staring down the barrel of a major label deal...

germs

• Members

I'm freaking out, man!

This particular label, who shall remain nameless just in case this doesn't go through, has obtained a copy of our self-released CD. This is through an admittedly strange yet fortunate series of events. It involves favors curried and phoned in, weeks of being left in the dark, and an overall feeling of anticipation, acid reflux, and general uneasiness.

Essentially, a friend of myself and my band (who also works for the same company I do) was riding to a job location with another employee for a few weeks as it was out of town. My friend lets the guy listen to the CD on a lark and guess what, he loved it!

I get a phone call from the guy at work and he ASKS my permission to give the CD to a guy he knows to listen to who may be able to get us some shows in a local metro area (at the big clubs). I say yeah, sure (!) whatever you can do to help will always be appreciated. I figured I would have to buy this guy a few beers as a thanks and show him the rock and roll lifestyle for a night. You know, the usual... Well, he calls me back a few days later and tells me that he has a family member who has forged a few friends in the industry over the years being a successful nightclub owner. This, he explains, is how he can get us good shows.

Again, he ASKS permission to give the CD to his family member to pass on to the record labels (!). I say yeah, sure (!), whatever you can do to help us out...you know the rest. He calls me again, asking me if we, as a band, are sure we want this to happen, because this is hard lifestyle to lead. I explain to him that this is what we've been working towards for the last four years as a band, releasing two albums, numerous EP's, and playing countless shows. He says okay, and he'll be in touch.

Now my suspicions are up, and I ask him the golden question: "What's in this for you?" And he replies: "Nothing man, just trying to help someone out." HOLY SH*T BATMAN! This is the last answer I expected.

Long story short, the label has our CD. They just called and want to listen to our backlog of recordings that we have. ALL OF THEM. They'll be picking them up tomorrow night (Saturday) at our show.

Questions:

1. Is this a good sign?

2. Should I be aware of any ulterior motives? Anyone else have a similar story?

3. Anyone have some good anti-anxiety breathing exercises? Pot smoking doesn't count.

Thanks for reading. Any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It ounds on the surface like a great opportunity.

I'd want to see what they're offering on paper, and have an entertainment lawyer go over it, but my take is that for all the negative talk about record companies here, hey aren't all bad, and there are some good people out there still. I produced a 20 year old kid's demo last summer, just because I think he's good and I want to help him. It happens.

• Members

I produced a 6 song demo for a guy in 2002 just because I liked him and his music. He paid me what he could afford to at the time. He now has a deal with Dreamworks and has written songs with producer Mike Elizondo. I helped him out a bit, but HIS talent is what got him where he's at.

Whenever people ask your permission to share your work with industry people it is a good sign that they respect your talent. If that attitude carries through the entire process, you can consider yourself very fortunate.

Rule #1 is that the quiet, reserved guy in the room is the smartest guy with all the power.

Rule #2 is that the guy who is all excited and blowing smoke up your ass is an idiot and a probably a liar. He can do absolutely nothing for you except derail your career.

Rule #3 is that the longer the dance, the better the marriage.

• Members

Long story short, the label has our CD. They just called and want to listen to our backlog of recordings that we have. ALL OF THEM. They'll be picking them up tomorrow night (Saturday) at our show. - Germs

Sounds good Germ. Have they seen your show yet? I hear the big guys don't sign anyone without seeing their show first. Knock 'em dead at the show!

Best, John:thu:

• Members

Dude, I can't believe you aren't ALREADY signed... that's not the kind of music I like but it sounds better than everything on the radio stations in that genre. Really kickass. Good for you! Get the offer and then shop it with other labels!

REmember me... I'm your friend before you got famous...

• Members

Dude, I can't believe you aren't ALREADY signed... that's not the kind of music I like but it sounds better than everything on the radio stations in that genre. Really kickass. Good for you! Get the offer and then shop it with other labels!

REmember me... I'm your friend before you got famous...

Yeah, they do have a very accessible and mainstream sound.

• Members

my advice to just see how it pans out. If at any point you feel uncomfortable or like something is up -- either be assertive and ask (that way they KNOW you're not stupid) or run for the hills. These things can look unbelievable sometimes, and we tend to go for them with blinders on. Just be aware of your surroundings and trust your gut. No one has a better idea of things than you do in those kinds of situations.

Congratulations!

• Members

^^^^^^^^^^^^

ahhh, the albini article. it's timeless, really. (i love the "warm" comment....he seems like someone i'd hang out with. :) )

another article/read worth your time is courtney love does the math AND million dollar mistakes by moses avalon. (with emphasis on the latter) Great orientations to a sleazy industry.

Look, I REALLY wish you the best. But what i want to know is: how many CDs have you sold out of the back of your car and WHY haven't they asked you about them yet? that's a HUGE consideration for record companies today. HUGE. very few deals are inked without the band having busted their asses on their own and having something to show vis-a-vis merch and CD sales....very few. bottom line IS CD sales. 99.9% of the time, labels won't ink on the merits of musical quality alone.

i'm in a current situation where i'm talking to some people of relative importance as well....and i have to say: beware of the music businessman who just wants to help. they ALL are "frustrated where the record industry is right now, wanting to do something different, and just want to help." Every single guy i've talked to is "doing it differently" and "just wants me to be able to concentrate on writing, recording and performing." if it's somebody with a studio who wants to produce like bluestrat with his buddy, i get it. it's good for them to 'just help' and get producer credit....at very little to no cost to themselves, but someone NON-musically involved....RED FLAGS, man.

i don't want to be an ass and ruin any hopes, but be VERY wary. ....and best of luck, man. really. i hope it works out for you. if it's any consolation, i'm just as freaked out [if not scared] as you are in this precise moment, too.

• Members

Thank you all for your words of encouragement!

Truth be told, this is not my first go round in the business. I've been in and out of deals in different bands since I was 18 years old. This is just the first major label that has had in interest in what I was doing. Currently, I am not under any obligation (through great personal effort on my part) to anyone in particular right now, so thank God for small miracles, or else I could be getting a phone call from a former label on the East Coast wondering why I'm about to enter into contract with the competition.

So far as the legal is concerned. My drummer's dad is an extremely influential attorney who has already promised his full attention -pro bono(!)- to our cause. I really think it's because he wants his son out of the house!

Now for the Negative Nancys out there: Yes, I have read the Albini article, I have also read Martin Atkins' book, "Tour:Smart" and just about everything else out there that is commercially available on the music industry. You might say that I have a desire to educate myself.

Interestingly, did you note that Albini and Atkins both played in Pigface and maintained a relationship by playing in a lot of other bands (though not at the same time)? It would seem that they ran (maybe still run) in the same circles. I find it engaging that these two opinions are on the whole vastly different and disagree on several key points alltogether. Though I find it good to get different opinions, it would seem to me that Albini is thoroughly negative in personality and has suffered misfortune through a general lack of business accumen. The learning curve is rather steep in the big leagues, and I find it disheartening that he would rather waste energy discouraging other people from even trying rather than turn his negative experiences into a positive.

That being said...

The label guys were a no-show on Saturday, and that is a bummer. I WILL be speaking to them on Wednesday. Though there was someone there who claimed to be from NBC. Hell, they had a business card...that has to count for something. I joked to my band that with the writers' strike, maybe the network has gotten desparate enough to feature unsigned talent on network television.

Get ready for a special episode of SNL featuring "Abrupt"!

• Members

Hey Germ,

Things do sound exciting for your band. You seem well educated on the subject of record companies, though keeping perspective of reality is also a useful tool.

Just one aspect I haven't seen mentioned on this thread; the major record companies are notorious for signing 20-30 bands at a time.

However, they usually only put their promotional money behind one or two out of them. So I'd keep the heat on these guys so you don't get lost in the shuffle. Let 'em know you're a force to be dealt with.

All and all, you seemed to have made a giant step. I wish you all the success!

Best, John:thu:

• Members

I would NEVER get sign DUDE!!! I'M not a SELLOUT!!!!!

psssst....hey you think your friend cold slip my cd to his family member!?!?!

Just Kidding!!! Congrats and good luck .... I hope things go really well. I love to name drop and say I "knew someone when".

If you do REALLY well, I'll probably end up telling people we went to school together!

j/k

Archived