How do I get my band's cd reviewed?!?

• Members

So i'm trying to get some press for my band. We recently released a digital cd on Itunes, Rhapsody and Amazon.com. We don't have pressed copies because we're poor at the moment but we still would like to get legit reviews of the cd. Any suggestions where to go?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Buy yourself a copy of the Indie Bible and start sending CD's to every 'zine and website that deals with your type of music, and *maybe* you will get a review or two. Oh.... You don't actually have any CDs... In that case you're probably gonna have to stick garageband.com or some other such musician's circle-jerk review site...

• Members

So i'm trying to get some press for my band. We recently released a digital cd on Itunes, Rhapsody and Amazon.com. We don't have pressed copies because we're poor at the moment but we still would like to get legit reviews of the cd. Any suggestions where to go?

You might be able to contact a few members of the local press and send them physical or digital copies of the cd. Technically, you don't need 300-500 cds in order to be reviewed. You can have 25 copies that you send to the right press outlets and proceed from there.

• Members

So then there's your answer right there:

Your current product doesn't look professional enough. So you need to look at having a product developed. It isn't as tough as it sounds. You've probably got friends (or friends thereof) who know their way around Adobe Photoshop. You can download CD booklet templates from the internet and design to your hearts content.

For CD's, most areas have someone who distributes media packages. These companies will usually design presentations for larger companies around town. They're like a privately owned FedEx/Kinko's. The CD doesn't have to be elaborate, it just has to have the pertinent information i.e. band name, contact info, etc.

It's easier than it seems.

• Members

I actually run a graphic design business and have a layout done for an entire CD by one of the companies I work for. It just sucks when you have no money to get the damn thing pressed and most places won't do like a handful. They have a 500 minimum. So for the time being, i'm trying to find site that will review digital formats. If they don't exist, I guess I just have to be patient and save up some cash.

• Members

I also spent 67 bucks getting the cheap looking versions of our CD inserts made at Office Depot.

I'd look for a software program that allows you to print and press your own cd art. I had one a few years back and it was relatively cheap. The only thing that will really cost you is the price of ink. But if you're only printing nice labels and artwork for cds being sent out to press outlets, you have a better chance of saving money. Save the burned cd-rs for your fans at shows and be prepared to deliver a more professional package to press and industry people.

• Members

You might be able to contact a few members of the local press and send them physical or digital copies of the cd. Technically, you don't need 300-500 cds in order to be reviewed. You can have 25 copies that you send to the right press outlets and proceed from there.

:thu: +1

Local press has been huge for my band. They are usually normal people like you and me working there, but they have distributions in the 10's of thousands sometimes.

• Members

Whoa! 25 cds made? That's a super short run order. What place did this for you?

DWM Music.

Of course, they're about 5 bucks each, and I usually have 50-100 if I need short runs now-they're about $2.50-4.00 each. But that included jewel case, printing, and shrink wrap.

• Members

Like some others have said, having some physical copies to distribute to media outlets is necessary, especially the print dailies and weeklies.

However, in addition to local promotion, my band sent press releases to 250 (or so) 'blogs through e-mail concerning our new release. The e-mail read like a one-sheet and had direct downloads to all four songs on the EP. Thus far (it's not even out yet), I haven't seen anyone review the EP, but a couple of dozen ran our press release and that's really all we were going for. The press clippings are nice, but I really just need people to see the product and get our mp3's circulating.

We got some print media to accept a digital press release, though. We marketed the idea as "green" promotion...

• Members

Like some others have said, having some physical copies to distribute to media outlets is necessary, especially the print dailies and weeklies.

However, in addition to local promotion, my band sent press releases to 250 (or so) 'blogs through e-mail concerning our new release. The e-mail read like a one-sheet and had direct downloads to all four songs on the EP. Thus far (it's not even out yet), I haven't seen anyone review the EP, but a couple of dozen ran our press release and that's really all we were going for. The press clippings are nice, but I really just need people to see the product and get our mp3's circulating.

We got some print media to accept a digital press release, though. We marketed the idea as "green" promotion...

That's a smart plan right there, though I will say it's preferable for them to actually comment on the CD itself so you have some impact statements to quote in your promo.

Your horn always sounds sweeter when someone else is blowing it!

• Members

I've found that many music blogs can be extremely biased in their coverage and sometimes complete snobs about who they choose to cover (ie they write about their friends' bands and that's about it). Nonetheless, which music blogs did you find most receptive to your ep?

• Members

I suppose it would depend on the blog. If you are a metal band, you wouldn't want to send it to a bluegrass/americana blog. And some blogs, I know the kind you speak of, are really just doing their job as indie bloggers. If they have a reputation for being favorable to euro-trash, and you send them a bluegrass CD or a prog-metal CD, you are kind of asking to get trashed if you get reviewed at all, minus the $4 for the CD you sent.

Plus+ Plus+ on capitalizing on all this "Green" stuff. Offset the footprint by giving Al Gore's mining company money to plant a tree.

• Members

Whoa! 25 cds made? That's a super short run order. What place did this for you?

Ahem.

I'm gonna say this one more time...

Here you will find what you seek, grasshopper:

http://www.kunaki.com/

They have a fully automated factory and will make runs as short as a *single* CD. Free bar-code, jewel case, shrink-wrapped, full color on disk printing, full color back, and full color one page insert. Their current price is $1.75 per CD.

I used them for my last release, and the CD's look fantastic.

Now... don't make me repeat myself again.

:cop:

:lol:

• Members

I've found that many music blogs can be extremely biased in their coverage and sometimes complete snobs about who they choose to cover (ie they write about their friends' bands and that's about it). Nonetheless, which music blogs did you find most receptive to your ep?

Oh, absolutely!

Somebody like Stereogum receives hundreds of e-mails from publicists a day. Believe me, the bigger names are no less industry-saturated or corporate than national magazines.

A band like mine, especially doing all of our promotion, isn't going to get a whiff at anything like that. Our targets were probably half regional blogs, while the other half were high circulation blogs for the hell of it. Regional stuff was definitely more receptive, but some people are just into having free mp3's to post. It's been kind of weird.

I notice most sites I read post about bands who tour and we're not there at the moment. I definitely have a plan for promotion if we ever do end up traveling...

• Members

Oh, absolutely!

Somebody like Stereogum receives hundreds of e-mails from publicists a day. Believe me, the bigger names are no less industry-saturated or corporate than national magazines.

A band like mine, especially doing all of our promotion, isn't going to get a whiff at anything like that. Our targets were probably half regional blogs, while the other half were high circulation blogs for the hell of it. Regional stuff was definitely more receptive, but some people are just into having free mp3's to post. It's been kind of weird.

I notice most sites I read post about bands who tour and we're not there at the moment. I definitely have a plan for promotion if we ever do end up traveling...

Sounds like you guys had a solid marketing plan and strategy though. My band is working on doing something similar over the next couple months. The problem is, most press outlets won't cover you unless you have an album or ep out. I feel there's this kind of unsaid or covert pressure to release albums and eps...simply because it allows one to gain attention in the press and media.

Archived