Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watching It Die

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Watching It Die

     

     

    Ever since the conversion to Lithium, I've suspected that one of MF's long term goals is to kill off this forum (despite the fact that it's probably responsible for driving most of the post-conversion traffic to this site).  And while I have nothing against Phil personally, his increasingly heavy hand on the ban hammer has only provided further confirmation of those suspicions.   

    The most vexing part has been watching many here be willing participants in the dismantling of PP.  Ever since Phil's "play nice" edict, some of the more juvenile members (from both sides of the political spectrum) have evidently expanded their game of one-upmanship to reporting others for anything that can be loosely interpreted as a personal slight--which, IMHO, is about the highest form of douchebaggery there is.  Meanwhile, the number of new posts has been dropping substantially as have the number of active forum members.  

    If you want to see where this forum is heading in the not-so-distant future, take a peek at widely touted political forum at The Open Jam, where there's a new post every 8 hours or so.

    This place used be a surprisingly good source of breaking news stories and trends--in addition to being a lot of fun.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found it to be neither for quite some time.  

     

    And it's only bound to get worse.

     


  • #2

    What is it about the Bacon, Jalapenos, Sausage and Cheese thread that you don't like?

    Comment


    • Hoddy
      Hoddy commented
      Editing a comment

      Zig al-din wrote:

      What is it about the Bacon, Jalapenos, Sausage and Cheese thread that you don't like?


      yum

      Looks awesome...doesn't it!!!!

      Attached Files

    • bluzboy
      bluzboy commented
      Editing a comment

      Zig al-din wrote:

      What is it about the Bacon, Jalapenos, Sausage and Cheese thread that you don't like?


       

      I don't like cheese.


  • #3

    Or the "Email from Carnival Cruise Lines!" thread?

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

    Comment


    • #4

      bluzboy wrote:

       

       

      Ever since the conversion to Lithium, I've suspected that one of MF's long term goals is to kill off this forum (despite the fact that it's probably responsible for driving most of the post-conversion traffic to this site).  And while I have nothing against Phil personally, his increasingly heavy hand on the ban hammer has only provided further confirmation of those suspicions.   

      The most vexing part has been watching many here be willing participants in the dismantling of PP.  Ever since Phil's "play nice" edict, some of the more juvenile members (from both sides of the political spectrum) have evidently expanded their game of one-upmanship to reporting others for anything that can be loosely interpreted as a personal slight--which, IMHO, is about the highest form of douchebaggery there is.  Meanwhile, the number of new posts has been dropping substantially as have the number of active forum members.  

      If you want to see where this forum is heading in the not-so-distant future, take a peek at widely touted political forum at The Open Jam, where there's a new post every 8 hours or so.

      This place used be a surprisingly good source of breaking news stories and trends--in addition to being a lot of fun.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found it to be neither for quite some time.  

       

      And it's only bound to get worse.

       


      If the goal is to kill the site, isn't that an almost Rube Goldberesque strategy, considering they own it.




      While she's talking, I'll use my mind to think of other things. She can't stop my mind!

      Comment


      • thankyou
        thankyou commented
        Editing a comment

        Opposite Day wrote:

        If the goal is to kill the site, isn't that an almost Rube Goldberesque strategy, considering they own it.


        Corporations, committees and confusion all mix together to the delight of Rube Goldberg fans everywhere.


      • bluzboy
        bluzboy commented
        Editing a comment

        Opposite Day wrote:

        If the goal is to kill the site, isn't that an almost Rube Goldberesque strategy, considering they own it.


         

        I think you meant to say the "forum."  

        And I don't think so.  For one, I think it's probably viewed as a waste of valuable time and resources.  But if they just shuttered it, there's the risk of having a lot of pissed off ex-forumites running around wreaking various forms of havoc and bad will.  If they slowly strangle it, however, many will simply lose interest and wander off before it collapses under its own weight...which I believe is what we're beginning to see happening right now.


      • bluzboy
        bluzboy commented
        Editing a comment

        Opposite Day wrote:

        If the goal is to kill the site, isn't that an almost Rube Goldberesque strategy, considering they own it.


         

         

        See?  

        I wasn't that far off, after all.


    • #5
      Woe is us.

      Comment


      • Hoddy
        Hoddy commented
        Editing a comment

        I will rule Melody Vine!


    • #6

      bluzboy wrote:

      Ever since the conversion to Lithium, I've suspected that one of MF's long term goals is to kill off this forum (despite the fact that it's probably responsible for driving most of the post-conversion traffic to this site).  And while I have nothing against Phil personally, his increasingly heavy hand on the ban hammer has only provided further confirmation of those suspicions.   

      The most vexing part has been watching many here be willing participants in the dismantling of PP.  Ever since Phil's "play nice" edict, some of the more juvenile members (from both sides of the political spectrum) have evidently expanded their game of one-upmanship to reporting others for anything that can be loosely interpreted as a personal slight--which, IMHO, is about the highest form of douchebaggery there is.  Meanwhile, the number of new posts has been dropping substantially as have the number of active forum members.  

      If you want to see where this forum is heading in the not-so-distant future, take a peek at widely touted political forum at The Open Jam, where there's a new post every 8 hours or so.

      This place used be a surprisingly good source of breaking news stories and trends--in addition to being a lot of fun.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found it to be neither for quite some time. 

      And it's only bound to get worse.


      First, please don't call someone "juvenile" for reporting bad behaviour. 

      Second, I've only reported two people since well before the changeover to this forum software and the only reason I did that was because the people I reported had made pests of themselves. I know this forum can get rough on occasion, heck, I've roughed-up any number of people. But there is a limit between "playing rough" and either being a bully or trolling -- or both. The people who get reported and/or banned have done both, in many posts. One crude remark, I can pass up, but when insults, vulgarity and causing pain become a pattern, that's when reports are filed. 

      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________
      How Come Other People Can Get Away With Jokes Like That?

      Face it Tea Bagging Neo-Cons...if Reagan ran today, you'd be calling him a RINO socialist! -- scott666

      Barack Obama must be kenyan - everytime he speaks they trot a translator out the next day to explain what he said.-- ToBeAnnounced

      And even then some people still don't understand.-- RogueGnome

      Comment


      • #7
        Why don't those of you who are complaining just TRY posting without using personal attacks? Who knows, you might like it!

        Comment


        • Hoddy
          Hoddy commented
          Editing a comment

          prolurkerguy wrote:
          Why don't those of you who are complaining just TRY posting without using personal attacks? Who knows, you might like it!

          Yep...it's not that hard to do.


        • The Badger
          The Badger commented
          Editing a comment

          prolurkerguy wrote:
          Why don't those of you who are complaining just TRY posting without using personal attacks? Who knows, you might like it!

          When was the last time  you saw me launch a "personal attack" against someone that was not in reply to an outrageous statement? And when did you last see me use the kind of profanity and offensive language that's hurled at me?


      • #8

        bluzboy wrote:

         


        This place used be a surprisingly good source of breaking news stories and trends--in addition to being a lot of fun.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I've found it to be neither for quite some time.  


         

        And just what did you suppose the effects would be from butting into other people's conversations calling them pedophiles and anti-semites, and responding to people writing posts about the size of your OP by simply calling it "too long" etc?

         

        I would say these are the effects of that:

         

        - People will call you names in return

        - People will report you because what you did ironically is what they don't want either

        - People get used to not talking about the topic or whatever "sub-topic" is being discussed because "there's too much text".

         

        You and others who have committed to such type of writing are getting exactly what you deserve.

        Comment


        • bluzboy
          bluzboy commented
          Editing a comment

          Sloppy Santa wrote:

          You and others who have committed to such type of writing are getting exactly what you deserve.


           

          I would put it to you that I've only been banned once since the switch, for three days, for saying what I wasn't going to call Oyaji.  I know I've been reported at least once in addition to that, however.  

           

          How many times have you been banned of late, btw? 


      • #9
        Sloppy, there are myriad places on the Internet where you can insult and call names to your heart's content. There's no reason to be so upset that you can't do it here.

        Comment


        • Just Me
          Just Me commented
          Editing a comment

          Phil has already said the trolls have a constitutional right to **************** up the forum if they want, but nobody has a right to tell them they are ****************************s for doing it. Not protected under Phil's hcpp Constitution.

           

           


        • Sloppy Santa
          Sloppy Santa commented
          Editing a comment

          prolurkerguy wrote:
          Sloppy, there are myriad places on the Internet where you can insult and call names to your heart's content. There's no reason to be so upset that you can't do it here.

           

          I'm sure things are tough for you in general when it comes to understanding what people are saying. What I happened to be saying in this thread was that my primary problem was with ****************ty superficial conversations. Sorry if that escaped you.


      • #10
        Phil - if someone lies in a thread title or in their OP, and one of the replies proves that lie to be in fact a lie, you're planning on banning the person who fact check just because they called the liar "a liar"?

        Does that seem logical?

        Comment


        • Daryl Flynn
          Daryl Flynn commented
          Editing a comment

          BA.Barcolounger wrote:
          Phil - if someone lies in a thread title or in their OP, and one of the replies proves that lie to be in fact a lie, you're planning on banning the person who fact check just because they called the liar "a liar"?

          Does that seem logical?

          Say "Your statement is a lie", not "You're a liar"

           

          lol @ people not being able to grasp a simple concept


      • #11
        "liar" is not a personal insult. It is a description of a specific behavior.

        Comment


        • Daryl Flynn
          Daryl Flynn commented
          Editing a comment

          BA.Barcolounger wrote:
          "liar" is not a personal insult. It is a description of a specific behavior.

          lol @ semantics

          "I want to call names, dammit!!!"


      • #12
        The old forum software has trouble with the volume of traffic.

        Many site still use it, but it works best on small and medium size sites.

        Comment


        • #13
          Complain to the op.

          Comment


          • bluzboy
            bluzboy commented
            Editing a comment

            Sloppy Santa wrote:

            bluzboy wrote:

             

            I'm speechless...

            Yumpy's comprehension skills top Sloppy's.

            Who could've seen that coming? 

             

            P.S. I used a marker; you're still using crayons.

             


             

            And you explain not just how what I said was accurate and instead resort to an ad hominem attack.

             

            "Who could've seen that coming? "


             


            Sloppy Santa wrote:

            yumpy wrote:

            Sloppy Santa wrote:

            bluzboy wrote:


            Get over it.  Your analogy was ****************ed up.  There were 1,000,001 ways you could have made your argument.  You went with shoveling Jews into ovens.  At the very least, it was a bad choice.  I pointed that out to you. Move on.


             


            "Coloring; a great tool"

            by bluzboi

             

            nice to see you get with the program!

             

            Before I waste more time I'd love to be proven right in having said you were intelligent.

             

            Yumpy: "you would kick an old white guy in the head, wouldn't you. 

            just jump in and stomp the oppressor. right? 

            haven't heard any denial or condemnation, from you."

             

            Me: "You would put Jews in the oven, wouldn't you?

            After all, "haven't heard any denial or condemnation, from you."

            That's how logic works, right?"

             

            You understand what I'm saying right? I'm saying that just because someone haven't denied or condemned something doesn't mean he is in favour of it, which is what Yumpy implied. It clearly wasn't apparent to Yumpy, but when switching Jews/Old Man and kick/kill it was really ****************ing obvious to everyone.

             

            And then you wrote: "LOL @ your secret desires"

             

            Either you didn't comprehend what I was saying or you were just trying to insult me or piss me off.

             

             

            PS: Rekel was talking about the IDF. Everyone who went back and checked out the conversation saw that clearly.

             

             


            sorry, but NO, it's not the same thing, it is illogical. 

            why the straw man? u could have used puppies or fish. 

            but you went to jews and THAT was obvious to everyone.

            besides, i was pointing out the crass indifference in your post, to what the thread was about,

            or whatever. i don't care.

            but the back peddling is cool. 


            In order of appearance:

             

            - Actually, the reason what I wrote was illogical is because it is based on EXACTLY the same principle as your original comment. That's why I wrote it. Because what I wrote was OBVIOUSLY illogical, and anyone with a brain could compare what I wrote to what you wrote and see the principle was the same; i.e. what you wrote was illogical.

            - "why the straw man"? See here's where people like you paint yourself in a corner; You now say it's a straw man. Well, if it is then using "puppies or fish" changes nothing. It's still a straw man. Substituting those changes nothing. And if this is the way things work for you then NO analogy will ever be anything other than a straw man. But suppose you are right. Suppose I could have used "puppies" instead. And suppose it then would have been "valid". That only means that it wasn't the way I structured the sentence (like you did) or the point of the statement in and by itself (like yours) that was a problem, just that the "objects" used weren't to your liking, right? And that means that my point in and by itself was actually correct, i.e. logical ! Make up your mind.

            - Yes, I went to "jews" and that was obvious to everyone WHICH WAS THE POINT!!! The point of using many WWII analogies is because those events are morally unambiguous. Let me restate that so it sinks in: Nobody with average or above average intelligence and moral compass will think the Holocaust was anything but entirely evil. Get it? I think it was entirely evil, you do and so does Bluzboi and pretty much everyone else on the forum. By substituting YOUR example's specific "objects" and "actions" it was clear exactly why your example was illogical.

            - You don't care so very much you took the time to respond. And no, you weren't pointing out a crass indifference in my post. There's no back peddling [sic].


             


            Sloppy Santa wrote:
            Complain to the op.

             

            LOL @ the collected works of Sloppy.

            I'm offended that you consistently misspell my forum name.  It appears to be a gay slur.  My feelings are hurt...and you know what that means. Gee...I never realized how much fun this **************** could be.

            You're the gift that won't/can't stop giving. 

             

            Serious question:  How fast do you type? I bet you move like lightning on that keyboard.

             

            P.S. Rekel clearly said that annihilating Israelis "sounds like a great idea "  

            Backpedal it all you want, pal.  But "everyone" clearly understood his intent (except for you and perhaps Zig at the time), all your tears and whining notwithstanding.

             


        • #14
          It can also be useful to those of us who would prefer to avoid being subjected to lies, bigotry, and stupidity.
          x

          Comment


          • #15
            You can cut photos out here too.

            Comment


            • bluzboy
              bluzboy commented
              Editing a comment

               

               

              Well, I'll be...

              It is possible.

              I could swear I tried that several times before without any success.

               

              I haven't tried it in a while, though.

              Good work, Dendy! 

               

               



          Working...
          X