No announcement yet.

I Haven't Used a Guitar Effect in Months

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Haven't Used a Guitar Effect in Months

I have a bunch of high end effects. My amps are very good amps. I was just using my OCD or Homebreww Big D, but I've stopped. I don't know whether I'm becoming less a gain guy or my amps are doing just fine without them. I have awesome tone, last night with my Hamer Studio and Carvin Vintage 16

Wow. Really?

Tell me about that new tube you bought.

No better yet, start a thread.

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
      Daryl Flynn commented
      Editing a comment

lol @ Carvin

"I have awesomwe tone"

• Stonedtone
      Stonedtone commented
      Editing a comment

Daryl Flynn wrote:

Wow. Really?

Tell me about that new tube you bought.

No better yet, start a thread.

Ignor is a beautiful thing

Stonedtone wrote:

I have a bunch of high end effects. My amps are very good amps. I was just using my OCD or Homebreww Big D, but I've stopped. I don't know whether I'm becoming less a gain guy or my amps are doing just fine without them. I have awesome tone, last night with my Hamer Studio and Carvin Vintage 16

Ever since I heard Hamer was shutting down, I've been looking for the perfect Hamer Studio Custom.  I'll find it someday soon, for the right price.

As I already own a gorgeous DC Les Paul, the Hamer isn't such a high priority.

Usually I just add a bit of reverb and just a bit of delay. I suppose the Robben Ford formula. When I play straight ahead jazz, I use reverb only with an archtop.

People who constantly need effects like wah, phase, envelope filters etc, probably would rather tinker than learn how to play.

Comment

• Brave Ulysses
      Brave Ulysses commented
      Editing a comment

Igor is a beautiful thing?   hmmm....

igore

Attached Files

• Microtilt
      Microtilt commented
      Editing a comment

VagueSubscription wrote:

People who constantly need effects like wah, phase, envelope filters etc, probably would rather tinker than learn how to play.

That may be true in some cases.  In my studio, I practice my guitar with a minimum of grease.

However, I also play in a cover band and am expected to reproduce signature guitar parts as faithfully as I can.  Sometimes, that means using tones and techniques I may not have chosen otherwise.  I can play Barracuda  without the phaser, but then it woudn't sound very much like the guitar part the punters associate with the song.

From where I stand, you'll find more hacks focusing on the 'A' in GAS than tinkering with the gear they already own and haven't fully utilized.

• Stonedtone
      Stonedtone commented
      Editing a comment

VagueSubscription wrote:

Stonedtone wrote:

Ever since I heard Hamer was shutting down, I've been looking for the perfect Hamer Studio Custom.  I'll find it someday soon, for the right price.

As I already own a gorgeous DC Les Paul, the Hamer isn't such a high priority.

Usually I just add a bit of reverb and just a bit of delay. I suppose the Robben Ford formula. When I play straight ahead jazz, I use reverb only with an archtop.

The Hamer Studio is a great guitar. My friend and I a/b'd it with his high end LP. The LP had more gain, but the Hamer was much more clear and defined. I found mine on eBay for less than $800. One of my good finds

Stonedtone wrote:

I have like $15k in vintage effects. I haven't touched a guitar in maybe 8 months.

I guess it's for the best, though. When I play a lot, it usually means I'm angry or depressed. No music, no problem!

Don't even bother. You can't win.

Flag a Post
    The Report has been sent.
    [OK]

Comment

It's been my experience that the guy who says he has great tone, usually doesn't.

Just sayin'......

Rightly are the simple so called.

Comment

Stonedtone wrote:

sometimes shutting all that stuff off is really freeing

Comment

• Ed
          Ed commented
          Editing a comment
          I've always been impressed with people who can use lots of pedals. It's like adding to the complexity of the instrument, which is something I have never really been able to do beyond having a distortion pedal.

I make up for my inability to do all of that by umm... not being as good as those guys.

Working...
      X