No announcement yet.

O.T. What Defines A Genius?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. What Defines A Genius?

Not in the traditional sense....having a large IQ....but in the "artistic" sense.

The Beatles I feel were genius in their composing and song structure. Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms were geniuses in their compositions. Imagine writing a score for a full symphony orchestra.

Or what about Lucas? His vision of Star wars could be described as a work of a genius.

What do you think?

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
    ―J.S.B. Morse

The Beatles were a group of people.  Can a group be a genius?

Anybody I know who has been described as talented or genius shows strong OCD tendencies.

Zip

665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

• Red Ant
      Red Ant commented
      Editing a comment

A Genius is the one most like himself.

- Thelonious Monk.

• sirfun
      sirfun commented
      Editing a comment

Zipperhead wrote:

The Beatles were a group of people.  Can a group be a genius?

how 'bout the lone rangers ??

quickie1 wrote:

Not in the traditional sense....having a large IQ....but in the "artistic" sense.

The Beatles I feel were genius in their composing and song structure. Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms were geniuses in their compositions. Imagine writing a score for a full symphony orchestra.

Or what about Lucas? His vision of Star wars could be described as a work of a genius.

What do you think?

I have written a score for a full symphony orchestra, but I'm certainly no genius.  Maybe that's why it never got played!

It's a good question as to what defines a genius.  Personally I think George Lucas may well be a genius, but what would I think if his work hadn't been popular?  Is John Lennon more of a genius than fro example Robert Fripp simply because his work was more widely appreciated?  Wouldn't that make Justin Bieber a genius by default.

To me, one thing that all musical and artistic geniuses have in common is that they were/are to some extent innovators. Of course, not all innovators are geniuses, so the definition gets complicated.

Strangers on this road we are on,
    and we are not two, we are one.

Comment

• Ed
      Ed commented
      Editing a comment
      A genius is able to make unique connections that are true. Artistic geniuses do the same. The only difference is that they combine that with the ability to communicate this truth.

I think the genius is in how you do things.

Comment

• quickie1
      quickie1 commented
      Editing a comment

moonlightin wrote:

I think the genius is in how you do things.

In this case, I'm a genius in the bedroom.

quickie1 wrote:

What do you think?

I think The Beatles were a synergistic union. I don't know that any of them were (or weren't) geniuses.

Stumblin' thru da ghost town.....

Comment

Was Louis Armstrong a genius?

Or just a musician with immense talent and grace?

flip the phase

Comment

• sirfun
        sirfun commented
        Editing a comment

gubu wrote:

Yes !!

and Hank is the GOAT !!

• bluzboy
        bluzboy commented
        Editing a comment

gubu wrote:

He was a giant in terms of innovation.  

I'm not sure if he was a genius or not.

quickie1 wrote:

What do you think?

When you move "genius" into personal opinion, it kind of kick the barrier down & can lead to a lot of "unworthy" genius'. You have "brilliant", "innovative", "extraordinary", "exceptional
      "...etc for descriptive purposes.

Genius in the context of personal opinion, definitely will have a tendency to lose it's value..

''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
      Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Working...
      X