Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copyright 101...before you ask, or POST, please take a look!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Bluesman001
    View Post

You're going to have to copyright both eventually anyways (lyrics and music).

agreed. Should I copyright the simple chord changes and lyrics and then the more intricate stuff later? And can I just write the chord changes in tab form or does it have to be played? It is not like I think my stuff is mind blowing but it is mine.

Comment

The way that the crappy gov website is setup, you can only do lyrics on one, then performance(music) on the other. I haven't gotten to the music side yet.

Anyone else want to chime in here?
      Honest Deals with Cavpilot, Drasp, EdgeOfDarkness, Jon Hiller, dreamspace , geekocaster, no fate, boonestunes, rer122504, guitarbilly74, Ender_rpm, zakkwyldefan79

My Gear: Ibanez JS-100, ESP LTD EC-400VF, Ibanez RG4EX1, 1999 US Fender Lone Star Strat, Line 6 Variax 500, Alvarez RD-8C Ac/El, Line 6 Pod HD-500, Bugera 1990 Head, Marshall 1936 2x12 cabinet

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by TIMP3
        View Post

I have the lyics to 12 songs that I would like to eventually record. I am not a good enough player now to make the songs the way i hear them in my head. All I have is simple "cowboy" chords worked out to the lyics. Should and can I copyright just the lyrics now and then the music later?

I also have the name of the album and would like to copyright that as well. Does that have to be done seperately or can I do the album name and the lyrics contained within?

thanks

Just submit the barebones of the songs with a simple accompaniment, there is no 'arrangement' requirement for a copyright...you are protecting the song, not the version you hear in your head. The final recorded version, if you really feel the need to spend money, can be filed under form SR (Sound Recording); this to my way of thinking is a total waste of time and money, but some people do it...

You can't copyright the album titile nor the song titles.

You can also copyright the entire 'album' as a single 'collection', and save yourself a lot of filing fees.
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

thank you. Now one more thing (sorry)- do I make the recordings, burn them to cd, and send that with a written copy of the lyrics? or just the cd?

thanks in advance and thanks for the "whole album" advice

Comment

Just a properly labeled CD.

Remember you are dealing with the Federal Government Bureaucracy here, so don't confuse them by sending more than one item
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

If you've read this whole thread you may come to the conclusion that if by some huge coincidence somebody wrote a song just like yours (or stole your masterpiece) and you somehow found out about it you will need deep pockets full of tons of cash to sue or if you have a great case and a lawyer actually takes it on speck and you win you probably will see no $.
              Sustain is for wimps

Comment

All those possiblities discussed here would never happen if you would compose original music. Originality is the one thing which unoriginal minds cannot feel the use of. And, it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation. Insist upon yourself. Be original.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by A. Einstein
                  View Post

All those possiblities discussed here would never happen if you would compose original music. Originality is the one thing which unoriginal minds cannot feel the use of. And, it is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation. Insist upon yourself. Be original.

I'm not sure what your talking about but let's say your original song (from the CD you put out with Tunecore) is used buy somebody as background music in a low budget cable TV show or minor movie.

Chances are you'll never find out about it. There is a lot of media out there.

like I said

If you've read this whole thread you may come to the conclusion that if by some huge coincidence somebody wrote a song just like yours (or stole your masterpiece) and you somehow found out about it you will need deep pockets full of tons of cash to sue or if you have a great case and a lawyer actually takes it on speck and you win you probably will see no $.
                  Sustain is for wimps

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by oldnewbie
                    View Post

Should I copyright before or after mastering?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStrat
                    View Post

You mean should you register? Your work is already copyrighted the minute it's put on tape.

Before or after mastering makes no difference unless you are radically altering the recording in some way, since mastering doesn't change the content of the recording.

What if the final track list isn't defined yet prior to mastering? (aka the song order isn't 100% decided yet) Can I still register my copyright, or do I need to wait until there's a definitive sequence?
                    Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Deadbeat Son
                      View Post

What if the final track list isn't defined yet prior to mastering? (aka the song order isn't 100% decided yet) Can I still register my copyright, or do I need to wait until there's a definitive sequence?

You are not registering the album, you are registering the songs. The order, arrangements, etc. mean nothing.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by daddymack
                        View Post

You are not registering the album, you are registering the songs. The order, arrangements, etc. mean nothing.

Thanks DM, just making sure since I was just going to register it via the SR (as a sound recording). I thought the differing order may constitute a different recording.
                        Since Dylan went electric, man things just ain't been the same; now DJs are making records, could you please just be ashamed? -- Two Cow Garage

Yes, I can actually play: Falstaff

Comment

• Haha! For years I thought mailing it to myself made it leigitimately copywritten... ignorance is bliss! #ohtobeyoungagain
                          sore throat singing

Comment

• Okay, here's a situation for you guys:

My band has just finished recording an album that we would like to distribute through the normal online channels (iTunes, Amazon, Bandcamp, etc). We play weird progressive metal that has zero practical appeal to commercial interests, so being used in someone's promotion is extremely unlikely. Pretty much anything we could feasibly be co-opted for would be okay by us as it's free exposure. We already know we aren't going to make a penny releasing this music. Ever.

Our main concern is establishing ourselves as the owners of the music so that we are free to use the above distribution channels. No one will ever want to cover this music, and any "suspiciously similar melodies" we may encounter will certainly be coincidental.

Does this information mean we only need to submit a Form-SR? Is there any reason to do a Form-PA if we don't care about anyone being "influenced" by our work?
                            http://soundcloud.com/crimsonmilk

http://www.last.fm/user/MyHomeInRlyeh

Comment

• you can do it either way, but as the authors, why not just file the PA and forget the SR?

Comment

• Rudolf von Hagenwil
                                Editing a comment

daddymack wrote:
                                you can do it either way, but as the authors, why not just file the PA and forget the SR?

Yes.

The music of American artists licenced to us is registered with an American authors society. Lets say an American songwriter composes a song for a South Korean artist, then the songwriter supplies after he registered the song at BMI or ASCAP. That's all it needs and the song enters the international data bank all authors societies worldwide have access to and know to where the royalties must  payed to.

• I think because we'd be more concerned with the recording than the songs. Also, I'm under the impression the distributors and aggregaters require you have the SR copyright.
                              http://soundcloud.com/crimsonmilk

http://www.last.fm/user/MyHomeInRlyeh

Comment

Working...
                              X