Sell to a Music Library?

Treves

• Members

Has anyone here sold anything to a music library? How did you go about doing so? A friend of a friend contacted me and asked me about this, and I really haven't looked into it at all (though I intended to do so toward the end of this year).

Thanks!

• Members

I have. I have a friend who does a lot of work with a music library, and he sub-contracted some work to me.

It's not easy to break into, though. I send out a ton of demos last year and didn't get any reply. Maybe I don't have good stuff, but the guys at the library my friend works for loved my stuff, so it can't be all that bad.

You have to be careful. A lot of places want you to give up your royalties. You should avoid this. First of all, because anyone who is willing to pay you up front for music is obviously recouping his investment on the backend. Usually they are recouping several times over.

A lot of other places will only cut you in on a commission if the work is sold. This isn't bad, but what incentive does the guy have for selling any tunes? Or more specifically, your tunes?

All it cost him to fill his library with your stuff was a promise.

I recommend, first of all, joining ASCAP or BMI. If you do find a place that will give you your writers/synch royalties, you'll need to be registered. Next, I'd take any good lead you have. If you are selling something without royalties, make sure it isn't your best idea. Ideas are your biggest asset in composing. Don't waste them on a quick hundred bucks.

• 10 years later...

Archived