Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

is there not a latest "music business" book available since the industry has changed drastically?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is there not a latest "music business" book available since the industry has changed drastically?

Or is the business still pretty much the same idea, just different methods?

I think there is so much ongoing paradigm shift that no one at this point in time can mount a seriously definitive book on the industry. There are a gazillion bloggers stepping around the issue that there is no good answer at the moment. The major labels are struggling and the independents are finding new avenues.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
    "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

• samal50
      samal50 commented
      Editing a comment
      Except the pop super power moguls still have their grip on the major music industry outlets!

Currently reading "How to Make It in the New Music Business" by Ari Herstand. I'm about halfway through. He covers a lot and provides specifics on what has worked for him, as well as what he sees working for other musicians he knows. Just published at the end of 2016, so it's the most up-to-date book out there that I'm aware of.
    Follow my newsletter about building an online audience. Msg me "I’m in"

Comment

Originally posted by brmichals View Post
      Currently reading "How to Make It in the New Music Business" by Ari Herstand. I'm about halfway through. He covers a lot and provides specifics on what has worked for him, as well as what he sees working for other musicians he knows. Just published at the end of 2016, so it's the most up-to-date book out there that I'm aware of.

Welcome to HC! Nice mini-review!

By any chance, do you know who the publisher is?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Ari Herstand is one of the bloggers I was referring to. I was not aware he had published abook. That said....he can make all the pronouncements, but he is not a household name [at least not as yet], so the things that 'work' for him are not large scale. Much of this depends on one's definition of success.
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
        "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply Phil. Just changed my settings so I'll receive notifications. The publisher of Ari's book is Liveright Publishing Corporation.
          Follow my newsletter about building an online audience. Msg me "I’m in"

Comment

Working...
          X