on the left just wrote it off and called for gun control. I think that's really ****************ed up.

      These kinds of realistic-yet-virtual visuals and experiences are BRAND NEW to humanity. In the 80s and 90s, when 8-bit and even 64-bit looked very different from the real world, it would be clear to a kid's developing brain that it was totally unlike reality. But when a four-year-old kid whose brain is still learning what reality is like can watch his parents and siblings grab a gun, shoot people, get shot, and come back to life in what looks like the real world, we should probably be concerned about it. We shouldn't write it off. I suppose if congress tried to do something they would be stepping on the 1st ammendment instead of the 2nd, but the people can do something. Boycott these ****************ing games. Play sports games! Play Star Wars! Play fantasy games etc. Let the market squelch this ****************.

      Whaddayathink?


      I think the fact that gun violence has not been rising indicates that the proliferation of realistic violence in video games and on television are not the cause of real world gun violence. 

      If a kid's parents are irresponsible enough to let a 4 year old play or watch them play such violent games, I doubt that eliminating the games would do much to fix the situation.

      Comment


      • Caulk Rocket
        Caulk Rocket commented
        Editing a comment
        Before Black Sabbath and Judas Priest, kids didn't listen to devil music and kill themselves.

    • #10

      I've never even tried a video game. What's the point?

      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      "Faith ruled the dark ages."

      Comment


      • slodge
        slodge commented
        Editing a comment

         


        Minning Around wrote:

        I've never even tried a video game. What's the point?


        Entertainment?

        Substitute the word "TV show" or "Movie" or "Album" or "Book" or even "Reading and Posting on Political Internet Forums" and maybe you'll see why your statement caused my eyes to roll.


      • chuckgp
        chuckgp commented
        Editing a comment

        Minning Around wrote:

        I've never even tried a video game. What's the point?


        this weird thing called 'having fun'


    • #11
      I don't play video games. There's not much to them, besides shooting people and blowing things up.

      Comment


      • cdawg
        cdawg commented
        Editing a comment

        The Badger wrote:
        I don't play video games. There's not much to them, besides shooting people and blowing things up.

        you say that b/c you've never played them.  

        good games actually make you think, promoting problem solving and challenge you to be rational.  sure, there are "run and gun" games, but there are action movies, too.  point is, some games actually make you think.


    • #12
      This argument is like saying "watching porn makes me want to.... "



      Lemme think of something else
      I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

      Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

      What happens up north, stays up north

      Comment


      • #13

        the studies I've read have been fairly consitent on showing no credible link between violence and playing violent video games

        Recipient of the HCAF Nobel Piece Prize

        Comment


        • #14

          arcadesonfire wrote:

           

           

          EDIT: All the points from my fellow forumites have debunked my idea. Good points guys.

          Anyone here play modern violent games like Call of Duty Black Ops? The only games i ever play are Super Mario Kart Wii and Star Wars PC games from the early 2000s, but this weekend, I tried playing Black Ops on a PS3 at my friend's place, and holy **************** it is realistic. Seeing the stories about the kids shooting people this morning, I felt like the proliferation of REALISTIC violent games and violence on TV is much more the problem than the availability of guns... People had big gun collections in the 80s, but kids never had the visual experience of holding a real-looking weapon in a perfectly real-looking environment and then shooting and killing someone in that environment. And with these games, if you die or your friend dies, you just come back to life.

          I think it's rather ****************ed up that the people calling for gun control aren't throwing a fit about the availability of such violent experiences for fun in video games and movies. Correct me if I'm wrong, but back closer to December, there were more people on the "right" concerned about this while many many on the left just wrote it off and called for gun control. I think that's really ****************ed up.

          These kinds of realistic-yet-virtual visuals and experiences are BRAND NEW to humanity. In the 80s and 90s, when 8-bit and even 64-bit looked very different from the real world, it would be clear to a kid's developing brain that it was totally unlike reality. But when a four-year-old kid whose brain is still learning what reality is like can watch his parents and siblings grab a gun, shoot people, get shot, and come back to life in what looks like the real world, we should probably be concerned about it. We shouldn't write it off. I suppose if congress tried to do something they would be stepping on the 1st ammendment instead of the 2nd, but the people can do something. Boycott these ****************ing games. Play sports games! Play Star Wars! Play fantasy games etc. Let the market squelch this ****************.

          Whaddayathink?


          Being kind of a video game fan my knee jerk reaction is to just dismiss this. You gotta figure anyone who is provoked to actually hurt people by playing a violent video game isn't all there to begin with. But I suppose there is a certain type of mind that can be negatively stimulated by a certain type of game. I recently played the new Metal Gear and there's a game mechanic where you can basically slice through anything with a sword. So sometimes the cyborgs that attack you will end up with their legs or arms chopped off but remain alive crawling towards you to attack you. They can still do damage until you chop off the other arm, and then they just kinda crawl around at your feet.

          There's a compartmentalizing that's done whereby over the top violence in games can be enjoyable without ever weakening an aversion to hurting actual people. But I could imagine cases where that titillation spills out of the compartment. I suspect, though, that guys like the Columbine killers or Adam Lanza decided right and wrong didn't mean anything to them without the help of a video game.




          While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

          Comment


          • Marko
            Marko commented
            Editing a comment
            I used to have a feeling that these graphic/violent video games were bad, even if just desensitizing people to the ugliness of it, but there really isn

        • #15

          Use to play this years ago. May drag it back out with the old sega genesis :smileylol:


          tecmo-bowl-throwback-20100302003758473.jpg

          Attached Files
          Man's Got To Know His Limitations........

          Comment


          • cdawg
            cdawg commented
            Editing a comment

            Long Crapper wrote:

            Use to play this years ago. May drag it back out with the old sega genesis :smileylol:


            tecmo-bowl-throwback-20100302003758473.jpg


            since my 360 died, i pulled out my o.g. xbox, ps2 and genesis.  that's what my son plays at my house.  good stuff.

            Attached Files


        Working...
        X