Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching Oklahoma tornado survivors searching for survivors...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching Oklahoma tornado survivors searching for survivors...

No coms.  No power.  No industrial equipment to aid in the search.  Its getting dark.

As I type this out, Im watching aerial footage of the unorganized and sporadic efforts in searching for people.  The debris field is huge.  No street signs, no recognizable locales.

In school, I did a research paper on disaster rescue efforts in the immediate aftermath of a disaster-its a known phenominon that rescuers search through one pile of rubbish, and then move on to the next.  Additional separate rescue groups will laster happen upon and seach the same areas, decreasing efficiency further.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the people of OK today.

Tomorrow you will be posting that Obama's sequester caused budget cuts in the National Weather Service, making it all his fault. If you don't, one of your brothers will. 

fourstooges.jpg

Burnin', Dumbo, Sara Flinn, and Stumpy

Attached Files

Comment

• Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

erok123 wrote:

Tomorrow you will be posting that Obama's sequester caused budget cuts in the National Weather Service, making it all his fault. If you don't, one of your brothers will. 

fourstooges.jpg

Burnin', Dumbo, Sara Flinn, and Stumpy

Thats for trying to make this political.

Attached Files

• sirfun
      sirfun commented
      Editing a comment

erok123 wrote:

you should have saved that a thread or 2

and why did you picture them so heroically ??

• moonlightin
      moonlightin commented
      Editing a comment

Please. The local weather guys are our first line of defense here. The national weather service is always a half hour behind them.

Problem with tornados is that they form so quickly, there's simply no way to give much heads up. It's like an earthquake in that regard.
    We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

• larry50
      larry50 commented
      Editing a comment

Elias Graves wrote:
      Please. The local weather guys are our first line of defense here. The national weather service is always a half hour behind them.

Problem with tornados is that they form so quickly, there's simply no way to give much heads up. It's like an earthquake in that regard.

Actually, you can get up to 1/2 hour warning on tornados.  No warning whatsoever on earthquakes. 

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
      Daryl Flynn commented
      Editing a comment

moonlightin wrote:

Davo17 wrote:

No coms.  No power.  No industrial equipment to aid in the search.  Its getting dark.

As I type this out, Im watching aerial footage of the unorganized and sporadic efforts in searching for people.  The debris field is huge.  No street signs, no recognizable locales.

In school, I did a research paper on disaster rescue efforts in the immediate aftermath of a disaster-its a known phenominon that rescuers search through one pile of rubbish, and then move on to the next.  Additional separate rescue groups will laster happen upon and seach the same areas, decreasing efficiency further.

How quickly you forget your sick friend. He must not have meant that much to you.

Jesus Christ

He forgot his sick friend because he's concerned about OK?

You take the cake, lady.

• Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

moonlightin wrote:

Davo17 wrote:

How quickly you forget your sick friend. He must not have meant that much to you.

I haven't fogotten Carlos at all, lady.  I did see your comments on the south and tornados.

I dont know how you sleep at night.

It's highly likely that the conservatards will try to turn this on Obama. It's pretty obvious that Davo was headed in that direction but got cut off at the pass. Lulz
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

• Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

LithiumZero wrote:
      It's highly likely that the conservatards will try to turn this on Obama. It's pretty obvious that Davo was headed in that direction but got cut off at the pass. Lulz

Liberal tolerance on display.  What does this have to do with the tornados?

Jeez, you guys will fight about anything.
    Give it a rest for one damn thread would ya?

Comment

Irony meter just pegged
    "Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."“Conservatives say if you don't give the rich more money, they will lose their incentive to invest. As for the poor, they tell us they've lost all incentive because we've given them too much money.”― George Carlin"The founding fathers were well aware of rapid firing capabilities by the indians." - NormH

Comment

• Daryl Flynn
      Daryl Flynn commented
      Editing a comment

LithiumZero wrote:
      Irony meter just pegged

I heard you were just pegged.

Davo17 wrote:

When described like that, it's enough to make me want my country to stop dropping bombs on people - for any reason.

As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
    from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

• Davo17
      Davo17 commented
      Editing a comment

onelife wrote:

Davo17 wrote:

When described like that, it's enough to make me want my country to stop dropping bombs on people - for any reason.

I dont think most bombing campaigns since the vietnam war really compare.  Where does canada drop bombs?

• thankyou
      thankyou commented
      Editing a comment

onelife wrote:

Post of the day.

As I type this out, Im watching aerial footage of the unorganized and sporadic efforts in searching for people. The debris field is huge. No street signs, no recognizable locales.
    In school, I did a research paper on disaster rescue efforts in the immediate aftermath of a disaster-its a known phenominon that rescuers search through one pile of rubbish, and then move on to the next. Additional separate rescue groups will laster happen upon and seach the same areas, decreasing efficiency further.

A. It's much more organized than you imagine. Given that you're looking for survivors, you can't just plow through with bulldozers. There's no power, no water, natural gas leaks, downed power lines. It's a war zone.
    B. once an area or vehicle is searched, rescue workers tag it with spray paint to prevent double tracking.

We know how to handle a tornado and we don't sit around and wait for FEMA to show up. Tonight, search lights are going up all over, the national guard is pouring in along with utility crews, highway patrol, several hundred deputies and officers from towns all over the state. Within two weeks, the debris will be gone and rebuilding will be done in a year. Save your criticism.

Comment

• quickie1
      quickie1 commented
      Editing a comment

Elias Graves wrote:
      As I type this out, Im watching aerial footage of the unorganized and sporadic efforts in searching for people. The debris field is huge. No street signs, no recognizable locales.
      In school, I did a research paper on disaster rescue efforts in the immediate aftermath of a disaster-its a known phenominon that rescuers search through one pile of rubbish, and then move on to the next. Additional separate rescue groups will laster happen upon and seach the same areas, decreasing efficiency further.

A. It's much more organized than you imagine. Given that you're looking for survivors, you can't just plow through with bulldozers. There's no power, no water, natural gas leaks, downed power lines. It's a war zone.
      B. once an area or vehicle is searched, rescue workers tag it with spray paint to prevent double tracking.

We know how to handle a tornado and we don't sit around and wait for FEMA to show up. Tonight, search lights are going up all over, the national guard is pouring in along with utility crews, highway patrol, several hundred deputies and officers from towns all over the state. Within two weeks, the debris will be gone and rebuilding will be done in a year. Save your criticism.

Gods speed to the victims and their families.

Well Davo for to 1001st time I'm not a liberal and frankly it's you who is intolerable so forgive me if I **************** on another one of your "look at me and my training" threads. Now get back to your thread and maybe you'll get the chance to talk about your expert skills again

Comment

• yumpy
      yumpy commented
      Editing a comment

LithiumZero wrote:
      Well Davo for to 1001st time I'm not a liberal and frankly it's you who is intolerable so forgive me if I **************** on another one of your "look at me and my training" threads. Now get back to your thread and maybe you'll get the chance to talk about your expert skills again

you are a non entity. 

and kinda a moron. 

like a really BIG, stupid moron.

what skills you got, btw? 

Here's the thing. We really don't care what Washington does. We know how to clean up a mess without a nanny to show us what to do.
    After 99, the Feds were more a pita than a help, to be honest.
    We've already begun turning first responders away. It's getting too crowded down there.
    Lines are literally backed up for miles at designated donation dropoff points.
    Those evil oil companies have already pledged millions for relief.
    We'll be fine on our own. Just say a prayer for those who are hurting.

Comment

• buckethead99
      buckethead99 commented
      Editing a comment

Elias Graves wrote:
      Here's the thing. We really don't care what Washington does. We know how to clean up a mess without a nanny to show us what to do.
      After 99, the Feds were more a pita than a help, to be honest.
      We've already begun turning first responders away. It's getting too crowded down there.
      Lines are literally backed up for miles at designated donation dropoff points.
      Those evil oil companies have already pledged millions for relief.
      We'll be fine on our own. Just say a prayer for those who are hurting.
      You should care,The National Weather Service did a good job on forecasting the storms of the past few days,The NWS was on the chopping block for Republican budget cuts and did have its budget slashed do you think that's a wise thing? I think we can all agree it was a awful storm and the country grieves for the family's effected.You will need federal aid and I suspect you will get it as the cost could be in the billions. Your Senators who balked at aid for Super Storm Sandy might think twice now. Public safety should be a priority. http://www.salon.com/2013/05/21/how_are_we_cutting_the_weather_service_now/

That's generally not possible here due to geography. We have bedrock just below grade and the water table is only 20 or so feet down. Basements here are very impractical. Very hard to dig and impossible to keep the water out.
    Even if you are in an area where you can dig, the clay soil shifts a lot and basements get wrecked in short order.

Comment

• Another Brick
      Another Brick commented
      Editing a comment

above ground

Possible?  I know it doesn't look like much.

Attached Files

Basements are not possible. Sorry for the omission.

Comment

Possible but very difficult. The ongoing expense of keeping the mold and water out is very high.

http://fox59.com/2013/05/20/why-arent-there-more-basements-in-oklahoma/#axzz2TvwBoriq

Comment

Why did erok feel the need to politicize this thread?

Comment

• BA.Barcolounger
          BA.Barcolounger commented
          Editing a comment

prolurkerguy wrote:

This thread has been deeply ****************ted up. We can keep the politicization and bickering in this thread, in order to keep the "Oklahoma tornado" thread clean. People are behaving themselves in that thread, for the most part.

• thankyou
          thankyou commented
          Editing a comment

prolurkerguy wrote:

Why do you have the insatiable need to comment/gossip about members of the forum, instead of the topic.

Working...
      X