Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: IMO the Classiest lantern Coleman made.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: IMO the Classiest lantern Coleman made.

Coleman made dozens of different model lanterns over the years, but to me, this is their best!

In 1932 Coleman introduced their 1st single mantle lantern...the Coleman 242 "Junior" and was produced through 1935 when it was then replaced by the 242A, 242B and 242C series. The 242 was noticeably different by it's small vent and NRV which were phased out with later models. Here's one of mine dated April, 1932...the first year of production.

no letter

Here it is with a 242B...notice the size difference in the vents and the 242B has a PRV instead of a NRV...also the 242 has a straight globe and the 242B as a bulged globe.

242b

Both these lanterns are in near mint shape...I've fired them up once and that's it...their shelf queens.

Attached Files
    [COLOR=#800000][I]Happiness is a warm gut pile!!![/I][/COLOR]

I'm sure they add an understated classiness to the old double-wide trailer.  They probably cast a nice natural glow on the Dale Earnhardt shrine.

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Comment

Friggin Sweet mang!

__________________________________________________ _________
      arcadesonfire:
      And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
      ______________________________________________ _________
      guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
      __________________________________________________ ______
      Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
      _____________________________________________ _________
      ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

classily on topic

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

• Sloppy Santa
          Sloppy Santa commented
          Editing a comment

coyote-1 wrote:

classily on topic

And interesting. I wish I had a collection of them.

Hoddy wrote:

Coleman made dozens of different model lanterns over the years, but to me, this is their best!

In 1932 Coleman introduced their 1st single mantle lantern...the Coleman 242 "Junior" and was produced through 1935 when it was then replaced by the 242A, 242B and 242C series. The 242 was noticeably different by it's small vent and NRV which were phased out with later models. Here's one of mine dated April, 1932...the first year of production.

no letter

Here it is with a 242B...notice the size difference in the vents and the 242B has a PRV instead of a NRV...also the 242 has a straight globe and the 242B as a bulged globe.

242b

Both these lanterns are in near mint shape...I've fired them up once and that's it...their shelf queens.

Nice Hoddy, but there's still the problem of the whale oil. Your wife can only yield so much.

If Coleman only made a hybrid latern that could help cut back on whale oil consumption.

Attached Files

Comment

• Hoddy
          Hoddy commented
          Editing a comment

VagueSubscription wrote:

Hoddy wrote:

no letter

242b

Nice Hoddy, but there's still the problem of the whale oil. Your wife can only yield so much.

If Coleman only made a hybrid latern that could help cut back on whale oil consumption.

Coleman lanterns burn either CF (white gas), unleaded gas or kerosene. None of them run on whale oil.

Attached Files

• Phil O'Keefe
          Phil O'Keefe commented
          Editing a comment

VagueSubscription wrote:

Hoddy wrote:

no letter

242b

This post, along with the other two posts where you made personal attacks on Hoddy's wife, resulted in a 90 day temp-ban. One month for each of the attacks. Family members are "off-limits", and attacks against them are a violation of our site rules. Please keep it civil and debate the issues, and refrain from personal attacks when you return from your temp-ban.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Hoddy wrote:

no letter

242b

Their shelf queens what? What did their shelf queens do?

Mantle on the 1st pic looks a bit like a dog's dick.

Attached Files

Don't even bother. You can't win.

Jobs created by the GOP: 1
        http://i.imgur.com/V2FbfNh.jpg

Flag a Post
        The Report has been sent.
        [OK]

Comment

• Hoddy
          Hoddy commented
          Editing a comment

willhaven wrote:

Hoddy wrote:

no letter

242b

Their shelf queens what? What did their shelf queens do?

Mantle on the 1st pic looks a bit like a dog's dick.

Shelf queens are lanterns that are in too good of shape to burn. Due to their age and condition both those lanterns are shelf queens. I have others of the same models that aren't in quite as good as shape that I use as daily burners.

Attached Files

So, Hoddy, how many lanterns do you have?

Do you sell, or just collect?

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' "
        — Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
        X