Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you PM me a link to a site like this?

Why PM??
    I don't get the secrecy
    The whole idea of forums like this is to spread information
    Sustain is for wimps

Comment

Why PM??
      I don't get the secrecy
      The whole idea of forums like this is to spread information

true i just didn't know whether it broke the rules for posting something like that I guess not since its a music biz forum
      BOO!

Comment

I found this thread thanks to a Google search and I joined just to ask a really major question: I'm a Christian rap artist and I recorded a remake of a popular 80's hit. I know it's a derivative work because I wrote ALL the rap lyrics and I rewrote the chorus, too. Plus my cousin that's been doing music for years completely redesigned the track without using ANY samples of the original arrangement of the song, in fact, the track sounds nothing like the original at all. The problem I have is that I'm nowhere near having my EP album ready for release and it's been brought to my attention that I should've gotten permission from the publisher to do this derivative work before we even recorded the track. Since I want to do everything by the book, what should I say when I contact the publisher for a mechanical license since I've already recorded the song?

Comment

I found this thread thanks to a Google search and I joined just to ask a really major question: I'm a Christian rap artist and I recorded a remake of a popular 80's hit. I know it's a derivative work because I wrote ALL the rap lyrics and I rewrote the chorus, too. Plus my cousin that's been doing music for years completely redesigned the track without using ANY samples of the original arrangement of the song, in fact, the track sounds nothing like the original at all. The problem I have is that I'm nowhere near having my EP album ready for release and it's been brought to my attention that I should've gotten permission from the publisher to do this derivative work before we even recorded the track. Since I want to do everything by the book, what should I say when I contact the publisher for a mechanical license since I've already recorded the song?

You should just be able to get the license from the Harry Fox Agency.
          http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

You should just be able to get the license from the Harry Fox Agency.

It said that I would have to contact the publisher directly since I'll probably order less than 2,600 once I complete my EP album(2 songs down, 4 or 5 to go!)

Comment

Does anybody know if YouTube pays ASCAP etc. like clubs and hotels that have live music doing covers have to?

{thread necromancy engage}

No. Otherwise they wouldn't need the audio fingerprinting algorithms that allow publishers/copyright holders to have lists of audio that trigger automatic take downs.

Though those algorithms don't account very well for fair use purposes, so themselves are problematic.

{/thread necromancy disengage}
              --------------------------------------------------------------------------
              "Vaginas are nice, but I wouldn't trade my balls for one." - boxorox

Comment

But if I record it and not intend to sell it?
                Noobie Dude. Noobie Dude. Noobie Dude.

Comment

If you record it as a demo, then it would not be for sale, so you could use it, and frankly no one from ASCAP/BMI will come knocking on your door at 3AM... but why go to the expense of recording a cover if not for sale at some point, unless it was a live demo?
                  "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

If you record it as a demo, then it would not be for sale, so you could use it, and frankly no one from ASCAP/BMI will come knocking on your door at 3AM... but why go to the expense of recording a cover if not for sale at some point, unless it was a live demo?

Good point.
                    I wanted to record it and use it as a freebie on our shows.
                    just to get popular and stuff.
                    Noobie Dude. Noobie Dude. Noobie Dude.

Comment

What does one do when they wish to record a cover song from an act/artist that is obscure, not listed on one of these sites, or you cannot find the artist to grant personal permissions?

Can you move forward with your recording with backlogged intent to pay residuals when/if the artist contacts you?

Comment

• daddymack
                      daddymack commented
                      Editing a comment

I assume this means you have tried contacting the original issuer? Meaning the label or publisher? Where did you find the song?

I'm curious how the issues of compulsory cover license, parody/fair use, and synchronization rights apply to the case of GoldieBlox and the Beastie Boys?
                    Here's a link to a summary of the story and the video: (http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/jurisprudence/2013/12/goldieblox_lawsuit_the_beastie_boys_should_lose_th eir_suit_against_the_toy.html)

Would Goldie Blox simply have had to file for the Compulsory Cover License with HFA in order to be clearly in the right? Or does the problem arise from the use of the parody in a commercial?

Comment

• daddymack
                      daddymack commented
                      Editing a comment

your link failed...but, absent any specifics, I would guess they should have paid for the license.

Working...
                  X