Unorthodox Promotion

• Members

Let's talk tricks to pull in the music biz. Not necessisarily /illegal/ or /unethical/, persay, but more along the lines of unorthodox and subversive.

For example, crashing another band's gig to sell your own merch and discs. Publicity is publicity you know, and in this dog-eat-dog world of the internet and ruthless self promotion, I'm surprised that more artists aren't embracing this technique.

Another example, popping into local music stores with homemade CD displays, you drop it off on the counter and you're golden. After all, droplifting isn't illegal, you know, yet, anyway.

Alright, third, guerrilla gigging. This is literally the greatest thing a band can do, in my opinion. In a guerrilla environment, you learn so many things about your band-members it blows a mind. Not to mention it's essentially glorified busking.

• Members

After all, droplifting isn't illegal, you know, yet, anyway.

actually - it could be in some areas

(quicky example)

3-103 Posting Advertisements on Walls, Fences, Poles, Etc., Without Permission.

It shall be unlawful for any person within the corporate limits of the City of Rock Springs to print, paint, write, mark, or in any way post up any notice, card, advertisement, or other device, upon any wall, fence, tree, post, building, structure, bridge, hydrant, electric light poles, trash cans, sidewalks, or other property or cause the same to be done, without permission of the owner or agent thereof, or of the Mayor, if upon public property. (Ord. No. 21, Sec. 9, 8-12-04; 13-3, Rev. Ord. 1938; Rev. Ord. 1963)

• Members

actually - it could be in some areas

(quicky example)

3-103 Posting Advertisements on Walls, Fences, Poles, Etc., Without Permission.

It shall be unlawful for any person within the corporate limits of the City of Rock Springs to print, paint, write, mark, or in any way post up any notice, card, advertisement, or other device, upon any wall, fence, tree, post, building, structure, bridge, hydrant, electric light poles, trash cans, sidewalks, or other property or cause the same to be done, without permission of the owner or agent thereof, or of the Mayor, if upon public property. (Ord. No. 21, Sec. 9, 8-12-04; 13-3, Rev. Ord. 1938; Rev. Ord. 1963)

Oh come on, that's just technical: it's not like anybody /really/ gives a crap. It's like jaywalking, or pissing on the side of the road.

• Members

Oh come on, that's just technical: it's not like anybody /really/ gives a crap. It's like jaywalking, or pissing on the side of the road.

ceptin course the store owner with a bunch of crap cluttering up his store :D

hey, you were the one to specify "Not necessisarily /illegal/ or /unethical/ and to mention "droplifting" as legal

hmmm, then again...jaywalking

yeah how that is enforced depends on where you are too

I'm up in Seattle

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/118788_jaywalk23.html

• Members

ceptin course the store owner with a bunch of crap cluttering up his store
:D

hey, you were the one to specify
"Not necessisarily /illegal/ or /unethical/
and to mention "droplifting" as legal

hmmm, then again...jaywalking

yeah how that is enforced depends on where you are too

I'm up in Seattle

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/118788_jaywalk23.html

Alright, if you think about it, in a properly executed droplifting scenario, everybody wins. The artist gets free promotion, the seller gets cash, and the buyer gets cultured. Moreover, the vast majority of workers at retail establisments are sheep that would nary realize nor care that an unauthorized product had appeared on the shelves.

Moreover, I'm from Seattle as well and if anything, you ought to be more hip than siding with "The Man" concerning trivial crimes and transgressions. Direct action, culture jamming, all that, dig it. :freak:

• Members

Athens GA takes their flyer laws very seriously. They have cops whose sole job is "code enforcement" and any flyer hung up where it isn't supposed to be, the cop WILL show up at the show and write a $100 ticket for every single flyer posted illegally. I've seen it. People learn fast when you get Draconian on them. The time I saw the cop show up he cut a deal with the band, he wouldn't write them 50 individual tickets, if they went out, RIGHT THEN, under supervision, stopped the show, and go take them all down. And that's what they did.

• Members

Alright, if you think about it, in a properly executed droplifting scenario, everybody wins. The artist gets free promotion, the seller gets cash, and the buyer gets cultured. Moreover, the vast majority of workers at retail establisments are sheep that would nary realize nor care that an unauthorized product had appeared on the shelves.

There's always the P word

Moreover, I'm from Seattle as well and if anything, you ought to be more hip than siding with "The Man" concerning trivial crimes and transgressions.

The comment wasn't about siding with anybody -- you asked about things that werent illegal and stated that "droplifting" wasn't

you ought to be more hip than to think "but I wanna!!!" is the same as "legal"

:p

Direct action, culture jamming, all that, dig it. :freak:

Thatd be more a "what ideas are there that have suitable risk exposure to me, KennethNishimot" type thing thing

that's a different question (valid, but different), dig it :freak:

• Moderators

Ummmm...really, most retailers will take your 'display' and deposit it unceremoniously in the dumpster out back. What do you gain by essentially putting a stack of your CDs in the trash? Free promotion to dumpster divers?

I have a feeling you have not attempted this as yet...:rolleyes:

• Members

Athens GA takes their flyer laws very seriously. They have cops whose sole job is "code enforcement" and any flyer hung up where it isn't supposed to be, the cop WILL show up at the show and write a $100 ticket for every single flyer posted illegally. I've seen it. People learn fast when you get Draconian on them. The time I saw the cop show up he cut a deal with the band, he wouldn't write them 50 individual tickets, if they went out, RIGHT THEN, under supervision, stopped the show, and go take them all down. And that's what they did.

Are you serious? What constitutes an illegally hung flyer?

• Members

Are you serious? What constitutes an illegally hung flyer?

ANy private property where the owner doesn't give consent and anything public/government-owned like lamp posts, parking meters, telephone poles and the like, except specifically designated kiosks (2 on College Ave)

And this sighting happened at Chapel about 6 months ago.

• Members

I think the movie "Airheads" had the right idea. Here's a synopsis of the movie for those not familiar with it.

"Wayne's World" meets "Dog Day Afternoon." Silly farce has three metal heads (Buscemi, Fraser, Sandler) holding a radio station hostage in order to get their demo tape played. Events snowball and they receive instant fame. Cast and crew rich with subversive comedic talents, including Sandler and Farley from "Saturday Night Live."

John:freak:

• Members

I think the movie "Airheads" had the right idea. Here's a synopsis of the movie for those not familiar with it.

"Wayne's World" meets "Dog Day Afternoon." Silly farce has three metal heads (Buscemi, Fraser, Sandler) holding a radio station hostage in order to get their demo tape played. Events snowball and they receive instant fame. Cast and crew rich with subversive comedic talents, including Sandler and Farley from "Saturday Night Live."

John:freak:

I told myself "This is the last click of the night, it's bedtime, make a wise click" and here we are. I must say, I'm very disappointed.

• Members

the buyer gets cultured.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

If by 'cultured' you mean the new owner of 50 minutes of poorly produced, poorly performed and poorly written dreck that no on is waiting for, then, yeah I suppose so. That's what about 90% of the DIY stuff I've heard is.

• Members

Lets see living in Seattle how about the human billboard. Be creative on what you place on the bums but offer them a bottle of wine to walk around as a human billboard for your next show. Imagine bum asking for spare change while promoting your band. He will get more change as people stop in wonderment along with the wine from you a win win proposal?

Look for where local bands that sound like you are playing show up about an hour and half preshow and start setting up. When asked what you are doing tell them you are setting up for the show. They tell you that you aren't on the bill and in your most sincere voice you ask to speak to the person in charge of booking because you have it jotted down right here (Make sure to have it jotted down). Sometimes people will just shake it off and you just got yourself an opening gig.

These are 2 of Spellboxes secret commando tips you can find the other 10 of this set at http://blog.timelineonline.org/2007/09/spellboxs-12-secret-commando-tips.html

• Members

ANy private property where the owner doesn't give consent and anything public/government-owned like lamp posts, parking meters, telephone poles and the like, except specifically designated kiosks (2 on College Ave)

And this sighting happened at Chapel about 6 months ago.

Thats one thing I can't stand about UGA. They use the "vibrant" local music scene as leverage to get more students to come to Athens, but they do nothing to contribute to the music scene. You can barely flyer on campus.

• Moderators

Lets see living in Seattle how about the human billboard. Be creative on what you place on the bums but offer them a bottle of wine to walk around as a human billboard for your next show. Imagine bum asking for spare change while promoting your band. He will get more change as people stop in wonderment along with the wine from you a win win proposal?

careful, if this is successful, you might have to 1099 the homeless guys...:rolleyes:

Archived