Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. What Defines A Genius?

Not in the traditional sense....having a large IQ....but in the "artistic" sense.

The Beatles I feel were genius in their composing and song structure. Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms were geniuses in their compositions. Imagine writing a score for a full symphony orchestra.

Or what about Lucas? His vision of Star wars could be described as a work of a genius.

What do you think?

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
    ―J.S.B. Morse

The Beatles were a group of people.  Can a group be a genius?

Anybody I know who has been described as talented or genius shows strong OCD tendencies.

Zip

665 - Neighbor of the Beast

Originally Posted by RobRoy: I believe that the only way Obama will remain in power is if he suspends elections. And at that point he is no longer president. He is dictator. But I don't believe he will even survive that long. It could be suicide, impeachment by BOTH parties, you name it.

Comment

• Red Ant
      Red Ant commented
      Editing a comment

A Genius is the one most like himself.

- Thelonious Monk.

• sirfun
      sirfun commented
      Editing a comment

Zipperhead wrote:

The Beatles were a group of people.  Can a group be a genius?

how 'bout the lone rangers ??

quickie1 wrote:

Not in the traditional sense....having a large IQ....but in the "artistic" sense.

The Beatles I feel were genius in their composing and song structure. Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms were geniuses in their compositions. Imagine writing a score for a full symphony orchestra.

Or what about Lucas? His vision of Star wars could be described as a work of a genius.

What do you think?

I have written a score for a full symphony orchestra, but I'm certainly no genius.  Maybe that's why it never got played!

It's a good question as to what defines a genius.  Personally I think George Lucas may well be a genius, but what would I think if his work hadn't been popular?  Is John Lennon more of a genius than fro example Robert Fripp simply because his work was more widely appreciated?  Wouldn't that make Justin Bieber a genius by default.

To me, one thing that all musical and artistic geniuses have in common is that they were/are to some extent innovators. Of course, not all innovators are geniuses, so the definition gets complicated.

###### Why can't I post anything here anymore??? ######

Comment

• Ed
      Ed commented
      Editing a comment
      A genius is able to make unique connections that are true. Artistic geniuses do the same. The only difference is that they combine that with the ability to communicate this truth.

I think the genius is in how you do things.

Comment

• quickie1
      quickie1 commented
      Editing a comment

moonlightin wrote:

I think the genius is in how you do things.

In this case, I'm a genius in the bedroom.

quickie1 wrote:

What do you think?

I think The Beatles were a synergistic union. I don't know that any of them were (or weren't) geniuses.

Stumblin' thru da ghost town.....

Comment

Was Louis Armstrong a genius?

Or just a musician with immense talent and grace?

flip the phase

Comment

• sirfun
        sirfun commented
        Editing a comment

gubu wrote:

Yes !!

and Hank is the GOAT !!

• bluzboy
        bluzboy commented
        Editing a comment

gubu wrote:

He was a giant in terms of innovation.  

I'm not sure if he was a genius or not.

quickie1 wrote:

What do you think?

When you move "genius" into personal opinion, it kind of kick the barrier down & can lead to a lot of "unworthy" genius'. You have "brilliant", "innovative", "extraordinary", "exceptional
      "...etc for descriptive purposes.

Genius in the context of personal opinion, definitely will have a tendency to lose it's value..

''All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"--Edmund Burke
      Man created science to create what man wants science to create.

Comment

Working...
      X