Whose ever done a small scale local music festival?

• Members

Me and like two other bands want to do one here and the only thing that's confusing me is this.

I know I'm going to need a huge area, a permit haha, electricity (lots), but what else.

My idea is to have two stages and bands playing at the same time or something. I thought it'll be a good idea to start having our local scene be more prominent.

I've never done one, would like to do one. So...lol.

• Members

With sponsors, you can buy the insurance. They'll require security, so budget for that. The city will also want their cut for permits and providing police and emergency personel and trash removal, so budget for that too. Whatever you think it will cost, triple it, then hit the bricks looking for sponsors. Are you in Charleston? I don't remember what you told me before. That would be a tough town to set up something like that. Much easier in a small town. Consider moving it to Summerville or Goose Creek, perhaps McLellanville, some nearby town that is jealous of Charleston, where the Chamber and city will be more enthusiastic about working with you.

• Members

In addition to what's already been said, you'll need to hire security, and you'll need adequate sanitation facilities. You'll also find that having an experienced stage manager helps a lot. You may need to post a bond against damage to the venue, as well.

• Members

so i guess my first thing to do is get sponsors.

That means ask politely to some people. Email? or In Person? And of course it'll have to be music stores or even venues. Venues barely do Battle of The Bands and even then it's no one people want to see. Secruity, i'll worry about that later down the line.

How would i find a stage manager? Oh yea, i'll definitely move it to Summerville or Goose Creek. Downtown would be killer costly.

• Members

Instead of trying to have two bands play at the same time on separate stages, why not have two stages but stagger the time slots? Depending on the backline situation, you could have one backlined stage and one not, for bands that are coming in with their full drum/amp rigs. Or one minimally-equipped stage for acoustic and solo acts, and the "full" stage for those bands that need it.

Definitely start looking for sponsors early. I've played a few local/regional metal festivals, and am constantly amazed that the organizers don't look for sponsors (especially for equipment) until it's too late to put something together.

• Members

so i guess my first thing to do is get sponsors.

That means ask politely to some people. Email? or In Person? And of course it'll have to be music stores or even venues. Venues barely do Battle of The Bands and even then it's no one people want to see. Secruity, i'll worry about that later down the line.

How would i find a stage manager? Oh yea, i'll definitely move it to Summerville or Goose Creek. Downtown would be killer costly.

Wrong. That's backwards. You need to get quotes on security, insurance, permits, portapotis, PAs, staff, promotion, flyers, band fees, and other things. Then you total that number. If it's $5000, then assume $15,000 will be the real cost.

THEN you go looking for sponsors, because then you have a target dollar amount. Break it up into "packages" where $1000 gets you a banner on the main stage, logo on 500 flyers, and logo on beer cups. $500 gets your logo on all flyers, and beer cups. Or whatever, you just need a starting dollar amount for all the projected expenses times 3. Then divide it up creatively with different packages to sell to sponsors.

• Members

If you end up having alcohol at the event that opens up another entire bottle of safety restrictions and costs. To be honest you might be better off renting a small building (AKA highschool gymnasium, church, VFW hall and having a stage outside (under a tent) and one inside. Good luck!

• Members

ooooo wow!

hmm. Then i guess the second idea is going to have to come into play.

Rent a large room and then do one band at a time.

haha, i hate SC.

Any other ideas.

One thing I learned after the semi-fiasco of my event is you've got to have the right finances to throw any big event. Why? Because money talks...big time. If my organization had the funds to throw the event in its fullest capacity, we would have done everything ourselves. If you and any other important decision makers can gather the money to throw your event, everything should be smooth sailing. I would highly advocate saving your money and doing almost everything yourself. You could easily rent out the conference room of a local hotel chain, move in a PA and some mics, and have a show. As for getting acts...if you build it, they will come :thu:

• Members

You could easily rent out the conference room of a local hotel chain, move in a PA and some mics, and have a show. As for getting acts...if you build it, they will come
:thu:

Yea, i think this is going to be my choice.

There's this Embassy Suites we have that has like various rooms varying from small conference rooms to HUGE reception halls and i've looked at prices and some are not bad. So i think i'm going to do this. And talk to bands in the area and then look at bands (small bands that would of course do it for free haha) i like and look at their tour and see how they would fit with the schedule. I think it'll be a fun thing to do.

i'll tell of my progress!

• Members

You're getting some good info here -- if you do this yourself, it will be a lot of work. I've done several of these here in the Keys (our Seafood Festival with loads of live music is this weekend), and they're never easy.

If you're on good terms with a local club, get them to co-sponsor the event with you. They can provide the venue, food, drink, and insurance (under their existing commercial liability policy); you provide the music. Team up on advertising and promotion, and work out some sort of fair split of proceeds to ensure you (& the bands) get paid. Plus, if it's indoors, there are no worries about a rain date.

Good luck!

• Members

Yea, i think this is going to be my choice.

There's this Embassy Suites we have that has like various rooms varying from small conference rooms to HUGE reception halls and i've looked at prices and some are not bad. So i think i'm going to do this. And talk to bands in the area and then look at bands (small bands that would of course do it for free haha) i like and look at their tour and see how they would fit with the schedule. I think it'll be a fun thing to do.

i'll tell of my progress!

Sounds like a smart option

• Members

insurance (under their existing commercial liability policy)

how does the whole insurance thing work out. That's the only thing that is confusing/worrying me. Everything else, i know i can(could lol) do.

My first thing i'm doing is. Getting location (embassy suites). Unfortunately, i don't have friends in venues (i should). The next thing i'm doing my concern is about secruity off-duty prices, PA/Sound System prices (or may know someone), and sponsors, and date.

Standard8 I LOVE the idea for 'packages' for sponsors. That'll make me sound so professional!! I wonder if that's how they do it. So three questions.

Insurance?

Do i Need To Hire a Sound Guy?

Should I approach big businesses for sponsors AND local businesses or just Local businesses?

after those answers i SHOULD be ready for my adventure.

• Members

Insurance?

Do i Need To Hire a Sound Guy?

Should I approach big businesses for sponsors AND local businesses or just Local businesses?

I think the first thing you should do is define an objective for your event. Do you want to make money off of this? If so, how much? Or do you just want to build up a reputation and visibility within your local music scene? That can be done for very little if not free. I'm not sure what your objective is, but I would rent out the conference at embassy suites, get a pa (either rent it or borrow one), get some of the musicians who know something about live sound to help you run the rig, and proceed from there. Are you serving alcohol? Because I think that's where the insurance stuff may come into play.

• Members

my objective:

bring some light to the local music scene nothing else. ALCOHOL? Oh NO! The only thing going to be served is water. lol.

The setup in my head is this in a nutshell.

A huge rectangular room at the embassysuites. One end is the door to get in, and on the FAR other end is the stage with PA. Running along side on both sides of the length of the room are the merch tables for all the bands playing. Right by the door or maybe in the middle of the room is a place to buy water bottles for something to drink and that's it (for now). It's simple, and many people can get in b/c that doesn't take alot of space.

I'm thinking 15 min set. 4-5 songs for each band is perfect. If everything goes to plan and fun process of getting bands starts. I'm thinking like 12 - 20 bands playing.

• Members

If you're going to use a hotel banquet room, be sure to check with the hotel on any noise restrictions. I've been at wedding receptions in some of those places and had the hotel complain about the jazz band being too loud! I can only imagine their enthusiasm for having 12-20 rock bands.

Maybe the suggestion of using a local bar on an off night would work out best.

• Members

I'm thinking 15 min set. 4-5 songs for each band is perfect. If everything goes to plan and fun process of getting bands starts. I'm thinking like 12 - 20 bands playing.

Sounds like a sweaty and disgusting band orgy and car crash all at the same time. I wouldn't do it. That's TOO MANY bands. Who's gonna help these guys move their gear in and out quick enough so things run smoothly? Moreover, what crowd wants to watch 12-20 bands? Is this Waynestock with Wayne and Garth mc'ing.

You mentioned that you wanted to dip into booking and promotions. Have 3 or 4 really good bands play your show. Give the audience something free or cheap so they remember your organization. Your firm's name needs to be attached to this event. In the case that this is a successful show, fans will remember who you are and bands will want to work with you in the future. In between set breaks, play your exclusive remixes and songs.

• Members

yea, i know the cost of the rooms. They're pretty affordable. Like off the top of my head 300-500 at the most!

i'm going to talk to some venues that would be interested. That means i nor sponsors would have to pay jack nothing.

Okay. okay. 25-30 min. 5-6 songs. give extra time for setup. But i mean. I've been to shows where there were like 6 bands playing and each could only do 4-5songs. But i guess this is better. I think i was thinking TOO BIG of a scale when it's something i just want to start with. B/c i know some festivals have 2 or more stages with 20-30 min sets going on at the same time.

But i also don't think i said this either. I want to have this on a saturday from like 12-5ish.

i'm going over to embassy today to ask those questions.

• Members

Approaching any sound company or house engineer with the idea of running sound for upwards of a dozen bands over the course of an afternoon is gonna' result in a lot of unreturned calls. I appreciate your ambition, but you're being totally unrealistic.

• Members

If you want to do the many band thing, I would say 8 bands tops, and give them 30-45 min per set. Some all out speed punk or metal bands, or other high intensity crazy bands with short songs would be cool with 20 minute sets, but most other bands won't think it is worth it.

12-20 bands and sets that short is too much unless these bands have very minimal equipment and short songs. Remember, these 15-20 bands also have to put their equipment somewhere. With set times that short, the majority of the time will be spent setting up and taking down equipment.

Also, where in the world would you get 20 bands? I know a lot of people in bands and have played music for years and I would have a hard time getting 20 quality bands together for a festival.

I have played at festivals that ran all day and had that many bands (still, probably not 20), but usually they were very underground and experimental things, like in old warehouses, abandoned train stations, etc, and the people involved didn't care what happened to the space and the groups involved were all experimental and played short sets.

For standard rock or indie rock, you are going to have to let the bands play longer, or no one is going to be into it unless they are just desperate for anything they can get (read: not that great of a band).

For something like this, I would just rent a PA (or find one of the bands that has one and will let you use it) and have someone who knows a little about how to run a mixing board do the sound (or a couple people switching off). With a small PA in a hall, it really isn't that complicated.

• Members

If you want to do the many band thing, I would say 8 bands tops, and give them 30-45 min per set. Some all out speed punk or metal bands, or other high intensity crazy bands with short songs would be cool with 20 minute sets, but most other bands won't think it is worth it.

12-20 bands and sets that short is too much unless these bands have very minimal equipment and short songs. Remember, these 15-20 bands also have to put their equipment somewhere. With set times that short, the majority of the time will be spent setting up and taking down equipment.

Also, where in the world would you get 20 bands? I know a lot of people in bands and have played music for years and I would have a hard time getting 20 quality bands together for a festival.

I have played at festivals that ran all day and had that many bands (still, probably not 20), but usually they were very underground and experimental things, like in old warehouses, abandoned train stations, etc, and the people involved didn't care what happened to the space and the groups involved were all experimental and played short sets.

For standard rock or indie rock, you are going to have to let the bands play longer, or no one is going to be into it unless they are just desperate for anything they can get (read: not that great of a band).

For something like this, I would just rent a PA (or find one of the bands that has one and will let you use it) and have someone who knows a little about how to run a mixing board do the sound (or a couple people switching off). With a small PA in a hall, it really isn't that complicated.

+50 :thu:

• Members

If you're not looking at this as a money maker, make it an event that not only gets you some exposure, but does some good for a 'cause'. Your local animal shelter, your local food bank, MS Society, etc. There are a million worthy causes that could use your help. Go down that route and have it outdoors. Your chosen charity or non-profit group could be the recipient of any proceeds, as well as having their cause publicized. Charge a very modest fee for admission. Of course the weather is always an unknown variable in the equation, but a tent to play under is a nominal expense. If you are organizing a festival, it seems to me like outdoors is definitely the way to go. I bet you'll find local merchants, food vendors, music stores, etc. will all be happy to chip in and help out however they can. Get a guy that does mobile bar-b-cue catering to come and promote his catering business. Mmm, smell them ribs? Turn it into a community event. Everyone benefits because they are sponsors for a common good cause. And you get the spotlight too ~

One stage, bands all afternoon, contests, door prizes that were donated, man, you could rock with this thing ~

It's a win/win. Whaddya think?

• Members

haha thanx guys i know exactly what you guys mean. But...okay take this. Otaypanky, yea I'm definitely going to incorporate some of those ideas.

I want some of you guys to look at this example.

www.myspace.com/thirdstringproductions

What they're doing is 4 Stages. 42 Bands. ALL HUGE on the indie level and it runs from 3-11. Now look at the set times for bands. If you look at the set times for the bands on the page you'll see that it ranges from 20-30 min with all four stages going on at the same time.

I'm definitely not aiming that big haha. But my goal is to have 2 Stages. 20 Bands..

If i am being mistaken though, i would pay the bands from tickets lol. I'm hoping yall don't think i'm doing it for free lol.

In my mind and people i've talked with. 4-8 bands would honestly be like a regular show. Which leads to my next thing, I'm actually going to try and contact the right person. I'm going to think big. And see how big i can get it. It's definitely going to be a community thing. I'm going to see if i call the actual city or something and see if they want to get involved. It's definitely going to be outdoors now. There's this perfect area downtown that alot of stuff happens at. But I need to see whose in charge of that area and call them and the city.

Keep the comments coming lol

Archived