Just witnessed a new business model in practice tonight...

• Members

I've got some friends in town who started a small record label a couple of years ago. Some of their bands have done really well nationally and have been passed off to imprints with better distribution, others have released solid albums and continue to do well in state. Basically, my friends have done a great service for our local music scene and haven't spread themselves too thin in the process.

Anyway, they've got a new band they've been working with for almost a year. They're a nine-piece chamber pop band comprised of a couple people who used to play in national bands along with a couple of family members and a few close friends. Just a bunch of late twentysomethings singing great sing-a-longs that have been really well received around town. Tonight, they released a new EP to coincide with a trip to SXSW in a week or so...

However, instead of the label fronting the money and releasing the EP traditionally, a local burrito shop coughed up the recording and manufacturing costs in exchange for exclusive right to distribute the EP for free at the five, or so, restaurant locations for one month and three exclusive performances by the band over the month.

I guess it's the Starbucks model, but were not exactly talking about Paul McCartney and the world's largest coffee chain. This is a hot Denver local act and a small Colorado franchise...

Well, does it work? The release show was tonight and I estimate more than 300 people showed up in a place designed to seat maybe 40. It was so jam packed, it spilled into the sidewalk and the street. The band played for 45 minutes, everyone got a free CD, drank beer and cocktails, and ate burritos. Everyone went crazy, cheering inside and outside. Too perfect if you ask me...

Is this sort of cross marketing business plan the future of releasing recorded music? As traditional record label have less and less to spend on bands, we might see more of this. It appeared to be a complete success for both sides to me...

Here's the band if anyone's interested. The new EP is really good: http://www.myspace.com/heartsofpalmband

• Members

Sounds interesting.

The one thing I wonder about with any model, is how effective will it be once everyone starts doing it and it becomes as common as white bread?

I remember about 14 years ago when some of the local clubs here went to the four band a night all original format and it was new and fresh. Clubs were packed, because now you could see four times the bands for the price of one, bands could get exposed to all new audiences, and it was a win win for everyone. Now, it's like pulling teeth to get a crowd.

The other thing I notice about this is that it isn't your typical 4 piece drop D rock band, but something totally different.

Still, it's cool someone is trying something.

• Members

I actually like this due to the term based exclusive deal. Basically the band is getting the album produced and mastered for the cost of 1 month during which time the burrito place is marketing them locally. At the end of that month the band will have a start on the marketing of that album and full rights to the masters.

Is this the future no I think it may be a good option but the future of the music industry is infinite in scope while at the same time can be boiled down to 1 sentence. "Future of Music is the customization by musicians, based on personal goals and tastes, of their music careers."

Another aspect of the future is fan participation, but will all successful musicians take this path I hope most but I don't think all.

• Members

It's all about niche marketing. This is a great example of where it will all go. Sponsorship...

But don't you ever get this feeling that things just move in cycles? This may be a budding business model now, but soon things will move full cycle and to a point in which the models emulate the music business of yesteryear. It will just be a bigger and more improved version.

• Members

I think that this smaller model is the ideal way to go, which of course will be basterdized and brutalized in the future, but this seems to be benefitting everyone.

Band gets the money to record + someone else helping with marketing

Resturaunt gets great publicity and involvement in community events

Audience gets BURRITO'S and a local place that they can become more familiar with, if they weren't already.

duh... burrito's and rock and roll go hand in hand like cookies and milk. 'cept right before you go on stage. definitely an after-gig delight.

• Members

I've got some friends in town who started a small record label a couple of years ago. Some of their bands have done really well nationally and have been passed off to imprints with better distribution, others have released solid albums and continue to do well in state. Basically, my friends have done a great service for our local music scene and haven't spread themselves too thin in the process.

Anyway, they've got a new band they've been working with for almost a year. They're a nine-piece chamber pop band comprised of a couple people who used to play in national bands along with a couple of family members and a few close friends. Just a bunch of late twentysomethings singing great sing-a-longs that have been really well received around town. Tonight, they released a new EP to coincide with a trip to SXSW in a week or so...

However, instead of the label fronting the money and releasing the EP traditionally, a local burrito shop coughed up the recording and manufacturing costs in exchange for exclusive right to distribute the EP for free at the five, or so, restaurant locations for one month and three exclusive performances by the band over the month.

I guess it's the Starbucks model, but were not exactly talking about Paul McCartney and the world's largest coffee chain. This is a hot Denver local act and a small Colorado franchise...

Well, does it work? The release show was tonight and I estimate more than 300 people showed up in a place designed to seat maybe 40. It was so jam packed, it spilled into the sidewalk and the street. The band played for 45 minutes, everyone got a free CD, drank beer and cocktails, and ate burritos. Everyone went crazy, cheering inside and outside. Too perfect if you ask me...

Is this sort of cross marketing business plan the future of releasing recorded music? As traditional record label have less and less to spend on bands, we might see more of this. It appeared to be a complete success for both sides to me...

Here's the band if anyone's interested. The new EP is really good:

seems like a good idea, indeed it's a good deal for the band.

P.S. that band is bitchin'! Can't stop listening to listen to their songs

• Members

seems like a good idea, indeed it's a good deal for the band.

P.S. that band is bitchin'! Can't stop listening to listen to their songs

I second that. I think the key to the success of a deal like that is you have to have a great band, otherwise it wouldn't work so well. These guys sound like they must be amazing live. Makes me wish I were at that buritto shop. I think the key is the sing-along aspect of their music--I bet it really keeps the crowd engaged.

Archived