Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT:- Holy fundamental particles Batman! IBM makes animated movie using single atoms

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT:- Holy fundamental particles Batman! IBM makes animated movie using single atoms

Pretty amazing stuff

http://news.discovery.com/tech/nanotechnology/atom-stars-worlds-smallest-movie-130501.htm

IBM scientists Wednesday unveiled what they called "the world's smallest movie," which tracks the movement of atoms magnified 100 million times.

The film, "A Boy and His Atom," depicts a character named Atom who befriends a single atom and follows him on a journey of dancing and bouncing that helps explain the science behind data storage.

"Capturing, positioning and shaping atoms to create an original motion picture on the atomic-level is a precise science and entirely novel," said Andreas Heinrich, a scientist at IBM Research.

flip the phase

Cool I wonder if those are valence shells around them?
    I need to see how it was made.

Comment

• gubu
      gubu commented
      Editing a comment

Davo17 wrote:
      Cool I wonder if those are valence shells around them?
      I need to see how it was made.

From what I understand, the wavelike shapes around the atoms are actual electrons. The nuclear forces of the atoms are forcing them to behave like standing waves.

Here's what happens when you use iron atoms to 'corral' electrons. The circular waves are electrons being held as standing waves by the iron atoms:-

corral

Attached Files

the book was better

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• Fred Fartboski
      Fred Fartboski commented
      Editing a comment

goodhonk wrote:

the book was better

I can't wait for the sequel to come out.

Working...
X