Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Permission for a Cover Song?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does this apply to digital distribution?

Also, what if the work is not for profit? Say you create a PodCast on iTunes, for instance. It's available to the public, but you can't keep track of distribution and there's no money involved.
    [Z?]
    http://soundcloud.com/mus0r

Comment

How does this apply to digital distribution?

Also, what if the work is not for profit? Say you create a PodCast on iTunes, for instance. It's available to the public, but you can't keep track of distribution and there's no money involved.

Along the same lines, What if you cover a song live and then allow downloads of the live cover either payed or unpaid. I wonder how that works. Bands like Gov't Mule cover 100's of songs a year and you can dowload any one of their shows for 11.99 ......Not to mention all the significant portions they quote during soloing etc. There are other bands that do the same thing. If you sell less then 500 copies do you not need a license?
      -Sugar Lime Blue's Website-
      -Sugar Lime Blue's Facebook
      -Reverbnation!

Comment

Harry Fox has a whole page devoted to digital licensing.
        http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Harry Fox has a whole page devoted to digital licensing.

So according to there site they will license downloads at a 150 Minimum.....and performance of covers is the same. So unless the rate for DPD is different then CDs 9.1¢ x 150 downloads(the minimum you can license through HFA) 13.65 +14.00 set up fee per song 27.65. or your looking at roughly another 18.5¢ per song for 150 downloads.

Doesn't really seem worth it to do a cover/live download after you figure in distribution, unless your moving product at a good rate
          -Sugar Lime Blue's Website-
          -Sugar Lime Blue's Facebook
          -Reverbnation!

Comment

crap, BS, another sticky in the making...
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
            "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Holy Crap! Does this mean my band has to pay $45-$50 for every cover song we do during live performances, or only the ones we put on a CD and sell?

Comment

Holy Crap! Does this mean my band has to pay $45-$50 for every cover song we do during live performances, or only the ones we put on a CD and sell?

Only on CDs...venues that hire cover acts are expected to pay an annual fee to ASCAP/BMI/etc. for 'free use' of published materials.
                "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
                "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

OK, I've been looking for the answer to this question and I'm getting close:

this is from the harry fox site, here: http://www.harryfox.com/public/infoFAQDigitalLicensing.jsp

---------------------------------------------------

Q. I am not charging anyone for the full permanent downloads on my website. Do they still have to be licensed?

A. Yes, it is required under U.S. Copyright Law. This is how the publisher - and ultimately the songwriter - gets compensated for the use of their song.

---------------------------------------------------<<

so yes, in the states... I'm in europe though so this doesn't help me much... I'll keep looking....

Comment

So according to there site they will license downloads at a 150 Minimum.....and performance of covers is the same. So unless the rate for DPD is different then CDs 9.1¢ x 150 downloads(the minimum you can license through HFA) 13.65 +14.00 set up fee per song 27.65. or your looking at roughly another 18.5¢ per song for 150 downloads.

Doesn't really seem worth it to do a cover/live download after you figure in distribution, unless your moving product at a good rate

If you go to a site like AmieStreet you'll find thousands of covers by garagebands and live recordings from gigs. The downloads start out free and then gradually get more expensive as they become more popular. Also sites like eMusic sell tracks for between .50 and .30 cents. You can't make any money with HarryFox that way.
                    I doubt that these folks paid HarryFox. Why should they? Most likely they would never sell enough to break even.
                    Sustain is for wimps

Comment

Why should they?

Whether they make money or not is irrelevant. They should pay because they're using someone else's songs for commercial purposes.
                      http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

A big "thank you" for this thread. Good info here.
                        Ex-retail, but forever a musician

The only true anti-GC community:
                        Big Box Music Sucks

Comment

Whether they make money or not is irrelevant. They should pay because they're using someone else's songs for commercial purposes.

Then the licensing fees should be fair
                          Sustain is for wimps

Comment

The license fees are fair. The real point is don't use other peoples' material for your profit. If you can't sell enough to cover the license fees, then you should consider not using/releasing them...because maybe, just maybe, the reason the fees seem exhorbitant is you don't have a marketable band, or you suck...

Comment

The license fees are fair. The real point is don't use other peoples' material for your profit. If you can't sell enough to cover the license fees, then you should consider not using/releasing them...because maybe, just maybe, the reason the fees seem exhorbitant is you don't have a marketable band, or you suck...
                              ME
                              Sustain is for wimps

Comment

9.1 cents per cover song per CD sold is too much for you? oke:

Comment

Working...
                                X