Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Best Low Watt Amp You Own

I have some good ones. THD Univale, Carvin Vintage 16 combo and VHT Special 6 Ultra.

I've always loved the Univalve, but the throw under the arm Carvin makes me use that one more.The China VHT is a great tone machine for $150 shipped, but it kind of sucks. Carvin- EL84 nice cleans, but the thing rocks. I've never had an issue keeping up with the gain a bit more that I always do.

What is yours?

Depends on the definition of "low watt".

I have two. One is a Stage amp wi a 10" speaker. The other is a Fender Princeton Reverb II that puts out about 22 watts at maximum. That thing sounds awesome, especially when hooked to a deep 2x12 extension cab.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

• Stonedtone
      Stonedtone commented
      Editing a comment

coyote-1 wrote:

I have two. One is a Stage amp wi a 10" speaker. The other is a Fender Princeton Reverb II that puts out about 22 watts at maximum. That thing sounds awesome, especially when hooked to a deep 2x12 extension cab.

22 is low. That is not a loud amp

• lagger
      lagger commented
      Editing a comment

coyote-1 wrote:

I run my '67 Princeton Reverb through a THD 2X12 closed back cab... :luv:

Bogner XTC in half power, Class A, triode mode. ~7 Watts, tons of gain and a superb clean channel...
    ...but, this one goes to eleven.

Comment

• Stonedtone
      Stonedtone commented
      Editing a comment

SteinbergerHack wrote:
      Bogner XTC in half power, Class A, triode mode. ~7 Watts, tons of gain and a superb clean channel...

you win

12 Watt early 70s SF Fender Princeton Reverb with Jensen P10R alnico speaker.

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

• Graeca
      Graeca commented
      Editing a comment

onelife wrote:

12 Watt early 70s SF Fender Princeton Reverb with Jensen P10R alnico speaker.

Those are excellent!

Custom-builthand-wired circuit with a 5879 pentode preamp in front of a pair of cathode-biased EL84s. AC15 meets Tweed Deluxe.

Honorable mention to the Marshall Class 5 head I just got- I run it through an Avatar 2X12 with Blues, and it sounds great cranked (once I retubed it).

Definitely gig-able in a small room, or miked in a larger one.

I returned the VHT Special 12/20 to MF-it sounded great when it worked, but it was defective, and I think the componentry is too cheap to be reliable.

Stumblin' thru da ghost town.....

Comment

• larry50
      larry50 commented
      Editing a comment

Hughes and Kettner Tubemeister 18.  Built in power soak lets you take it down from 18 to 5 and 1 watts, or silent DI through the built-in Red Box, through a Hughes and Kettner 12 inch cab with a Celestion Vintage 30.

Stonedtone wrote:

I have some good ones. THD Univale, Carvin Vintage 16 combo and VHT Special 6 Ultra.

I've always loved the Univalve, but the throw under the arm Carvin makes me use that one more.The China VHT is a great tone machine for $150 shipped, but it kind of sucks. Carvin- EL84 nice cleans, but the thing rocks. I've never had an issue keeping up with the gain a bit more that I always do.

What is yours?

I no longer own either of these but I regret the loss of both equally.

1962 Harmony Push-Pull '30w' 2x12.

1953 National/Valco ' Single-Ended '15w' 1x8

Both had 'saggy' Tube Rectifiers.

Back in 'The Day' neither was loud enough for Stage use.  Today, Mics and Front-of-House Sound make them useable.

gp

"The nature of bad news infects the teller."

The above is not to be taken too seriously.

Comment

• Invisible Hand
      Invisible Hand commented
      Editing a comment

Super Champ.  

• Kardula
      Kardula commented
      Editing a comment

30 watts is the only amp I have, if that counts then it's a Rivera 30-12 aka r30

Fender PJ.

Comment

Orange TT... for now. Building a Cieratone kit
    I'm not a gynecologist, but I'll be glad to take a look

Float like a butterfly, sting like VD

What happens up north, stays up north

Comment

66 Fender Princeton Reverb.

Comment

'73 silverface champ

$(KGrHqF,!rkFC(RDN0rrBQwit3pfiQ~~60\_57.JPG

Attached Files
    Man's Got To Know His Limitations........

Comment

• Fred Fartboski
      Fred Fartboski commented
      Editing a comment

I used to have a Fender Champ, as a kid, in the mid-60's. Now I have a Gibson reissue GA5(5 watts). Small, loud as hell, and it has just one dial for "volume".

My best little amp is my '83 Fender Super Champ.  Wouldn't trade if anything......

Comment

I'm a recording producer / engineer, and my focus is far more slanted towards the studio than it is live performance, so almost all of my amps are what could be technically defined as "low wattage."

"Best" is subjective, and I have several different amps because of the variety of different tonal options that it gives me. I would argue that neither a Vox or Marshall or Fender isn't "better" than the others, but they're certainly different... the "best" is situationally dependent.

I'm a big fan of Fender Princetons - I have a '71 that's been "blackfaced", and a Princeton Reverb II. I also have an original 80s era Super Champ, a Vox AC15, a THD Univalve, a Pignose, a couple of Guytronix tube amps I built from kits, a Marshall Class 5... like I said, ith the exception of my SWR bass amp, it's all "low wattage" stuff - as long as "low wattage" is being defined as anything from 1/4W to about 22W RMS.

If you forced me to pick only one, I'd probably opt for the '71 Princeton.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

• chuckgp
        chuckgp commented
        Editing a comment

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

I'm a recording producer / engineer, and my focus is far more slanted towards the studio than it is live performance, so almost all of my amps are what could be technically defined as "low wattage."

"Best" is subjective, and I have several different amps because of the variety of different tonal options that it gives me. I would argue that neither a Vox or Marshall or Fender isn't "better" than the others, but they're certainly different... the "best" is situationally dependent.

I'm a big fan of Fender Princetons - I have a '71 that's been "blackfaced", and a Princeton Reverb II. I also have an original 80s era Super Champ, a Vox AC15, a THD Univalve, a Pignose, a couple of Guytronix tube amps I built from kits, a Marshall Class 5... like I said, ith the exception of my SWR bass amp, it's all "low wattage" stuff - as long as "low wattage" is being defined as anything from 1/4W to about 22W RMS.

so 3 guys have 80's Rivera-Fender Super Champs here

Very cool.

• LARRY L
        LARRY L commented
        Editing a comment

Phil O'Keefe wrote:

I can guess why you stopped at 22 watts.amp sm.jpg

Attached Files

The only good Low watt amps are Blackfaces. Eevn the Twweds need two for goosd sound.

Any MARSHALL OR DOESTORION AMP IS USLESS AS A LOW WATTEG AMP. bANK ON THAT.

Not a speck of cereal

Comment

• DesertDirtDog
        DesertDirtDog commented
        Editing a comment

Balthazar Munoz wrote:

The only good Low watt amps are Blackfaces. Eevn the Twweds need two for goosd sound.

What about a glue bag- how's that?

• LARRY L
        LARRY L commented
        Editing a comment

Balthazar Munoz wrote:

I really like my Champ I built shown in back posts but why do you say Blackfaces only, clean head room? The 5 watt Eppi valve Jr I also posted sounded pretty good after some mods, it just needs better iron.

Working...
    X