Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The NRA: Will they ever support anything other than MORE guns?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NRA: Will they ever support anything other than MORE guns?

So, apparently the NRA has come out against the announced bi-partisan bill expanding background searches for gun buyers at gun shows, a bill that something like 90% of Americans are for?.  Will the NRA continue to adamantly be against additional gun control when most people are for it?  And, if so, WHY?!?

New Trail wrote:

So, apparently the NRA has come out against the announced bi-partisan bill expanding background searches for gun buyers at gun shows, a bill that something like 90% of Americans are for?.  Will the NRA continue to adamantly be against additional gun control when most people are for it?  And, if so, WHY?!?

They've got to find a more concilatory voice, and listen. They've got lots of money and a fairly large number of people now, but they're starting to lose some of their support, especially from people like me.

I think every law abiding, sane American of appropriate age should be able to own/buy/sell/shoot guns if not disqualified statutorially. Having said that, requiring them to demonstrate that they're law abiding, sane, of appropriate age and that they can follow the rules for owning/buying/selling/shooting doesn't transgress on their rights, it just makes sure they know what they're doing and are legally entitled.

We can do that. And we're going to HAVE to do that to keep our guns. If the N.R.A. doesn't stop its fear mongering, paranoid rants (and I mean Wayne LaPierre) they're going to get left behind.

Comment

• coyote-1
      coyote-1 commented
      Editing a comment

dblazer wrote:

New Trail wrote:

They've got to find a more concilatory voice, and listen. They've got lots of money and a fairly large number of people now, but they're starting to lose some of their support, especially from people like me.

I think every law abiding, sane American of appropriate age should be able to own/buy/sell/shoot guns if not disqualified statutorially. Having said that, requiring them to demonstrate that they're law abiding, sane, of appropriate age and that they can follow the rules for owning/buying/selling/shooting doesn't transgress on their rights, it just makes sure they know what they're doing and are legally entitled.

We can do that. And we're going to HAVE to do that to keep our guns. If the N.R.A. doesn't stop its fear mongering, paranoid rants (and I mean Wayne LaPierre) they're going to get left behind.

I've been saying this for years. Usually when I do, you start ranting and fear-mongering  lol

Welcome to the world of sane 2nd Amendment support.

The NRA is primarily a lobbying arm for gun manufacturers.

Comment

• Invisible Hand
      Invisible Hand commented
      Editing a comment

guido61 wrote:

That's mostly true but they've gone after S&W and Ruger when they seemed to be cooperating with legislators, most notably concerning Clinton's efforts surrounding the so-called "Smart Gun".

• Minning Around
      Minning Around commented
      Editing a comment

guido61 wrote:

Bingo. Green speaks.

• Graeca
      Graeca commented
      Editing a comment

guido61 wrote:

Does seem so, these days.

New Trail wrote:

Hopefully they'll continue to oppose it, as they should.

Comment

• guido61
      guido61 commented
      Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

Hopefully they'll continue to oppose it, as they should.

Yep.  nothing like a lobby that stands up for the 10% and strongarms the congress to vote their way against the will of the rest of majority..  The American Way, eh?

New Trail wrote:

The NRA used to be for background checks, back when there was a Republican in the White House.

Comment

Hey you're the one who posted to me about tyranny of the majority as if you believe this bill is unconstitutional. If you support it, then don't side with those who don't.

Comment

• dblazer
        dblazer commented
        Editing a comment

guido61 wrote:
        Hey you're the one who posted to me about tyranny of the majority as if you believe this bill is unconstitutional. If you support it, then don't side with those who don't.

Now I've got NO idea at all what you're on about. I didn't say anything about the constitution, I said that America was about protection of individual rights.

I don't "side", I support or oppose issues. In the case of "gun control" I favor education, standardization of the rules across the population, and holding people responsible for their actions related to their rights.

I'm against restrictions on types of rifles and magazines because it's ineffectual. No purpose will be served.

Good night all, it's been, well, predictable.

Anything that slows the sales of guns is bad to the NRA. You must allow all gun sales of any kind of weapon. Anyone up for purchasing a nuke? (Not that I could afford it.) They will never say that a gun is too dangerous. But their weapons locker's peashooters aren't ready to take on the US government.

Comment

Guido: Honesty is obviously not your strong suit, but I already knew that.

Comment

Wynn: The government is more concerned about it than you.....which is why they wish to ban semi-auto rifles to begin with.

Or did you really think this was about 20 kids in Connecticut?

It isn't. It's about power and control. That's what gun control has always been about.

Comment

• Graeca
            Graeca commented
            Editing a comment

mauser wrote:
            Wynn: The government is more concerned about it than you.....which is why they wish to ban semi-auto rifles to begin with.

It isn't. It's about power and control. That's what gun control has always been about.

Mauser, such paranoid rants does not help your case...but it does give ammo (if you'll pardon the pun) to the anti-gun faction.

• New Trail
            New Trail commented
            Editing a comment

mauser wrote:

That doesn't really make sense, though.  If the evil Federal Government really had plans to, what, imprison the USA citizens, then semi-automatic weapons in the hands of the citizens would be like trying to stop a lion with a fly swatter.  If USA citizens feel that they need to be prepared to fight the evil Federal Government then they need to be armed with nukes, drones, and poisonous gasses, not semi-automatic rifles!

NRA = gun violence lobby. Nothing sells guns like fear
          I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

What happens up north, stays up north

Comment

What's BS? In many states, "private" dealers don't need to run background checks at gun shows and can sell as many guns as they like.

Comment

• narwhal
              narwhal commented
              Editing a comment

guido61 wrote:
              What's BS? In many states, "private" dealers don't need to run background checks at gun shows and can sell as many guns as they like.

Yes.  In many states private dealers set-up at gun shows and sell firearms, just like private dealers sell all kinds of stuff and do all kinds of work everywhere without licenses to do whatever they are doing.  Some (but not all) would get into trouble if their business practices were "under-the-microscope" for not having the proper license.  It is perfectly legal currently to set-up a table and sell guns at a gun show without an FFL as long as it is not a standing business where the individual is making a significant poriton of their income doing it.

There are many benefits of having an FFL that a non-FFL holder would not have, even though each sale of a firearm by the FFL holder has to go thru the checks system.  For one example, many gun shops conduct across-state-lines business as gunsmiths and also do refinish work on firearms.  This is not possible for a private individual as certain firearms parts require across-state-line shipment to an FFL holder for this work to be done legally.  This is usually a significant poriton of most gun stores' income.

• 99vettes_alt
              99vettes_alt commented
              Editing a comment

guido61 wrote:

Again you are wrong!  Federal Law prohibits dealing in firearms without a license, however federal law does allow a non-licensed person to sell a firearm from their private collection,so long as it's not for profit. Read the GCA 0f 1968,  this isn't anything new.

Anyone who is buying & selling guns without a license with the intent of flipping it for a profit is committing a felony.

Mauser: ignoring the questions and the facts but just attack my honesty instead? Nice.

I guess that's code for "I have no logical argument"?

Really? You don't this law would be declared unconstitutional, do you?

Comment

My city was gone is a pretenders song... keep bringing the weak
              I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

What happens up north, stays up north

Comment

Working...
              X