Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Finally Made Up My Mind.

With all of the unrest in this world, (as well as on this forum), it has helped me to step back and give pause and think about what I want out of life. What I have to offer also and most importantly to me, what I feel about things to come.

After going through the painful death of my father in law, complete with me giving him the large dosages of morphine up till his passing and watching Leslie and her sister sob, it just showed me how in control I am of being totally out of control.

I have been struggling about my spirituality and God for some time now. I was brought up as a Roman Catholic but have not been a practicing one since Leslie and I were married some 20 years ago. And I must give this forum some credit for helping me understand myself and others feelings as well.

I don't feel anything is wrong with having faith in something or someone, real, imaginary, proven or unproven. If it makes you a better person, helps you get through life or comforts you, that is all that matters.

Every day, as I get older, I look back at my behavior throughout my life. Many mistakes made and many lessons learned. And being honest with myself, more than likely, more to come. I don't feel this is a weakness any longer. I think it can become a strength as I learn not to repeat myself.

That's the key.

“True unalienable rights do not require one to trample other unalienable rights.”
    ―J.S.B. Morse

You think too much about yourself.

Comment

• quickie1
      quickie1 commented
      Editing a comment

Rudolf von Hagenwil wrote:

That's ok.

• Jack Walker
      Jack Walker commented
      Editing a comment

Ha! Rudy that's exactly what I was going to say. Damn, just be nice to people and do the best you can do. If you can't, then let there be a good reason for it. Love and respect your wife. That's about it. It sounds like to me you have a very grasp on what's right and what's not. Trust your gut and continue on. Too much worrying will put in your grave too early. 

• rushtallica
      rushtallica commented
      Editing a comment

Introspection can be a good thing. 

There are some worthy sentiments expressed in your post, but I am not clear on something: What did you make up your mind about?

Current global warming temperature trend: 0.05ºC per decade, plus or minus 0.1ºC (source: UN IPCC AR5) ...Yes, the error rate is higher than the estimated rate of change.

"Anthropogenic global warming is a proposed theory whose basic mechanism is well understood, but whose magnitude is highly uncertain. The growing evidence that climate models are too sensitive to CO2 has implications for the attribution of late-20th-century warming and projections of 21st-century climate. If the recent warming hiatus is caused by natural variability, then this raises the question as to what extent the warming between 1975 and 2000 can also be explained by natural climate variability." --Dr. Judith Curry, chair of the School of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the Georgia Institute of Technology

Comment

• quickie1
      quickie1 commented
      Editing a comment

rbstern wrote:

There are some worthy sentiments expressed in your post, but I am not clear on something: What did you make up your mind about?

Damn. I guess as I reread it it is vague in that sense. A supreme being, creator, God.....whatever name needs be put.

quickie1 wrote:

I don't feel anything is wrong with having faith in something or someone, real, imaginary, proven or unproven. If it makes you a better person, helps you get through life or comforts you, that is all that matters.

As an agnostic, I don't think there is anything wrong with that either, no more than I think the inverse is just as true.

From your pov, you probably thought you were walking the middle ground and have just made up your mind, but I've seen from your engagements with strongly opinionated atheists here that you've actually been defending your faith for some time, now.

Be at peace, find your sense of morality where you will and don't feel you need to justify your spirituality to anyone.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into your cave...SLEESTAK!

Comment

• quickie1
      quickie1 commented
      Editing a comment

Microtilt wrote:

quickie1 wrote:

As an agnostic, I don't think there is anything wrong with that either, no more than I think the inverse is just as true.

From your pov, you probably thought you were walking the middle ground and have just made up your mind, but I've seen from your engagements with strongly opinionated atheists here that you've actually been defending your faith for some time, now.

Be at peace, find your sense of morality where you will and don't feel you need to justify your spirituality to anyone.

I may have come across that way, but I was defending ones belief or feeling over the "it doesn't exist unless it can be proven" aspect. I appreciate the kinds sentiment and wish the same for you.

quickie1 wrote:

Those are so widely separated, even polar opposites, that I don't see a very clear difference between one side or the other of your struggle.

CHAO AB ORDO

Comment

• quickie1
      quickie1 commented
      Editing a comment

chuckgp wrote:

quickie1 wrote:

Those are so widely separated, even polar opposites, that I don't see a very clear difference between one side or the other of your struggle.

It's a generalization. I do that to much, I admit. The fact of the matter is, I do believe in a supreme being.

quickie1 wrote:

i've always thought this, too.  it's kept me from getting nasty with people who is severely deluded.  (keeping in mind that these are not the only religious folks i've known.)

also, could this be an attempt to become closer to god, at the end of your life, as an atonement?  or, relative maturity?  (i'm not sure if i'm joking.)

i miss you, mark
    r.i.p. rudy

Comment

• quickie1
      quickie1 commented
      Editing a comment

cdawg wrote:

quickie1 wrote:

i've always thought this, too.  it's kept me from getting nasty with people who is severely deluded.  (keeping in mind that these are not the only religious folks i've known.)

also, could this be an attempt to become closer to god, at the end of your life, as an atonement?  or, relative maturity?  (i'm not sure if i'm joking.)

I would agree that this are indeed some of the reasons. I guess I look of it as being possible. I will never understand those who say it's not possible". Not probable would be a better statement.

quickie1 wrote:

I have been struggling about my spirituality and God for some time now. I was brought up as a Roman Catholic but have not been a practicing one since Leslie and I were married some 20 years ago. And I must give this forum some credit for helping me understand myself and others feelings as well.

Every day, as I get older, I look back at my behavior throughout my life. Many mistakes made and many lessons learned. And being honest with myself, more than likely, more to come. I don't feel this is a weakness any longer. I think it can become a strength as I learn not to repeat myself.

Good on you for attaining resolution and making peace with yourself.

I also was brought up Catholic, and as I became more and more aware of the undemonstrable and absurd assertions of dogma, and my honest questions regarding the seemingly incredible claims of The Church were met with authoritarian repression by both clergy and my parents, I grew to despise Catholicism in particular and religion in general.

I support everyones' right to hold whatever beliefs appeal to them, but for myself, I see very much  wrong with having faith in something or someone imaginary or unproven.

I hate dishonesty, and for me, adopting a belief system which has been designed by others (as opposed to processing my own experience and observation) and does not stand up to critical examination would be the most dishonest violation of my values possible.

I don't have a problem admitting 'I don't know' when it comes to the origin or ultimate destiny of existence, and can't imagine 'faith in something or someone imaginary or unproven' enabling me to do anything I can't do without.

Belief in myself has been my key to surmounting the challenges I've encountered in life, and lack of it has been the source of my failures.

Stumblin' thru da ghost town.....

Comment

• E-money
      E-money commented
      Editing a comment

DesertDirtDog wrote:

quickie1 wrote:

Good on you for attaining resolution and making peace with yourself.

I also was brought up Catholic, and as I became more and more aware of the undemonstrable and absurd assertions of dogma, and my honest questions regarding the seemingly incredible claims of The Church were met with authoritarian repression by both clergy and my parents, I grew to despise Catholicism in particular and religion in general.

I support everyones' right to hold whatever beliefs appeal to them, but for myself, I see very much  wrong with having faith in something or someone imaginary or unproven.

I hate dishonesty, and for me, adopting a belief system which has been designed by others (as opposed to processing my own experience and observation) and does not stand up to critical examination would be the most dishonest violation of my values possible.

I don't have a problem admitting 'I don't know' when it comes to the origin or ultimate destiny of existence, and can't imagine 'faith in something or someone imaginary or unproven' enabling me to do anything I can't do without.

Belief in myself has been my key to surmounting the challenges I've encountered in life, and lack of it has been the source of my failures.

Excellent post.  Our experiences are very similar (also raised catholic).  You hit my feelings towards religion right on the head.

Working...
X